The CardBoard

Author Topic: WBB: Stanford 72 New Mexico State 64  (Read 1498 times)

Offline 81alum

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
WBB: Stanford 72 New Mexico State 64
« on: March 18, 2017, 12:43:11 am »
Preview:
We start against New Mexico State--I wonder if Alexa has friends on that team.  They have won 17 in a row after starting 5-6.  They haven't played anybody in the top 50--but that makes them a bit dangerous--no one really knows their ceiling now.  They beat CSU Bakersfield 69-55 while we won 77-56.  Their RPI is about the same as Arizona's.

This is a really interesting Tom Fitzgerald article on how Stanford prepares defensively:
http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Defense-carries-Stanford-women-into-the-Big-Dance-11010729.php

And an interesting Sports Illustrated article on Erica:
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/17/stanford-basketball-erica-mccall-uconn-womens-ncaa-tournament

Overview:

New Mexico State shot 67% in the first half but we reduced them to 42% for the game, and we finally solved the NMS defense and started feeding Alanna Smith the ball on the low block for reliable points.  This propelled us to a difficult first round win in a game in which we trailed for three quarters.

Flow of the Game:

New Mexico State came out and hit several mid range jumpers in a row--a good formula for dealing with our defense.  At the other end we were pretty cold, and Kaylee missed a point blank layup.  Offensive rebounding and a large height advantage gave us multiple chances--which we needed.  Even so, the quick and accurate New Mexico State players got out to an 11-7 lead by the first break.  Karlie got her stroke going and was 3/4 from three point range which helped to keep us close, but our defense was giving up too many drives into the lane.  Kaylee and Erica were 0/4. New Mexico State shot 63% and we shot 41%, leading to the first quarter deficit 20-23. 

In the second quarter our defense improved, but our offense did not, with Bri making the only basket in a six minute stretch to open the quarter.  Then the defense broke down too, giving up a 10-2 run to end the half.  New Mexico State scored a trey after a missed free throw as time expired to put them up 38-31 at the half. 

By halftime, New Mexico state was shooting 54% to our 34%, and while they had 10 turnovers we had 11, and five of their players had each made 1 trey shooting 67% collectively.  Their ability to shoot threes and also to penetrate had proven very difficult to defend.

In the third quarter, Alanna Smith began to start hitting from the right block, and Karlie continued her winning treys, and we pulled even by the advertising break in the third.  But for some unfathomable reason, we stopped going to Alanna down low.  At the other end, Kaylee was called for a flagrant-1 after aggressively trying to clear a rebound.  She was emotional on the bench.  But Britt got a fast break + 1 at the other end to temporarily erase the bad memories and take the lead.  By the end of the quarter the lead had seesawed a few times, but the New Mexico State star Mack picked up her 4th foul.  Alanna picked up two quick fouls for a total of three, though, and I got nervous about the status of our most reliable offensive player.  The quarter ended New Mexico State 49 Stanford 48

The fourth quarter started badly as we gave up a trey, but then Alanna countered with a trey of her own, and on the next possession got the ball on the right block and converted for the lead.  After we gave up free throws, Britt made a layup and then a jumper for a three point lead.  Then Erica scored a layup + 1, we gave up a layup the other way, and Smith scored on an O-board off of her own missed shot from--of course--the right block, which gave us a 63-58 lead with four minutes left.   From this point we ground it out as we rediscovered points-in-the-paint, with a McPhee jumper, two more Alanna Smith layups, and a few free throws to finish off the game with an 11-3 run and a hard fought 72-64 victory.

Performances:

Our defense dramatically improved in the second half, lowering NMS's shooting from 67% in the first quarter to 42% overall--about the same as our shooting at 42%.  Both sides made 8 treys although NMS shot them at a higher percent thanks to their scorching first half.  Both sides made 12 free throws.  Turnovers and fouls were about even by the end.  But the most extreme stat difference were blocks--we had 12 to their 1.  We also had 17 offensive rebounds to their 10.  In other words, it was our sheer size that won this game for us.  We will have to do much better than this when we match up against physically equal teams.

Alanna was once again the offensive savior, with 19 points on 8/12 shooting.  She also snagged 11 rebounds for a double/double, and a whopping 6 blocks.  We are seeing next year's superstar.  In addition to a trey, I think she took nearly all of her shots from the right block, and they did not seem to be able to stop her.  We should have started feeding it to her earlier, but they sometimes fronted her to prevent the entry pass.

Karlie was 5/9 from three point range and kept us in the game early on.  She also had 5 assists and 3 steals.  We will really, really miss all of her comprehensive stat lines.

McPhee had 16 points, but was 0/5 from three point range.  But she was a perfect 4/4 with her free throws, and had 5 steals.

Erica had 12 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 9 points on 3/10 shooting.  Her jumpshot has just not been quite there for the second half of the season, but she still contributes in so many ways. 

Bri was 2/5 from three point range and finished with 6 points, 3 assists, and 2 turnovers.

Marta had 5 points to go with 5 assists and 2 turnovers. 

Kaylee had a rough night. I don't think she returned after the flagrant foul.  When the season is over I expect we will learn more about her health.  One thing is clear, though, no matter what is going on with her offense, she remains a superb rebounder.   She only played 10 minutes and had 6 rebounds. 

