Author Topic: Welcome, new posters!  (Read 27353 times)

Offline bowlorbust

• LSJUMB Member
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +22
Re: Welcome new posters!
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2012, 07:01:51 am »
+2
Hi all,

Fun to be here. I am known as TMF79 on the Bootleg where I am a longtime ember (was one of the imortal 21 original lifetime fax subscribers). Adopted this handle before the 2009 campaign to use on Cardinal Report when Jim Rutter complained to me that I was adding credibility to the site because of the power of the TMF79 post.  A member of the class of 79 and a passionate Stanford Football supporter.

Offline freddot5

• Pro Fro
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2012, 09:48:40 am »
+2
Hi all,

Just registered after a short stint as a lurker (several months). Came west from the Boston area to attend graduate school at Stanford in 1970 (my undergraduate school is in New York state also with red as its primary color). Longtime sports nut but limited my association with Stanford sports at that point to football. Attended both victorious Rose Bowls in 1971 and 1972, had season football tickets through 2001 and attended every Big Game through that season. Have lived in Palo Alto since the early 70s and have attended various Stanford sporting events through the years depending especially on what our children were interested in (baseball, swimming, water polo, basketball, and soccer). My wife and I have been passionate women's basketball fans since 1994 going to many away games and Final 4s since 1996. Also on Bootleg but post infrequently. Find the Stanford athletic program unique among D1 schools especially with an emphasis on academics.

Online Leftcoast

• Tech mogul
  • Luft der Freiheit
  • Respect: +423
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2012, 05:49:32 pm »
Good to have two such knowledgeable folks join - I hope to see you posting!
In 1938 Neville Chamberlain declared "Peace in our time", Superman first appeared in Action Comics, Seabiscuit beat War Admiral ....... and C.a.l last won the Rose Bowl.

Offline ChicagoVisitor

• Daily editor
  • Respect: +96
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2012, 12:02:45 pm »
+1
Not an S.U. grad, first game I attended as a kid was the first home game after the consecutive Rose Bowl victories, West Virginia. So the '70s years were kind of an imprint, Jack Christiansen, the Mike Cordova, Guy Benjamin controversy, then the arrival of Walsh. Resident in the Midwest since the '90s, have always been a follower of Pac-10/12 teams.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:21:21 am by ChicagoOutsider »

Offline experimental

• Pro Fro
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +2
Re: Welcome, new posters!
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2012, 10:35:29 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

I'm a grad student here at Stanford. Decided to stop lurking  :).

Offline garvin

• Little Leland
  • I'm a Stanford girl at heart, with a normal nose.
  • Respect: +1372
« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2012, 09:50:04 am »
Good decision. Welcome aboard!

Offline stan01

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +69
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2012, 08:58:05 am »
+1
Hi everyone.  I'm a 2001 Stanford grad.  One of my favorite football memories is Stanford beating Low APR U in 1999 to win the Pac 10.  We were all waving red roses, while Kal fans seated above us tried to take aim at them with hard candy. 

Offline Yvonne

• Supreme Court Justice
  • Die Luft der Freiheit weht
  • Respect: +832
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2012, 10:02:48 am »
How very kind of them! It's a Jewish tradition to throw candy in synagogue on happy occasions such as the Saturday before a man gets married or during a bar/bat mitzvah..
Stanford: It's not the University of Phoenix with a golf course!

Offline dpbrewster

• Pro Fro
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2012, 04:41:31 pm »
+4
Don Brewster, Class of 1979.  Played Volleyball while at The Farm.  Football season ticket holder who has enjoyed the last two BCS bowl games immensely.  Aspire to be BobbK.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
---Hunter S. Thompson

Offline akiddoc

• LSJUMB Member
  • LSJUMB old fart
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2012, 11:31:14 pm »
Hey!?! Rutter never complained that I use the same handle on both boards. Guess I don't add credibility.  :P

Class of '78, live in Oakland.

Offline Braveheart

• DISHONORABLE Heathen
  • Frosh
  • 24 rose bowl victories
  • Respect: -9
    • The Ringer Independent Recruiting
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2012, 11:22:32 pm »
I'm everybody's favorite University of Spoiled Children fan. Surprised to see so many new members since the last time I posted here. Hope ya'll didn't miss me too much.

Offline CowboyIndian

• Tree
  • *%$#*@!
  • Respect: +779
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2012, 07:00:06 pm »
I see there's a new Cardboarder with the handle 'vickydrake'. Please tell me that's you, Vicky!

http://www.abm-enterprises.net/vickydrake.html
"Every morning I wake up and my girlfriend is not on the phone. It reminds me that she's gone. That's the hardest part." - Manti Te'o

Offline garvin

• Little Leland
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2012, 08:43:32 am »
Even more impressive than having Warren Wonka as a member.

Offline ebarws6

• Pro Fro
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2012, 03:14:56 am »
+6
Hello everyone,

I'm Michael, 17, from Alameda. My family has had season tickets for football since wayyy before I was born, as my Dad is an alum (c/o some time in the 70's, not sure many people know when their parents graduated). I've become an absolute nut over the years, and I like to think of myself as one of the biggest young fans the school has. I haven't just hopped on the bandwagon because of recent success, I've been in the stands ranging from the '00 Rose Bowl, to all of '06  :-[, to the last two BCS games.

I'll be around.

Offline garvin

• Little Leland
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2012, 08:20:49 am »
+1
Nice to meet you, Michael. Welcome aboard! Ask your dad if, when he was in school, he ever sat by somebody who kept screaming, "Don't throw the ball in the [mind-boggling compound expletive] ground again, Cordova!" If so, that might have been me. Well, okay, it might have been almost anybody. But anyway.