Author Topic: APR scores  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Yvonne

• Supreme Court Justice
  • Die Luft der Freiheit weht
  • Respect: +905
APR scores
« on: June 20, 2012, 06:09:24 pm »

The NCAA released its Academic Progress Report scores. Here are the Pac-12's.  I'll post a follow up with the explanation of these numbers when I can find it.

SportSchoolStateAcademic YearMulti-Year RatePenaltiesPostseason
FootballStanford UniversityCA2010 - 2011977
FootballUniversity of California, Los AngelesCA2010 - 2011956
FootballOregon State UniversityOR2010 - 2011955
FootballUniversity of ArizonaAZ2010 - 2011951
FootballUniversity of WashingtonWA2010 - 2011949
FootballUniversity of OregonOR2010 - 2011948
FootballUniversity of Southern CaliforniaCA2010 - 2011947
FootballArizona State UniversityAZ2010 - 2011937
FootballUniversity of California, BerkeleyCA2010 - 2011936
FootballWashington State UniversityWA2010 - 2011933
Stanford: It's not the University of Phoenix with a golf course!

Offline Yvonne

• Supreme Court Justice
Re: APR scores
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 06:56:45 pm »
Here's the NCAA's explanation: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Academics/Division+I/How+is+APR+calculated.

Basically, it's a measure of how many scholarship-receiving students are eligible and still in school.

Online CowboyIndian

• Tech mogul
  • *%$#*@!
  • Respect: +906
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:11:36 pm »
+1
Jeff Tedford has really turned the academic thing around at Kal, hasn't he?
"Every morning I wake up and my girlfriend is not on the phone. It reminds me that she's gone. That's the hardest part." - Manti Te'o

Offline 82lsju

• Dolly
  • retired Ultimate player
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 07:24:12 pm »
Jeff the UC system's highest paid employee has really turned the academic thing around at Kal, hasn't he?

now now, I'm sure any shortcomings are Tom Holmoe's fault, or they must be a conspiracy by UCB administrators to try and diminish the value of football to the University, or maybe some players leaving school early for the NFL, or some are players leaving school early for graduate school   :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:49:35 pm by 82lsju »
Eric

"And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving.  What's-a behind me is not important."

Offline FarmBoy

• Tree
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +517
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:44:48 pm »
+1
82lsju - i think the actual Kal party line on this goes something like "unlike some country club schools, our classes are rigorous and the grades have to be earned. this is just a sign of how academically challenging Kal is to the rest of the Pac12." Nevermind that doesn't explain why the football program isn't required to compensate for the difficulty of its classes by holding recruits to a high academic standard.

Kal fans laughed when one top recruit, Shaq Thompson iirc, mentioned the academics of UW as a main reason for choosing the Huskies over the B.ears. They ridiculed the idea that a UW degree was more prestigious to a Kal degree. The real question is whether a 70-80% chance of a UW degree is more valuable than a ~50% chance of attaining a Kal degree.

It's incredibly cynical, bordering on exploitation, to recruit and sign a bunch of players to your program who you know have little chance of actually graduating with a degree.

Offline OutsiderFan

• Tree
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +469
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 08:00:25 am »
+2
Well, the reality is California football has no identity or brand.  On the one hand it claims a rigorous curriculum and high standards, but on the other, it hold recruits to very low standards.

It's kind of like the program and the W-L record.  Fans talk about Rose Bowls, but then they openly accept 7-5 or 8-4 seasons.  It really doesn't matter who the head coach is, until standards are set and people are held accountable to them, there is no chance for excellence. 

I've heard of California football players being suspended from team activities for not doing enough to stay eligible, but never heard of anyone being suspended for failing to meet a program standard higher than rock bottom minimums.  Look at Zach Maynard, the Senior QB team leader.  He fell way behind in credits toward graduation and there have been rumors he might in fact not be able to pass enough classes to stay eligible and may have to miss the first four games of 2012.

