Author Topic: Richard Sherman = classless  (Read 7115 times)

Online PrinceLightfoot

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +200
Re: Richard Sherman = classless
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2014, 08:35:48 am »
Richard Sherman responds to last night in his own words.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/20/richard-sherman-interview-michael-crabtree/

For those wondering about the previous altercation with Crabtree he mentions in the article:

Sherman has been upset with Crabtree since last summer. Both attended Arizona star receiver Larry Fitzgerald’s charity event. While there, Sherman went to shake Crabtree’s hand, and Crabtree tried to start a fight, according to Sherman’s older brother, Branton.

“I’m going to make a play and embarrass him,” Richard Sherman vowed that day.

(via http://seattletimes.com/html/jerrybrewer/2022711709_brewercolumnseahawks20xml.html)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:44:47 pm by PrinceLightfoot »
If I had a dollar every time I was distracted,  I wish I had some ice cream.

Offline needle

• Tree
  • Respect: +129
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 08:42:13 am »
From Sherm's column:

It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am.

That really sums it up, doesn't it?

Online garvin

• Little Leland
  • I'm a Stanford girl at heart, with a normal nose.
  • Respect: +1467
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 08:50:23 am »
+9
1. I wonder how many of the people on this board trashing Sherman felt similarly when Jim Harbaugh went for two against Clown College. My recollection is that the board overwhelmingly supported Harbaugh. What's the difference?

2. Why is Crabtree's refusal to shake Sherman's hand understandable, but Sherman's rant a cold-blooded act of evil? What's the difference? They dissed one another. Not my favorite mode of post-game behavior, but unlike, say, writing an op-ed column urging fans to assault an opposition mascot, not anything that truly upsets me.

If Sherman went to Low APR U or University of Spoiled Children , wouldn't people here be pillorying him in a savage way for his interview?  Nobody would be considering how great a guy he might be off the field, would they?

If Sherman went to Clown College. or the 59er institution, he wouldn't be a great guy. He would be an evil swine.

4. I am extremely proud that Richard Sherman went to Stanford. He grew up in Compton and stayed on the right path and came to a school that had a crummy football team but great academics, exactly the reverse of what most guys in his situation would have done. He got his degree and he made our football team better. He is a walking, talking, pass-intercepting refutation of the phony country-club stereotype that Stanford's enemies promote. I wish that he would tone it down a little, and I wish that Andrew Luck had a better beard. Neither of those affect my fundamental pride in sharing a diploma with those guys.

5. And even if the worst accusations made against Sherman in this thread were true, it would clearly be the result of forced association with Pete Carroll and Marshawn Lynch, op cit #3.

Offline ahuang06

• Stanford man or woman
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 09:06:26 am »
+2
I certainly had more than a few Stanford classmates that were boastful, arrogant pricks (that were usually wildly smart or talented - damn them!) - it's kind of ridiculous to want our football team to be a team of Andrew Lucks. Any school of reasonable size is going to have a lot of different personalities - some you like, some you don't, and some you only like some of the time. Being embarrassed/disagraced/what-have-you by that seems like an overreaction.

Offline stupac2

• Tree
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +332
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 09:22:46 am »
+1
If Sherman went to Low APR U or University of Spoiled Children , wouldn't people here be pillorying him in a savage way for his interview?  Nobody would be considering how great a guy he might be off the field, would they?

What's odd is this whole "we've never walked in his shoes so we can't judge him" attitude sounds far more UC-like than Stanford-like.  Whatever happened to uncompromising standards?  Would Sherman have been admitted to Stanford if that post-game rant were part of his application?

There are many good people who do bad things, but just because people to a lot of good, we don't as a society let bad deeds go unpunished.  There many people in prison who have done many good things.

I was defending Winston's post-game interview against similar inane accusations. I just don't think this is a big deal either way.

Also, I've definitely previously posted that I'm ambivalent about him, but I think this reaction is seriously overblown.

