The CardBoard

Author Topic: WBB: Stanford 76 Notre D ame 75 On McPhee's 27  (Read 4295 times)

Offline 81alum

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
WBB: Stanford 76 Notre D ame 75 On McPhee's 27
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:13:36 pm »
Preview:
We play for a chance to get back to the final four against a Votre Dame team that demolished Ohio State even without their star Brianna Turner.  I am sure that Tara will be looking at the Purdue game plan, which took Votre Dame to overtime the game before.

http://thecardboard.org/board/index.php?topic=14789.msg159249#msg159249

Overview:
An absolutely terrific effort keyed by McPhee's 27 points, our 46% three point shooting, and Marta's 8 assists to 0 turnovers.  With all of that going for us we still needed a basket and a couple of last second stops to edge Votre Dame with a 1 point victory.

Flow of the Game:
Our offense clicked in the first quarter, with Karlie draining three treys, Britt a couple, and Erica and Kaylee also getting some midrange shots to go.  Votre Dame played zone--not a typical defense for them--perhaps in an effort to switch up on us with the absence of Brianna Turner.  Our sizzling three point shooting and Votre Dame's slowness to cover Karlie in the corner made their zone look rather dubious.  However, Votre Dame had balanced scoring all around and kept right up with us.  The quarter ended Stanford 24 Votre Dame 22.

The second quarter started with a Roberson trey, but after Karlie picked up a second foul and had to leave, our offense froze.  Ten missed shots on our part and an 18 point run on Votre Dame's part left us down 13, and the game looked as if it had decisively turned.  Ogunbowale had 21 points in the first half, Britt cooled off, Karlie was sitting, and we limped to a 7 point quarter.  Making things worse, Ogunbowale threw in a trey at the end of the half to give them a 45-31 halftime lead.

The third quarter started badly as we gave up a basket for a 16 point deficit, but then Britt started to get hot, hitting first one, then two treys.  Smith was left unguarded at the perimeter and drained a trey, then Britt dished to her while driving for a layup.  An Erica layup and a swooshing Karlie trey followed by a brilliant Marta lob to Britt for a layup left us down only 57-55 at the end of the third.

We opened the 4th with a stop and a McPhee trey to take the lead--a remarkable turnaround from our 16 point deficit just the quarter before.  We exchanged baskets and the lead, and then Erin Boley and Karlie exchanged treys to leave us tied at 64 with six minutes to play.  Then an Alanna steal led to Britt firing an assist back to Smith who converted under the basket and we were up two with 5:34.   Ogunbowale tied it up again with two free throws, McPhee hit two free throws and we were back in front.  ND hit a trey to edge ahead by 1.  I thought the game could have turned against us when Smith received a bad offensive foul and we gave the ball back to ND with them up by a point and only 3:30 left.  But we got a stop and then Sniezek took it to the rim, got fouled, and made both shots to give the lead back to us with 3 minutes.

The lead just went back and forth--18 lead changes in the game.  Mabrey hit a layup for a Votre Dame 1 point lead, and again we followed that up with a turnover--the game could have slipped away.  But our defense secured a shot clock violation and thus the ball back with 2 minutes.  McPhee made a gorgeous shot off glass from the middle of the right lane line--a distinctive look to that shot that she executed several times in this game.  Stanford up 1.  But then a foul and two free throws the other way--ND up 1.  Smith received a pass at the arc and then dribbled up the left lane line for a left handed layup for the lead back.  Then Lindsy Allen laid it in for a ND lead, 75-74.  The see-saw was popping up and down wildly. 

Then, on the decisive play of the game, Sniezek lobbed it to Smith who finished under the basket for a 76-75 lead.  Votre Dame had two more chances but Smith blocked the first and McCall emphatically blocked the last (from behind) to seal the win. 

Performances:
As teams, the stats were relatively even, with a couple of major differences--we had 22 assists to their 11.  We were simply passing much better.  We had 7 blocks to their 1 including the critical block to win the game.  We did reasonably will with only 11 turnovers, but ND had only 4--so the 7 turnover difference helped keep the game close for ND.

