Author Topic: Baseball: v. Texas weekend series  (Read 1941 times)

Offline oman

• Tree
  • Reaching for zero respect one post at a time.
Baseball: v. Texas weekend series
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:08:28 pm »
Stanford seems to be coming out of the gate nicely.

Online washingtonismoney

• Tech mogul
  • Go Stanford!
Re: Baseball: v. Texas weekend series
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:48:42 pm »
Not bad for a team of victims. They'll never get drafted.

Offline fullmetal

• Tech mogul
  • Make room in the cupboard for one more Cup.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:52:08 pm »
Wish I could be there to see it, but we've had two years in a row where the series was in Austin, so it's only fair.  Good times.  Anytime Stanford baseball comes to Austin, we'll be there with a tailgate!

Offline wbbfan

• Stanford man or woman
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:57:49 am »
I was at the game last night, lucky me.    There was a good crowd and Texas was well represented and continued persistent cheering right up to the end.  There is a new student section in Sunken Diamond this year, which looked full.   Mark Appel looked very good, striking out ten in seven innings.   The offense was very impressive, Jake Stewart starting it off with a leadoff homerun, the team ending with twelve hits.   Lonnie Kapula, playing at shortstop this year, made a very fast and accurate throw early in the game and except for an error by Kenny Diekroger, the infield played very well.   I'm really excited about our prospects this year.

pincemob

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:29:16 pm »
Keith Law from ESPN was right on the money with his assessments of our team.  Appel continues to demonstrate the makings of a bust.   I see he was able to carry his no-hitter only as far as the 5th, clearly sputtering early.  He continued to demonstrate the lack of a strikeout pitch, fanning only 10 Longhorns.   I don't know how he expects to miss any bats at the next level which such terrible stuff. 

In addition, Marquess continues to smother our hitters.  You can particularly see the effects our our flawed approach in the top-4 hitters in the lineup.  They managed a mere 10 hits in 14 ABs against Texas.  These are the veterans of the Marquess "one size fits all" system, and you can really tell the negative impact of Stanford coaching in a game like this.   Gaffney continues to be "a mess"...that 0.421 average is not going to impress anyone.  If he were still playing at the same level he did in high school, his average would be 0.821.  The difference with the well-groomed Longhorns was stark.  While the Texas team had only 5 total hits, it was obvious that their hip turn was being properly unleashed unlike the Stanford stiffs.   

Kudos to Law and ESPN, that guy had some serious vision when he ripped the Cardinal last week.   

Online washingtonismoney

• Tech mogul
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:18:59 pm »
More confirmation from the scouts who know about the veritable malpractice--nay, child abuse, I say!--that Stanford is perpetrating on its poor players: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/weekend-preview/2012/2613026.html

Offline CowboyIndian

• Daily editor
  • *%$#*@!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 08:30:24 am »
More confirmation from the scouts who know about the veritable malpractice--nay, child abuse, I say!--that Stanford is perpetrating on its poor players: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/weekend-preview/2012/2613026.html

He didn't seem to like our pitching much.
"What really burns me up is that that a group of people back in New York who weren't even there, have the authority to call this game. It just isn't fair."
 - Mariet Ford

Offline terry

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 09:52:33 am »
Appel - 2 starts, 14 innings, 5 hits, 15 strikeouts, opposing avg .106, ERA 1.29

Mooneyham - 2 starts, 14 innings, 8 hits, 15 strikeouts, opposing avg .163, ERA 2.57

Too bad they can't pitch. . .   :P

Offline pefloresjr

• Dolly
  • Nerd Nation
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 01:53:15 pm »
Made it out to the game yesterday.  For Stanford, the pitching was great, the hitting was solid, and the defense was also great.  Texas was not as good in any area.  It's tough to draw many conclusions in baseball from seeing one game, but Stanford looks like a very competitive team this year. 

As for the criticism of Stanford for coaching their hitters to shorten up their swings with two strikes, it is one of the silliest things I have ever read.  It is absolutely fundamental baseball to shorten up and try to go to the right or up the middle with two strikes.  The idea that it doesn't work in the pros is beyond stupid.  There are power hitters in the pros who can't seem to shorten their swings, so they keep swinging away.  Their strikeouts go up, their on base percentage goes down, but they may get a few more power hits.  If you can teach them to use their power when the percentages favor the use of that power and hit for higher average when the percentages favor it, then you have the greates odds for success.  A co-worker of mine is married to a pro scout and he confirmed that Stanford focuses on traditional fundamentals in hitting and that it does not in any way hamper their development for the pros.  I couldn't read the insider article, so I can't comment on the author's beef with Stanford.  I can say he is wrong in his analysis as relayed by others.

Cheers,
Pete F/

Online washingtonismoney

• Tech mogul
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 02:07:15 pm »

He didn't seem to like our pitching much.

True, but he phrased it in a somewhat reasonable way that made him sound, well, reasonable. Law (the insider) is the guy "haters gonna hate" was invented for.

Offline Viking_Guy

• Tree
  • Purveyor of posts on women's b-ball and soccer
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 03:10:04 pm »
That non-major league hitting just put up THIRTEEN runs on Texas.

In one inning.

Stanford 14, Texas 1 in the top of the fifth.

VG

Offline Spiny_Norman

• Tree
  • Bring back 1-800-BEAT-C*A*L
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 03:14:57 pm »
14-1?  That's only two TDs.  I was at the game in Austin in 1999.

I hope that Stanford scores 69.
"We have an unwritten rule around here not to do anything stupid."
-Casey Jacobsen, Feb 3, 2000

Offline terry

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 04:15:02 pm »
How sweet it is to sweep Texas. I really love beating Cheatin' Augie Garrido.

Offline fullmetal

• Tech mogul
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 04:10:51 pm »
Texas isn't looking too hot right now.  They're 2-1 vs. Duke, 0-1 vs. UT-Arlington (saving his starters?), and 0-3 vs. Stanford to start the season.

Offline fullmetal

• Tech mogul
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 02:08:18 am »
I imagine Augie is pulling out some of his classic lines this season that he wishes he'd never have to use again.

(lots of swearing and cursing)