Poll

Cal lost their final game 62-14. They finish 3-9 (2-7 in conference.). What is Ted.ford's fate?  (The question is: what will happen, not what should happen.)

Ted.ford is fired
Ted.ford not fired, stays on at C.al

Author Topic: Poll ... Will Ted.ford survive at C.al  (Read 1051 times)

Offline estephan

• Dolly
  • Bet Cl
  • Respect: +90
Poll ... Will Ted.ford survive at C.al
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:20:39 am »

Simple poll on what will happen with Ted.ford after his abysmal season.

Online garvin

• Supreme Court Justice
  • I'm a Stanford girl at heart, with a normal nose.
  • Respect: +1683
Re: Poll ... Will Ted.ford survive at kal
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 06:18:50 am »
Before the game, I would have said he gets another year, regardless. But by all accounts, the 59ers played last night like they just didn't care. It's hard for me to imagine an AD who would think another season is going to change that.

Offline estephan

• Dolly
  • Bet Cl
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 03:52:44 pm »

That's what I think too -- even if someone objectively proved that Ted.ford had the talent to lead them, it seems clear it is too late for the culture of the team.   What a mess. I bet the C.al forums are despondent.

Online garvin

• Supreme Court Justice
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 05:25:20 am »
Interesting that no trigger was pulled on Sunday. Maybe the lawyers are meeting today?

Offline iyengar06

• Frosh
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 05:56:40 am »
I for one believe that Tedford will get one more year. I don't disagree with anything that's been stated by those who believe he will be - or at least ought to be - let go. The results have been dismal, the team appears to have quit, it's not a one-season hiccup, etc.

However, given Low APR U's financial situation, I have to think the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. Do you really want to shell out millions to rid yourself of Tedford, only to wind up stuck with Mike MacIntyre? I realize he's done a great job at SJSU, but the Pac-12 is a different animal.

I'd give Tedford one more year to recruit with the facilities he essentially built. But given the reality these days in college football, I realize he's probably long since overstayed his welcome.

Offline OutsiderFan

• Tree
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +570
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 06:00:46 am »
While many California fans will be concerned/disgusted with the fact there was no public announcement about JT's dismissal on Sunday, this does present a little bit different situation for California than your typical coach firing.

Take Derek Dooley at Tennessee, for example.  The guy coached three seasons and underperformed other previous coaches significantly.  No strong ties to the school, and having delivered it no glory, it was easy to just unceremoniously fire him.  Despite his recent record of failure, Tedford did in fact produce some things for California that hadn't been done before, and he played a key role in the facility upgrade and raising of expectations for the football program.  The school and many of its supporters see him as not just a mercenary football coach using Low APR U as a stepping stone to greater things.  They see him as a real part of their school and that makes handling this situation more difficult.  There are many people in the donor class who really like Tedford personally.

To me, this let's just call it "soft" attitude is part and parcel to why California football has been such a joke for most of the last 60 years, but this is just how it is with that school and its donor and fan base.  To me, when you are making a change, make it.  Be decisive, and put the interest of the school and its future ahead of emotions when you know a change is going to be made.  None of this touchy feely, nostalgia crap.  Knowing Low APR U, they will probably try to give JT some AD job he has proven by being a coaching failure, he can't do, just to avoid having to say goodbye.  Same mentality that saw Low APR U pay the legal fees of the treetards who sued them, after Low APR U WON the lawsuit they brought against the school.

That all said, I've been told by a solid source that he is gone, so until he isn't, the answer to the poll question is he is gone. 

Offline Yvonne

• Tech mogul
  • Die Luft der Freiheit weht
  • Respect: +1111
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 09:15:06 am »
It's Wilner, who might not be the best at game reporting, but seems to be good at following TV and contract info:

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status/270570509907922945
Stanford: It's not the University of Phoenix with a golf course!

Online washingtonismoney

• Tech mogul
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +1351
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 09:26:07 am »
If they can't even fire the guy right, what's supposed to give 59er fans any confidence that they'll hire right? (Petersen still #1 choice according to this which LOL: http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/jeff-tedford-fired-watch/2012/11/16/3657298/jeff-tedford-Low APR U-football-head-coaching-search-chris-petersen-hue-jackson-ron-rivera )

I mean, they do realize that getting the jump on the opposition is important, right?

Offline OutsiderFan

• Tree
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +570
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:49:01 am »
If they can't even fire the guy right, what's supposed to give 59er fans any confidence that they'll hire right? (Petersen still #1 choice according to this which LOL: http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/jeff-the UC system's highest paid employee-fired-watch/2012/11/16/3657298/jeff-the UC system's highest paid employee-the Pac-12 school with the lowest football graduation rate-football-head-coaching-search-chris-petersen-hue-jackson-ron-rivera )

I mean, they do realize that getting the jump on the opposition is important, right?

WIM, you aren't BCS game-less in over 50 years at the flagship university of the biggest state in the country by being competent.  "C.al" is a verb among many California fans I know, as in "to C.al" is to screw up that which can be.  If it is possible for UC to fire its underperforming head football coach, it is possible for them to do it very poorly, and of course, also hire the next one poorly as well.

Offline Yvonne

• Tech mogul
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 09:54:32 am »
Seriously? They use it the way we use 59er and UW uses coug?

That's funny. Sad, but funny.

Online garvin

• Supreme Court Justice
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 10:02:10 am »
That story linked by Yvonne suggests kal might be interested in Scott Frost. From Stanford to Nebraska to the 59ers, a tragic decline.

Online washingtonismoney

• Tech mogul
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +1351
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 10:21:49 am »
Wilner successfully trolls both kal and Stanford by saying it's his guess that T.edford stays: https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status/270580263510220800

Not quite sure what we've done to deserve a clear (if tricky to traverse) path in the Rose Bowl in Year One AAL plus Tedford being kept yet another year past his sell-by date, but it's nice to know I did something right in a previous life.

Offline Yvonne

• Tech mogul
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 10:34:56 am »
I'm guessing  you meant the blog item Washingtonismoney linked. That list is about as correct as the writer's sources that said the coach would be out by Sunday. It seems more like a wishlist.

If California does not have the money to buy out the coach's contract, it certainly does not have the money to hire any of those three. If/when Low APR U hires a new coach, it will probably be someone perceived to be an up and comer.

Online garvin

• Supreme Court Justice
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 10:42:36 am »
Sorry -- yes, referring to WIM's link. And I agree that all these lists are works of imagination. That said, I think the 59ers could affort Scott Frost, who's only an assistant, or San Jose State's Mike McIntyre, who can't be making that much money with the Spartans. And I'd guess if they could really get Chris Petersen, the donors would be willing to dig deep in their pockets to land him. But if he turned down UCLA and Stanford, I don't know why the 59ers think he'd be interested in them.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 11:01:34 am by garvin »

Offline Yvonne

• Tech mogul
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 10:45:25 am »
+1
Mike McIntyre might be a good hire.