Offline Mick

• Tree
  • Have been kissed on Kennedy Mall...
  • Respect: +266
Great find, great comments
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 10:26:37 am »
+1
I turned it off after the interception. Was there anything beyond the choking motion he made?

I was watching the game with my son and pointing out Baldwin adn Sherman as they made impact plays. It was a great lesson at the end of the game that great players are not necessarily great people. In the end, he's human. He does some good (the work with kids in Compton) and some bad (the way he acted playing New England for example.)

Here's an interesting take on Harbaugh vs. Carroll: http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/18/doug-baldwin-richard-sherman-jim-harbaugh-pete-carroll/

It seems Carroll let's Sherman "be himself." I can see why Harbaugh would try to bottle some of that up...

Really liked this post, farmboy.  Feel exactly the same way.  And while we're on the topic, let me offer a slightly alternative thought.

I didn't attend Stanford, though I've been a fan of Stanford football and Stanford sports for more than forty years.  One of the proudest days of my life was when a coach at Stanford told my son a spot on the team was his if he wanted it, and one of the saddest days came when he told me he wanted to be at least 500 miles away from the family home.   ;)

Still, I understand the comments on Sherman, particularly from Stanford alums. You went to school with these people, virtually all the Stanford folks I've met are really great  people (personally and professionally), and it's important to all of you that those athletes fit the same profile.  I feel the same way about Santa Clara alums, I like to see good people like Nash and it makes me cringe when a former Santa Clara athlete acts badly in public.

Virtually all of the Stanford athletes act in a conventionally "classy" manner in public, so we're tempted to want to put them all in that category.  We want everyone to be Andrew Luck.  And that's fine, but for me, I distinctly remembered the personalities of the great athletes I knew growing up, and most were dirtbags, to be candid.

When I was 12, I loved basketball and the Warriors won the NBA championship.  Rick Barry was my favorite player.  My dad and I went to the SF airport  to pick up my stepmother who was returning from Phoenix.  In the pre-charter flight days, the W's flew commercial, and Barry walked out wearing a knee length rabbitskin coat...probably 100 rabbitskins, all different colors (it was 1975 after all).  My dad suggested I get his autograph, but he had a well-deserved reputation even then as being a jerk...and I wasn't an autograph seeker in any event.

So I appreciate the athletic skills of Richard Sherman, and Jim Harbaugh, and Rick Barry, and Pete Rose and all the other great athletes I've seen over the years.  But both my admiration and any personal concern absolutely stops when the game clock hits 0:00.  I'm quite certain that everyone on this board has had personal experiences with athletes that were, shall we say, different from their public reputations.

Charles Barkley said the only hero you need is the one at the dinner table (or words to that effect).  I've always felt that.  So I'll always admire Richard Sherman the athlete, and I appreciated what he did at Stanford, but I couldn't care less about Richard Sherman the person.  After all, I'm not hiring him to teach my kids etiquette...
"I was taught not to miss tackles.  That's the sign of a loser."

Offline Mick

• Tree
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2014, 10:29:17 am »
+3
It was rather classless, but it was enhanced by a complete lack of respect displayed by the 49ers for the best CB in the NFL, or at least their division.

Why is that a lack of respect?  Are the 49ers not allowed to throw to his side of the field? 

Offline Mick

• Tree
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2014, 10:30:52 am »
In the post game Colin was very clear that it did not matter who was on Crab, he was going to throw it to him since the coverage was man to man, one on one.

It was one on one coverage?  Sherman only knocked the ball up, he didn't intercept it.  If it was just the two of them, the ball falls and the Niners get another play.  There were two guys on Crabtree, the other one got the actual interception.

Offline Mick

• Tree
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2014, 10:32:30 am »
Yeah, he's the type of player who turns the thinnest of slights into intense motivation. 

I know a red-and-gold wearing QB who does this too...