Maynard should be removed from the team until his academic progress is at an acceptable level so a message is sent to all players that they can't slack off and expect to play because California has higher standards than others.  Instead, the lesson is just do enough to get by, we'll let you participate as you get your coursework done to get back to meeting minimum eligibility requirements.  That enabling mentality permeates the entire program and leads to the acceptance of mediocrity across the board.

Offline Yvonne

• Supreme Court Justice
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 10:36:38 am »
Speaking of brand, coach Shaw is using the APR information as he sells Stanford to recruits.

http://espn.go.com/blog/stanford-football/post/_/id/6700/

When I read his quotes about backing up the talk about being the best on and off the field, it reminded me of Willie Shaw's speech at the Fiesta Bowl rally. 

Offline doublespiral

• Frosh
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 02:31:15 pm »
If you want to see a graph of football scores by conference, these guys have done the charts: http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2012/6/20/3102677/football-apr-scores-broken-down-by-conference

If you want any sport, any school:
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/newmedia/public/rates/index5.html

Offline needle

• Tree
  • Respect: +136
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 02:53:44 pm »
Try applying for a job with a good APR score.

What matters much, much more is a school's graduation rate.

I'd like to see somebody study the correlation between APRs and graduate rates before I put much stock into APRs.

Offline Robbie

• Dolly
  • 1982: 20-19
  • Respect: +187
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 04:52:20 pm »
Note that the difference between first place and second place in the (old) Pac-10 is 21 APR points. The difference between 2nd and 10th is 23 points.
"Wir schweigen nicht, wir sind Euer böses Gewissen; die Weiße Rose läßt Euch keine Ruhe!"

Offline washingtonismoney

• Supreme Court Justice
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +1208
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 07:03:30 pm »
Wilner suggests trouble might start if you dip below 930 (http://bit.ly/MmXQSu). If so, this ought to be an area of concern for T.edford in addition to--and more important than--his struggles on the field.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:15:46 pm by Administrator »

Offline 81alum

• Tree
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +397
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 09:40:45 pm »
Try applying for a job with a good APR score.

What matters much, much more is a school's graduation rate.

I'd like to see somebody study the correlation between APRs and graduate rates before I put much stock into APRs.
The NCAA used to use graduation rates and changed to APR as a significant reform.  The problem with graduation rates is that they do not fully manifest until years after a coach or AD has done the damage.  APR shows up immediately so the current coach and current AD can be held accountable.

Believe me, many schools exploited the graduation rate time-lag to duck responsibility.  It was always the last administration's fault that students were not graduating, but the current coach and current AD were ALWAYS turning things around.  Even when they weren't.

Tedford has been there so long that the time-lag issue would not, of course, be a factor in his case.  But most schools cycle through football coaches at least once every four years--so in the past no one was ever held truly accountable for football players who did not graduate.  Now, if the APR drops, it reflects immediately on the current coach.

Online CowboyIndian

• Tech mogul
  • *%$#*@!
  • Respect: +906
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 10:06:35 pm »

the UC system's highest paid employee has been there so long that the time-lag issue would not, of course, be a factor in his case.

In T.edford's first year or two, much noise was made regarding the huge academic turnaround he'd wrought in the football program at the nation's #1 public university. I almost believed it.
"Every morning I wake up and my girlfriend is not on the phone. It reminds me that she's gone. That's the hardest part." - Manti Te'o

Offline garvin

• Little Leland
  • I'm a Stanford girl at heart, with a normal nose.
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 05:23:45 am »
I'm never certain I understand the APR completely, but I think it also doesn't penalize players for leaving for the pros early, as long as they were in good academic standing when they departed. There's a reasonable argument that that practice was unfair, that essentially it penalized good recruiting.

Offline Yvonne

• Supreme Court Justice
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 09:11:26 am »
How it's playing on the Kal Kampus:

http://bit.ly/MO1ibE