The CardBoard

Author Topic: WBB: South Carolina 62 Stanford 53  (Read 5661 times)

Offline eric

• Tree
  • semi-retired Ultimate player
Re: WBB: Stanford 29 vs. South Carolina 20 at half
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2017, 06:19:17 pm »
down 3 with 2 min left
Eric

"what I thought was a funny movie quote removed so as not to offend anyone"

Offline TheFarm07

• Tree
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2017, 06:21:56 pm »
Our offense just seemed really stagnant and slow throughout the game. The crisp decision-making was not there.

It sucks that in our last 5 Final Four games, we've held a first time lead in all of them (tonight, '14 vs. UConn, '12 vs. Baylor, '11 vs. Texas A&M--10-pt lead with 5 to go and '10 vs. UConn) and we could not close the deal on any of them. I know it's ironic to say with all the comebacks we've had this year, but in these big games, our offense and defense could not maintain it for 40 minutes.

In those five games, we were +15 in pt differential in the first half, but an alarming -56 in the second half
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 06:34:48 pm by TheFarm07 »

Offline TheFarm07

• Tree
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2017, 06:28:26 pm »
What could have been if Karlie didn't get injured?

This team showed so much heart during this run. It will be sad to see the seniors go. I hope our returning players will work to expand and improve their games over the summer and have an even better 2017-18 season.

Offline 81alum

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
Re: WBB: South Carolina 62 Stanford 53
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 06:29:21 pm »
Good bye, Karlie, Erica, and Bri.  The three of you have given us fans so many exciting moments and happy memories.  At the start of this season we never would have predicted that we would get back to the final four this year, and the three of you willed us there, with your grit and your sisterhood-of-all-teammates.  We shall miss you.  Good luck on your next life projects!

Offline leftcoast

• Daily editor
  • Luft der Freiheit
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 06:30:05 pm »
Final 53-62 Gamecocks.

Stanford couldn't keep up when South Carolina pushed the pace in the second half.  Also, shots that fell for our team in the second quarter fell mostly short in the third and fourth.  It's difficult to shoot your way out of a slump with your best shooter on the bench nursing a bum ankle.
In 1938 Neville Chamberlain declared "Peace in our time", Superman first appeared in Action Comics, Seabiscuit beat War Admiral ....... and C.a.l last won the Rose Bowl.

Offline Phogge

• Dolly
  • Go Stanford! Go Gators!
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2017, 06:30:45 pm »
Good run without a truly great player this year. Way too many turnovers. Don't watch a lot of women's basketball but it seems like they can build around Smith next year. She has inside and outside skills. Also don't know about who is coming in but they need more athleticism in the backcourt. Was disappointed in McCall who basically had no effect on offense. Nothing to be sad about. Hope Geno gets food poisoning and the team falls apart. Go Cocks!

Offline mbdude

• Stanford man or woman
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2017, 06:32:33 pm »
With Karlie out I thought we might move Alanna out to 3 pt line at start of 4th quarter - at least give us a viable threat

Offline TheFarm07

• Tree
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2017, 06:37:12 pm »
Beyond Karlie's obvious contributions as a shooter, it seemed like our offense was overly cautious and unsure. When we made the comeback against N.D., we were confident and shooting and driving without hesitation.

But tonight, the problem that plagued us throughout the season, even in our wins, came back as that confidence and self-assuredness seemed to evaporate so easily. We were reluctant to shoot, we were reluctant to drive.

Offline UltimateCard

• Frosh
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2017, 06:52:24 pm »
Beyond Karlie's obvious contributions as a shooter, it seemed like our offense was overly cautious and unsure. When we made the comeback against N.D., we were confident and shooting and driving without hesitation.

But tonight, the problem that plagued us throughout the season, even in our wins, came back as that confidence and self-assuredness seemed to evaporate so easily. We were reluctant to shoot, we were reluctant to drive.