Britt was 10/17 and 5/9 from three point range to go with 5 rebounds, 4 assists, and a couple of blocks.  One of the several best performances of her career.  Also give her credit for turning around the defense on Ogunbowale in the second half.  Ogunbowale went from 21 points in the first half to 4 in the second.

Karlie had 15 points on the strength of 5/8 three point shooting, and she also had 4 assists.  She attracted so much attention that others like Smith were left open.

Alanna was 7/10 for fifteen, with 7 rebounds and 2 blocks.

Marta had a quite an amazing assists day--8 assists to 0 turnovers.  She still needs offense, as the commentators pointed out, going 0/4.  Not only are jump shots not going, it has been a while since her layups have been going in.  She needs something to work.

Erica had 9 points and 11 rounds--her shooting was a little off but those rebounds were crucial.  And those two blocks--the last of which preserved the game for us.

Bri scored 7 points and provided 16 minutes of energized defense, and gave us 3 assists to 0 turnovers.

Conclusion:
I am so proud of this team, and am amazed about how far this team has come and how much they have learned.  I think the strength of the team is that it is getting harder and harder to scout.  Any given night it could be one or two different players exploding on offense.  Now on to a final four--the first one for all but the seniors, and a welcome return for Bri, Erica, and Karlie.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:52:52 pm by 81alum »

Offline TheFarm07

• Dolly
  • Go Stanford!
Re: WBB: Stanford vs. Votre Dame Sunday 9am Pacific
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 10:27:05 pm »
I know they still have skilled players in the post even without Turner, but you can't replace her height, experience and prowess on the inside just like that. So there might be something that Tara will look to exploit with Erica, Kaylee, Brit and Alanna on the inside.

On the flip side, having so many scoring options from Lindsay Allen to Boley to Ogunbowale to Young coming off the bench and being quick and fast will be so hard for Tara to scheme against. Who do you leave open? Besides Bri, who's fast enough to keep up with them?

Also, if we took a lesson from the N.M. State game, when we tried going small, it didn't work. Their small lineup was better than ours. It was our big lineup that won us that game.

N.D. is a whole different level than N.M. State, so the same lessons might not apply and they still have skilled bigs, even without Turner. But I think to keep up with N.D.'s scoring, we will need to exploit the paint and possible mismatches inside.

It might help us that we played Purdue back in November, which could give Tara a better sense of their skill level and ability when watching what they did in the game tape against N.D.

Offline MT

• Dolly
  • My wisest posts are the ones I decide not to post.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 11:13:29 pm »
ND lost to NC State (top 6 players by playing time (17+min) are 6'2" or less; team 42% FG%, 33% 3FG%,  A/TO < 1.1) and Tennessee (if one of our 6'3" girls grew 3", then about the same size) and UConn.

NC State (hosting) had a 6 point lead at the half and got two 3-ptrs to start the 2nd half.  The lead got up to 19 late in the 3rd quarter.  ND nibbled away, and fouled a lot, but excellent foul shooting helped NC State win by 8.

At Tennessee, ND was 5 of 8 on 3ptrs and 48% FT%.  Tennessee did a good job of shooting (45%) but won the offensive rebounds (14 vs 9).   Tennessee lead by 9 in the first quarter.  Then ND lead by 15 in the second quarter.  Tennessee didn't lead again until under 1:30 to go.  Tennessee had one foul in the main part of the 4th, so they were able to drain the clock at the very end of the game.

Offline JJJ

• Tree
  • All Right Now!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 04:57:45 pm »
From Stanford Women's Basketball facebook feed:

Starting 5 + Tara met the media for the Cardinal's Elite Eight press conference on Saturday.

