Author Topic: Favorite Big Game Memory  (Read 6307 times)

Offline terry

• Tech mogul
  • Go Stanford!
Re: Favorite Big Game Memory
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 10:15:48 pm »
Another Big Game memory . . .

1976 -- Jack Christiansen was fired as our coach the day before the game. He was carried on to the field by his players before the game -- only time I\'ve ever seen that. The game was a back-and-forth affair, with a little bit of everything. Stanford alternated Mike Cordova and Guy Benjamin at QB in the last game of their long-running QB controversy. Stanford\'s Mike Michel hit a 68 yard punt at a key moment. Late in the game, Stanford pinned UCBerkeley deep in its own territory. A UCBerkeley running back, Markey Crane, fumbled. Duncan McColl recovered for Stanford. Stanford scored with less than a minute remaining, with Ron Inge getting the TD. Stanford won, 27-24. A really entertaining game with a very satisfying result. But for me, the most memorable thing was that this game was my first date with a girl I liked. It worked out pretty well. We\'ve been married for almost 31 years.

Offline george

• LSJUMB Member
  • Never lost to Low APR U
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2010, 04:21:19 pm »
I\'d love to hear everybody else\'s.

Andrew Luck knocking Sean Cattouse on his rear during his 58 yard scamper.  Big Game 2010.

Offline Spiny_Norman

• Tree
  • Bring back 1-800-BEAT-C*A*L
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 04:26:27 pm »
Already up on youtube -

Call it "Cattouse on his caboose"
"We have an unwritten rule around here not to do anything stupid."
-Casey Jacobsen, Feb 3, 2000

Offline Nan3cy

• Tree
You win, Terry -
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2010, 04:36:05 pm »
What you got out of the 1976 Big Game is a lot more important than bragging rights for a year!  ;)

Offline fullmetal

• Supreme Court Justice
  • Make room in the cupboard for one more Cup.
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 08:07:44 pm »
I\'d love to hear everybody else\'s.

Andrew Luck knocking Sean Cattouse on his rear during his 58 yard scamper.  Big Game 2010.

This, too.  I was going nuts, jumping up and down, and so was the crowd here in Austin.  The Doug Baldwin double-coverage catch and the Doug Baldwin leaping TD reception were highlight-worthy plays as well.

Offline Mick

• Tree
  • Have been kissed on Kennedy Mall...
Favorite Big Game Memory is 2010
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2010, 07:30:54 am »
Luck running over #11 Cattouse, the Low APR U DB.  Simply outstanding.  Baldwin\'s reception between two DBs.  This is the best Big Game ever.

Second place for me was Tuan Van Le\'s block to preserve a 19-19 tie in 1988.  Happened right in front of me at Memorial Stadium, I had the world\'s crappiest seats, but they were perfect for that block.

Third place, Casey Moore\'s 94 yard run in 1999.

36-30 OT win in 2000 was pretty much fun.
"I was taught not to miss tackles.  That's the sign of a loser."

Offline Lurck42

• Honorable heathen
  • LSJUMB Member
  • Education is good.
    • The one the Only the truly incomparable.. DrH
Pushing RR Pie
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 06:57:36 pm »
Maybe that is where I caught the Schadenfreude addiction.

Found this recipe linked from a recent tweet by John Scalzi, frequent performer at W00tstock [think nerd party], whose first novel "Agent to the Stars" was an instant SF classic, favored even by the quilting Rocket Scientist.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2006/09/26/how-to-make-a-schadenfreude-pie/

Fair warning:  I\'ve never baked (anything), nor sampled this\'n..

/**** snipped..

Let’s face it, schadenfreude is a dark emotion. It deserves a dark pie. Here are your ingredients.

1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
3 large eggs (I used brown eggs in keeping with the spirit of things, but white eggs are fine)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 splash Kahlua or other coffee liqueur
1 graham cracker pie crust (9 or 10 inches). Choose regular or chocolate graham cracker crust according to taste.

***/

There was no doubt the farm would rush the field after total exercise of mastery Sat*rday.  Impressively, a two parter:  a) only *one* of your scholars staggered towards midfield before shaking his hindquarters (too) close to Memorial\'s student section, and b) none of our kids accepted the invitation to rock his world.  

In addition to your awesome coaches and players, gotta claim personal responsibility for the gross margin.  See, we\'ve stunk it up on the road all season, but not so much at home.  I just hadta lay on the Road Trip label by driving north from San Diego Friday afternoon. Big sigh.

