The CardBoard

Author Topic: WBB: Stanford 69 Kansas State 48  (Read 4028 times)

Offline 81alum

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
WBB: Stanford 69 Kansas State 48
« on: March 18, 2017, 08:09:21 pm »
Preview:
Kansas State is 23-10 and 4th in the Big 12, but gets a very favorable 18 ranking from Sagarin and a 24 ranking from AP.  Many of their losses were not bad losses--they played Texas tight two times, and kept within 20 of UConn and Baylor.  Kansas State's 6'5" center Breanna Lewis is coming off of a 23 point 11 rebound game.  In addition to the center, KSU's leading scorer is Kindred Wesseman, who has made 89 threes.  Wesseman is a 5'7" senior.  I expect to see Bri blanketing her, and Lewis getting plenty of double teams. 

Good Fitzgerald article:
http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Stanford-women-will-face-tough-center-crowd-at-11013234.php

Overview:

McPhee with 5/7 three point shooting and 21 points total, and Alanna with 19, keyed this relative easy drubbing of Kansas State.   17 second chance points compared with their 2 had something to do with it.

Flow of the Game:

The first quarter began with a relatively fast pace, and it was clear from the start that Stanford was going to attempt to use speed to penetrate the lane.   KSU played a box-and-1 junk zone, with four players packed in and 1 always on Karlie to take her shooting away.  We seemed to be ready for it. Erica began with a soft jumper, but Britt drove for a layup, Kaylee made a layup, Marta drove for a layup, Alanna made a layup +1, and Britt hit a swooshing trey to tell the world that she really can shoot from range.  Marta drove several times and made one.  The team must have been ordered to drive on the basket.  On defense we generally kept Lewis from getting the ball, but she made a nice hook when she did, and Wesemann hit a trey the one time Marta went under a screen on her.  But the first quarter ended Stanford 17 KSU 12 with encouraging play from Britt and Alanna in particular.  Erica went out with one foul with 4:34 left, and we saw the odd combination of Kaylee with Alanna, and Nadia with Alanna, but no more Erica for the rest of the quarter.

The second quarter began with a McPhee trey, the first of three in the second quarter to give her 4/4 from range for the half.  Alanna hit a trey too, Kayle made a very nice jumper, Erica a couple of shots, and we were off to an 11-0 run to start the second quarter.  KSU had to put their star Breanna Lewis back in the game with 2 fouls and finally they started to score a little, but by halftime we led 39-21.

At the half, Britt had 16 points, Erica, Kayle, and Alanna each had around half a dozen.  We had 6 offensive rebounds to their 0 and 12 assists to their 5, and there was really no hint that KSU could seriously threaten us.  I would have to say that the box-and-1 that shut down Karlie was quite liberating for our other three point shooters--Britt in particular!

The third quarter opened up with an 8-1 run keyed by two assists each by McPhee and Sniezek--Sniezek's were particularly pretty and brought smiles and energy all around.  But KSU responded with a 9-0 run as Lewis began to make her hooks and layups.  Karlie put an end to their run with a swooshing trey--only her second shot of the game, and the quarter ended Stanford 50 KSU 32.

The fourth quarter opened with a KSU trey to cut our lead to 15 and it felt for a moment that Kansas State was going to make a game out of it.  But McPhee, Erica, Alanna, and Karlie made baskets in rapid succession and a 9-0 run gave us a 24 point lead.  From this point there were an increasing number of substitutions as the game drifted to a 69-48 close.

Performances:

As mentioned, we had a net +15 on second chance points, but perhaps the most amazing state was 23 assists on 26 made baskets.

McPhee has to be called out for outstanding play.  Not only 5/7 from three point range, but also 7 rebounds and 5 assists.

Roberson had 6 assists and 0 turnovers--plus she played outstanding defense on Wesemann, letting her take just 6 attempts.  Bri had no points.  Sniezek had 6 assists and 4 turnovers and 3 points.  She provided pace and offensive spark.

Smith had a very solid day with 19 points on 7/13 shots, along with 7 rebounds, 2 assists and a block.