#GoStanford

http://www.facebook.com/StanfordWBB/videos/10155239742299885/

Offline will

• Pro Fro
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 08:22:02 pm »
You can see why they lost to NC state, ND is not quick but we do have to cover the 3 pt line, our bigs have a hard time showing hard enough to get out on the 3, it took us until the 3rd attempt to take down OSU due to that reason but that was just covering Weise not 4 who can shoot the 3. We do have a couple of bigger guards which will help and Bri and Mart will have to stop Allens penetration but this will be a problem for the bigs defensively.

Offline leftcoast

• Daily editor
  • Luft der Freiheit
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 10:47:37 am »
Stanford tied at 66 after being down by 14 at the half.  McPhee looking good in the second half with 25 points total.  Defense much improved after the break. Who's watching?

Bad foul just called on Smith for a legitimate, textbook screen.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:03:13 am by leftcoast »
In 1938 Neville Chamberlain declared "Peace in our time", Superman first appeared in Action Comics, Seabiscuit beat War Admiral ....... and C.a.l last won the Rose Bowl.

Offline RodentMaven

• Pro Fro
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 10:51:56 am »
I am, what an exciting game. McPhee is having a heck of a game (27 points so far).

Offline leftcoast

• Daily editor
  • Luft der Freiheit
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 10:58:21 am »
Smith has come into her own in the late season.  Great scoring in traffic twice in the last two minutes. 

Game situation: 2 seconds left in the game, Stanford up by one, Votre Dame ball!
In 1938 Neville Chamberlain declared "Peace in our time", Superman first appeared in Action Comics, Seabiscuit beat War Admiral ....... and C.a.l last won the Rose Bowl.

Offline eric

• Tree
  • semi-retired Ultimate player
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 11:00:03 am »
Final Four!!!!
Eric

"what I thought was a funny movie quote removed so as not to offend anyone"

Offline MT

• Dolly
  • My wisest posts are the ones I decide not to post.
Final Four!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 11:00:47 am »
One great team had to go home.  Thankfully, it was the other team!

Great game, ladies!

Offline DC 86

• LSJUMB member
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 11:01:37 am »
Incredible game, five lead changes in the last 1:44 of the game.

ND with an 18-0 run in the first half and a 14 point lead at halftime, but Stanford responded like champions.

Alanna Smith off the bench with the last two baskets for Stanford for the win.

Offline leftcoast

• Daily editor
  • Luft der Freiheit
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 11:01:52 am »
McCall with the block underneath with time expiring.  Real band playing All Right Now.

Final Four Bound!

Offline IM in OC

• Pro Fro
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 11:03:11 am »
As I said yesterday this year Stanford has the grittiest team I can remember.
WOW!!!

Offline needle

• Tree
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 11:10:35 am »
So happy for the team. You could see Tara really wanted this one. A great run and on to Dallas!

Offline TheFarm07

• Dolly
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 11:11:49 am »
I couldn't watch the game until the very end. I saw that we were down by 14 at half, but then only down by 2 after three quarters. I got back to see the final 25ish seconds where Alanna scored and we made the game-saving block to win!

When I saw we were down by double digits, I was disappointed but not surprised, especially seeing Ogunbowale putting up big numbers and figured we had a good run, but couldn't keep up with N.D.'s offense. I was hopeful that we still had a half and could start chipping away at their lead. I was hoping we could narrow their advantage down to single digits by the end of the quarter.

I was ecstatic to see it was just a two point game entering the fourth and as I was following the fourth, saw that we battled. I got to a TV just as we were down 1 with less than a minute and Alanna was able to score in the paint to give us the advantage.

Then, those last couple minutes with the multiple timeouts and watching the last possession was so nervewrecking!! Especially with just 2.3 seconds left, I was imagining the worst, a tip-in buzzer beating winner for N.D. Luckily, they didn't have Turner and we were able to use our height advantage to block their final shot.

The halftime adjustment on Ogunbowale was amazing. After she was 8/10 for 20+ points in the first half, she was 1/6 in the second and only scored 4 or 5 more points.

So proud of this team!! Go Cardinal!!!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:13:31 am by TheFarm07 »