Further trivia: Enjoyed the pregame warmup all morning from 860AM, thanks, except for one repeated misconception. No, actually CMS renovation doesn\'t start ahead of next week\'s game.  Apparently never again will our seasons finish with the BG, as Oski intended??

Now come on and bring home copious BCS treasure back to the rest of the Pac, thank you very much.

Wonderflonium:  do not bounce.

Offline optimistic

• Frosh
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2010, 09:03:06 pm »
One of my new favorites is the Low APR U announcer near the end of the third quarter asking for fans to look at the video board for the "Touchdown of the Game, presented by XYZ." Then dead silence.

Offline Yvonne

• Supreme Court Justice
  • Die Luft der Freiheit weht
Re: Pushing RR Pie
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2010, 09:21:07 pm »
There was no doubt the farm would rush the field after total exercise of mastery Sat*rday.  

Ah, Sat*rday, no doubt a remnant of our brief chat room, which replaced character strings, but not whole words.
Stanford: It's not the University of Phoenix with a golf course!

Offline garvin

• Little Leland
  • I'm a Stanford girl at heart, with a normal nose.
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 05:40:08 am »
I believe Lurck\'s "Sat*rday" allusion is to another board, long ago and far away, where the vengeful software declared war on a day of the week because its name contains a string of characters that, standing alone, are unfortunate. That day being a particularly important one during football season, posters frequently resorted to the asterisk to fool the software, which in the end was no match for crafty human obstreperousness.

Offline Yvonne

• Supreme Court Justice
  • Die Luft der Freiheit weht
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 06:40:26 am »
It wasn\'t the board; it was an experiment with chat room software, but the software didn\'t replace whole words, but strings. It was an attempt to keep chat clean because some 59ers "visitors" at the time -- during our seven year run -- took delight in referring to us as t---s.
Stanford: It's not the University of Phoenix with a golf course!

Offline garvin

• Little Leland
  • I'm a Stanford girl at heart, with a normal nose.
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 06:46:16 am »
Yvonne, I must respectfully disagree. I doubt if Lurck ever entered a Stanford chat room in his life. It was that entire board. I thought it was kind of amusing, personally.

Offline Lurck42

• Honorable heathen
  • LSJUMB Member
  • Education is good.
Bay Bicoastal-ism.
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 08:42:57 am »
I doubt if Lurck ever entered a Stanf*rd chat room in his life.

No, not on purpose anyways.  There is one vague memory of former me and cardb*ard\'s webmistress playing nice on chat when a thundering Blueblood unexpectedly came online too.  Game over. 

This fool adopted the habit of popping stars into certain words further back.   Turns out, posting anywhere frequented by friends from both sides of the rivalry, * is the only way to avoid giving offense to either community.  

There is at least one other cybear still doing the same back home btw.

Offline Redrum

• Supreme Court Justice
  • Has, too, been fully mooned on the Quad
History lesson for newbies
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 09:11:19 am »
Lurck remains the closest science and good luck ever came to creating a nice be.ar.    Not a "tame" be.ar.  But a nice be.ar.  A guy worth going to the trouble of trying to beat our be.ar extinguishing software by artful misspelling... even though he once posted photos of his trip to Alaska which, based on his photographic sample,  is completely overrun with be.ars.  No salmon.  No pipelines.  No Native Americans.  No glaciers.  No Mt. Denali.   No sweeping vistas.  Just fog and be.ars lolling about in the tussock grass.

We are, of course, talking about ancient history, here.  Back when real school red-hots  (or blue-hots)  created the first Stanford and kal bulletin boards.  Back before gigantic commercial sports entertainment cartels brought their cookie-cutter and their checkbooks to create the rigid sports board world we know today.   Heady days.  Lurck quite sensibly has adopted zen detachment to the whole 24/365 posting paradigm.   Too bad.   Such a reasonable guy...for a be.ar
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 09:12:33 am by Redrum »

Offline Lurck42

• Honorable heathen
  • LSJUMB Member
  • Education is good.
STOP, In The Name of L*ve.
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 10:08:46 am »
Just when I twig to Redrum\'s handle deriving from murdeR, he lays down the 13th generation southern gentleman chip, reminding of too long lost cardboarder Oasis.   Well played Sir RR.

Given Cardboard\'s liberal tolerance for thread stealing (??), ummm, really sorry about this guys, just gotta share one for instance from RR\'s cited album, plus maybe a few fbo SU masochists-only here: http://home.earthlink.net/~cupjay/alaska/alaska.html

Alrighty then, guess nows time to get out of Dodge.. o-o

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:17:02 am by Ferris_Bueller »