McCall had 10 points and 6 rebounds.  Johnson 6 points and 4 rebounds. 

Samuelson was the focus of the KSU defense and still managed 6 points on 2/3 three point shooting, both coming as run-stoppers.

Fingall got 11 minutes and was 1/5 with 2 silly fouls.  Coffee got a basket, and Romano and Carrington got a little time.

Conclusion:

A confidence-building win the team can be proud of, heading in to the rematch with Texas on Friday.  We will need Britt to be hot again on Friday, given that she had a breakout game against Texas earlier this year.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:08:45 am by 81alum »

Offline mbdude

• Frosh
  • Go Stanford!
Re: WBB: Stanford @ Kansas State Monday
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 08:17:50 pm »
big team - 9 players 6' or over

Offline TheFarm07

• Dolly
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 09:03:11 pm »
It sounds like Kansas State will present a much different matchup than New Mexico State did. Seems like a more classic inside-outside threat than the speedy guard-oriented attack of the Aggies.

I think the team is more oriented to match up with the Wildcats than NM State (or least used to it with what we faced in the Pac-12: Plum/Osahor, Canada/Billings, Ionescu/Hebard)

Winning the rebounding game is critical and also with such tall players, the paint might not be as potent as a scoring area, so we better get going on our jumpshot conversions.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:05:06 pm by TheFarm07 »

Offline TheFarm07

• Dolly
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 09:48:23 pm »
Gametime is 3:30 PM - PST on Monday afternoon.

Offline MT

• Dolly
  • My wisest posts are the ones I decide not to post.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 12:59:31 am »
From the Drake-Kansas State game coverage:  K-State coach on the matchup with Drake:  Both teams like to score, but they want to go 100 miles per hour while we(K St) want to go about 70 miles per hour.

_NumHtYr_Name_GP_GS_Min/G_FG%_3PT%_FT%_Rb/G_Ast/G_Stl_Blk_Pt/G
24  5'7"SrWesemann, Kindred  33  33  33.7   .382  .350  .860  2.5  2.9  63  14.0
22  6'5"SrLewis, Breanna  33  33  28.9   .561  .000  .527  8.4  0.5  34  58  14.0
21  5'7"JrMiddlebrook, Karyla  32  30  26.5   .373  .280  .719  3.3  3.3  35  9.3
50  6'1"JrMartin, Shaelyn  33  26  23.6   .340  .306  .671  4.8  3.1  40  12  4.8
01  6'3"JrPage, Kaylee  33  21.7   .380  .374  .741  2.9  0.9  26  15  6.4
13  6'4"FrWillock, Eternati  30  19.7   .419  .000  .608  5.2  1.4  19  20  6.8
10  6'0"SoGoth, Kayla  32  18.3   .444  .281  .692  2.2  1.5  29  5.8
11  6'3"FrWilliams, Peyton  33  22  16.2   .455  .000  .636  3.5  0.8  11  3.6
Total..........  33      .421  .335  .681  37.6  14.8  8.3  4.3  68.1
Opponents......  33      .383  .315  .707  35.4  15.2  8.1  3.6  62.2
_
Stanford.......  34      .447  .353  .691  41.4  15.0  7.4  5.7  72.1
Opponents......  34      .344  .319  .692  33.7  9.9  6.5  2.9  55.7
(For team numbers, I changed Stl & Blk to Stl/G & Blk/G.)

Fairly equal scoring by guards and bigs, primarily one of each.  The guard hits 35% of 3ptrs (note a 6'3" player who hits 37%).
Stanford's statistics are better in almost every category.

The big girl (#22) seemed to prefer being fronted & having the ball lobbed into her.  She's only a 53%  FT shooter & doesn't get many FTA.   Her talent seems to be her height; she didn't seem quick or aggressive or able to step out for a shot. Erica & Alanna have about the same number of blocks as she does.

Defense was mostly zone against the faster, smaller, more active Drake.   Often Drake paid for going in deep by getting blocked, but they also managed some Brittany-esque shots.