Conclusion:

We have a pattern of our defense not playing well in the first quarter--for several games in a row now.  Tonight, it didn't start playing all that well until the second half.  Our offense has not looked like a juggernaut all year, so we absolutely must find a way to get our defense going from the first minute if we expect to advance very far in this tournament. 

Meanwhile, I wonder if it is time to dust off the triangle again to start feeding Alanna the ball down low.  I wonder if she can score from the left block?  The next game should be interesting....I suspect Drake is going to give KSU a major challenge.  Not sure which team I would rather face--probably KSU after seeing what a small, quick accurate team like New Mexico State can do to us.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 05:42:47 pm by 81alum »

Offline SamuelMcF

• Frosh
  • Still not sure how I got here, but I love it
Re: WBB: Stanford vs. New Mexico State 1030 am pacific
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 10:55:10 am »
We started off ice-cold...again. 3-10 on FGs in the first 5 mins, and on our first possession with points it took us about 6 offensive rebounds to score. 11-7 NMSU.

I'm not worried though - this seems to be a trend before we heat up later.

Offline SamuelMcF

• Frosh
  • Still not sure how I got here, but I love it
Re: WBB: Stanford 7 New Mexico State 11 in early going
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 11:05:18 am »
23-20 after the 1st q.

Offline TheFarm07

• Dolly
  • Go Stanford!
Re: WBB: Stanford 7 New Mexico State 11 in early going
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 11:05:34 am »
We are down 20-23 after one quarter.

NM State cannot miss, shooting 60%+ from the field. Tara will not be pleased.

Conversely, we started off cold and only due to an insane 4 or 5 offensive rebounds in one of our early possessions were we able to score.

However, Karlie has started off hot from long range and Smith has contributed a couple baskets early. Also, their star player Mack got called for her second foul late in the quarter and has to sit.

We need to find a way to cool them off.

Offline JJJ

• Tree
  • All Right Now!!!
Re: WBB: Stanford 20 New Mexico State 23 in early going
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 11:11:25 am »
2 fouls apiece on 2 key NMSt players. 7mins+ left in 2Q. This is a good sign.

Offline mbdude

• Frosh
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:14:12 am »
brit missing - and some non-thinking plays

Offline mbdude

• Frosh
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 11:26:11 am »
Kaylee is our time running out play! Carrington fouls and they make a 3!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:28:04 am by mbdude »

Offline TheFarm07

• Dolly
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 11:29:17 am »
So many mistakes. Our defense has improved somewhat, but we are wasting turnover opportunities with poor decision-making and our bad habit of missing layups has reared its ugly head again.

Ugh, where is the offense? Double ugh, buzzer beating 3 pointer extends the Aggies lead to 7.

Plus McCall and Samuelson have 2 fouls each.

We still have an entire half, but the concerns we've had all season are here again and would be a hugely embarrassing loss for us if they result in our defeat. Silly mistakes, no offensive flow, a lackluster defense might be our undoing and unlike the rest of the season, one bad game means the end of the season

As great as Tara's career has been, to be the only program in either tournaments to lose as a #1 and #2 seed in the 1st round would not be something she wants
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:33:59 am by TheFarm07 »

Offline 81alum

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
Re: WBB: Stanford 31 New Mexico State 38 at the half
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 11:32:07 am »
Tara needs to make some defensive and offensive adjustments at the half if we are going to avoid being the only 2 seed to lose to a 15 seed in history--an ugly title to go along with our 1/16 Harvard loss in 1998.

On defense we are giving up to much penetration of their quick guards right up the lane.  On offense we are not getting the ball inside to our bigs, and they miss when we do.  Tara went with four guards for a stretch and this did not seem to work either offensively or defensively.

Oregon State had big problems yesterday, winning its opener by a single point. 

I hope New Mexico State's shooting returns to the mean in the second half and that our bigs start converting inside.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:38:50 am by 81alum »

Offline mbdude

• Frosh
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 11:36:51 am »
Kaylee 0-2 Smith 2-3 McCall 1-3 Brit missed a few inside 2-8

Offline 81alum

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 11:43:12 am »
Shades of Gonzaga.

Offline 81alum

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
Re: WBB: Stanford 43 New Mexico State 43 in the third
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 11:54:26 am »
Alanna is heating up.  Feed her on the right block for the rest of the game, or until they have to sell out to stop her!

Offline TheFarm07

• Dolly
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 11:58:39 am »
Turned the game back on, to see we tied the game, but first possession I see is another unforced error, trying to pass inside resulting in a turnover and then a potential fragrant foul on Kaylee trying to gain possession of a rebound and hitting a NM State player in the throat. Ugh.

Offline MT

• Dolly
  • My wisest posts are the ones I decide not to post.
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 11:59:58 am »
The WORST officiating call I've seen!!

Offline MT

• Dolly
  • My wisest posts are the ones I decide not to post.
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 12:06:36 pm »
And another bad call at 1:55 in the 3rd.   Can the officials make it clearer which team they want to win?
Both of Alanna's feet were fixed and she didn't shift here weight at all.