Offline Mick

• Tree
Re: Amazing this focus on Sherman being Sherman
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2014, 10:41:53 am »
There must be more than a million things in the lives of each person here that are more important than Richard Sherman and his outburst.  Your spouse, your kids, your God, Stanford football, your honor,  your commitments, your health, sex,  drought, endless foreign wars, a Congress and President on stupid pills, the homeless guy begging at the stoplight, your abs,  that funny knocking noise when your car starts cold in the morning, moles in your lawn,  moles in the CIA, your mortgage, Dish vs. Comcast,  getting your kids to the soccer game on time...

There are.  And I wouldn't write about a single one of them on this board...;)

Offline Mick

• Tree
Put yourself in Sherman's shoes
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2014, 10:45:58 am »
Oh come on guys. I was on a plane and couldn't watch te second half of the game, but he's clearly just amped after winning. Sherman obviously isn't the most polished speaker in the world, but so what? He made a great play over a very good receiver who had previously been trashing him in public. What do you want him to do?

Actually, I'd take it a little farther than that.  Not only did he make a great play over a great receiver who had trashed him in public; if he doesn't make that play, the Seahawks lose the game and don't get to the Super Bowl.  He's in his home stadium, makes the play of his life, and he vents seconds after it happens on national TV.

And let's not forget this one little crucial fact...if we were in RS's shoes, we might not have said what he said (at least not in the same way), but sure as taxes would we be thinking it.

And candidly, after watching the review a few times...I think part of RS's enthusiasm is relief at having made the play.  Because another foot or two farther, and it's TD 49ers, and the Seahawks stay home.  A better pass wins it for SF.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:06:16 pm by Mick »

Offline Mick

• Tree
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2014, 10:47:10 am »
Why is Crabtree's refusal to shake Sherman's hand understandable, but Sherman's rant a cold-blooded act of evil? What's the difference? They dissed one another. Not my favorite mode of post-game behavior, but unlike, say, writing an op-ed column urging fans to assault an opposition mascot, not anything that truly upsets me.

Because I prefer red-and-gold laundry over green-and-blue laundry.

Online OutsiderFan

• Tree
  • Go Stanford!
  • Respect: +480
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2014, 11:17:19 am »
+1
I'll be the first to admit Michael Crabtree is not winning any congeniality contests.  My cousin had a run-in with him several years ago.  She said the guy was full of himself and a real prick.  She also met Patrick Willis, who she said was the polar opposite of Crabtree, humble, and a total gentleman.  So this story about Crabree and Sherman last Summer doesn't surprise me.  In other words, I'm sure Crabtree wasn't the best sport after the game clinching play.

The greater issue here, that applies to everyone, is, you have two ways to go when someone does something upsetting.  You can take the high road and elevate yourself, or you can sink to the other's level.  By doing what he did, Sherman shrank to Crabtree's level. 

I had a good friend today tell me she looked up where Sherman went to school after reading a story about his post-game rant.  Suffice it to say Stanford went down a notch in her book, and I'm sure she isn't the only one.

Offline SUBuddha

• Daily editor
  • HAAAA BIG RED!
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2014, 11:19:55 am »
Sherman's "rant" and calling out his opponent reminded me very much of Ali in his prime, as did the national response.  I had no problem with it (the rant, I had a problem with a lot of the responses).  I am fine with Andrew being Andrew and Richard being Richard.  I DID lose a lot of respect for Dave Lombardi after his long series of tweets aggressively attacking Sherman and tweeting several times that Sherman's behavior is caused by PED use.

Exactly this. Sherman uses ALi as a model for his public persona. Lombardi also lost many points with me as well.
Huck the Fuskies

Offline jeboody

• LSJUMB Member
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2014, 11:37:47 am »
FYI: y'all (CornFed, LeftCoast, Garvin) are being quoted in SFGate

http://blog.sfgate.com/stanfordsports/2014/01/20/richard-sherman-an-embarrassment-to-stanford/
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:51:24 am by jeboody »