They showed the K-state coach's white board from before the game:
Defense:
1) Transition D
2) 31 D off tip
     trap 22
3) Active bumps
4) Make Plays
5) ___ Plays

Offense:
1) Transition Push
2) Bingo into X game
3) Ball movement
4) Quick Don't Hurry
5) Track Glass (3)

Offline OutsiderFan

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 05:38:40 am »
Y'all have probably already discussed this, but what kind of BS is it that the lower seeded team gets to host a game on their home court against the higher seeded team? Doesn't show too well on women's hoops, IMO.

Offline 2006alum

• LSJUMB member
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 05:48:14 am »
Y'all have probably already discussed this, but what kind of BS is it that the lower seeded team gets to host a game on their home court against the higher seeded team? Doesn't show too well on women's hoops, IMO.

It's because Maples is being used for the Pac-12 women's gymnastics championships this weekend. Not sure why we agreed to host the first weekend of March madness, but if there's anyone to blame, it's Muir, not the committee. Sigh.

Online BobK

• Daily editor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 08:18:36 am »
Actually the League rotates all Pac 12 Championships and it was our turn.   Lots of sports going on and to say to the women Gymnastics team you don't count would be wrong.    Has nothing to do with Muir. 
I say this as a season ticket holder who would have been at Stanford yesterday and again tomorrow.   I'm sad but certainly don't blame any one. 
We knew this two years ago and tried to find a facility close by and of course they are being used. 

Except the ןɐɔ MBB folded away LOL

Offline OutsiderFan

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 09:06:40 am »
Hmmm, interesting.  You would think they could have arranged something with I don't know, ןɐɔ, SJSU, SCU, USF, or St. Mary's to get their game in the Bay Area and not have to play at the home floor of a lower seeded team.

paloalto

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 10:22:51 am »
Will the game be televised on ESPN?  I'll have to tape it because I will be at work.  Stanford will have to play better than they did against New Mexico State.  I thought McCall's shooting was a disaster most of the New Mexico game.  McCall is putting in the effort on both ends of the court but offensively the results are not what they were last year.   

Offline TheFarm07

• Dolly
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 10:42:16 am »
Will the game be televised on ESPN?  I'll have to tape it because I will be at work.  Stanford will have to play better than they did against New Mexico State.  I thought McCall's shooting was a disaster most of the New Mexico game.  McCall is putting in the effort on both ends of the court but offensively the results are not what they were last year.

The games will be on ESPN2, but the Stanford-Kansas State game is on at the same time as 3 other games including the UConn/Syracuse game, so it depends on your geographic region. So, unless you live in California or Kansas/western Missouri, it will be rotating coverage.

Online BobK

• Daily editor
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2017, 10:44:31 am »
Outsider dont you think other schools have plans ? 
ןɐɔ thought basketball
SJS league gymnastics
Santa Clara NorCal HS basketball champs
St Mary's too small
USF no clue

Kind of an insulting post 

Offline OutsiderFan

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2017, 10:49:27 am »
Outsider dont you think other schools have plans ? 
ןɐɔ thought basketball
SJS league gymnastics
Santa Clara NorCal HS basketball champs
St Mary's too small
USF no clue

Kind of an insulting post

How is it insulting?  Is it that far outside the realm of possibility for these schools to have some sort of agreement in place should this scenario come up?  I'm sure ןɐɔ would want to play at Stanford vs. in Manhattan, KS if they were in the Stanford situation.  It seems to me these schools could have contingency agreements in the event of this scenario.

Offline 76lsjumb

• Tree
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2017, 11:15:58 am »
Bottom line:  If we aren't able to beat Kansas State, even at their place, it doesn't really matter.  The next game likely would have been a disaster anyway.

Offline TheFarm07

• Dolly
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 11:33:10 am »
We should beat Kansas State whether its at Maples or on the road. If we want to get back to the Final Four, we should handle KSU as the bigger challenges loom ahead (Texas, N.D.).

Yes, it would have been nice to play in the friendly confines of Maples and let McCall, Samuelson and Roberson have two more home games before they leave, but it is what it is. Great teams win no matter where they are.