With Karlie's injury, you not only miss her shooting but also her basketball smarts - that had to hurt in such a big game. The Gamecock defenders were able to clamp down on Erica and Britt - only Alanna seemed to get anything going in the second half. Too bad we weren't able to compete at full strength for last 24 minutes. Still, it's been a great season. Grit and playing for one another got the seniors back to another Final Four. Proud of what the team accomplished this year.

Offline JeffInCorvallis

• Dolly
  • 2013 & 2016 Rose Bowl Champions
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2017, 07:02:38 pm »
Great game and great season all around, coming on strong in the Pac-12 tournament and fighting through the travel and extended trip away from campus in the NCAA tournament. I would not have predicted a Final Four appearance for this team at the beginning of the season.

It's too bad that Karlie got hurt. I was really wanting to see a matchup with Katie Lou in the finals. I'm not a hall of fame coach, but it seemed to me like Tara left Karlie in the game too long. She was obviously uncomfortable and didn't have much of an impact on the game. She was too slow on defense and I'm not sure she attempted a shot until the waning moments of the 4th quarter. On the other hand she's a smart basketball player and you gotta go with the seniors that got you here even if they are not 100%. South Carolina was able to pack in the defense and dare us to shoot from long range. We hit some shots but not enough to close the gap.

Offline chimera

• LSJUMB member
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2017, 07:07:39 pm »
Ah well, better rebounding would have helped.  We did not box out well enough.  Losing Karlie allowed them to zone us too easily.  Would we have won if she had not gotten hurt?  Maybe.  Winnable game.  Players seemed to be pressing in the second half.  That foul on Alanna toward the end when we had gotten close, like down 3, had me going nuts.  I thought it was on Wilson.  Alanna had position, was facing the basket, went up for the rebound, and Wilson grabbed it from behind.  Either no foul or a foul on Wilson.  Did I see that wrong?  I don't know that I've seen a foul called like that if I saw it right.  That call might have really changed the game.  Rebounding is ultimately what killed us, that and cold shooting.  I also thought the refs blew the call when Bird drove late and Wilson slid over and got her with the body.  Ball got lost OOB and no call.  the sad thing is I don't think we played close to our best, not nearly as well as we could have.  Some of that was good D by SC, but more of it was us.  How many walking TOs did we have?  Four or five?  Well, it was a great year overall despite the sad end.  Congrats to the team and good luck to the seniors.  It has been a pleasure to cheer for this team.

Offline triangle2

• Frosh
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 07:12:19 pm »
I think when I can stomach going back through the second half, what I'll see is that the offensive execution broke down. This team thrived this year on out-executing its opponents and just couldn't do it without a healthy Karlie running her usual cuts around screens  that helped the ball move.

Watching how much more difficult it was for the offense to run with Karlie on the bench was a poignant reminder of what the team is losing for next year. Teams are going to play us very differently without Karlie on the court.

This for me this was one of the most satisfying seasons in recent memory - it is always a pleasure to watch an underdog overachieve. They got so far with a team that lacked a superstar yet achieved so much by playing..."together" and for each other.

You could see after the Votre Dame game how proud Tara was of this team and of her seniors. It was a great run.

Offline RuralFan

• Pro Fro
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2017, 07:29:30 pm »
It is so hard to remember what an outstanding season it has been when we played so poorly in the second half.  When Karlie couldn't go and we couldn't rebound, I was hoping we would try Bird, Alanna, and Kaylee in the front with Brit, Bri or Marta as the guards. Maybe they have never practiced together.

Each of our three seniors provided something unique and will be remembered for some special wins.  Right now, I have no idea how we will field a team next year, but I suppose we will.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 07:31:26 pm by RuralFan »

Offline cardcrimson

• Dolly
  • Go Stanford!
Fouls?
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2017, 07:31:23 pm »
Didn't see any of the game. Listened to the first half on XM, nothing on the second half. The color commentated said several times that she couldn't believe there wasn't a foul called on SC. Then I saw the box score, Stanford only shot 5 from the line, while SC shot over 20. Any comments as to why?

Offline TheFarm07

• Tree
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2017, 07:43:57 pm »
It is so hard to remember what an outstanding season it has been when we played so poorly in the second half.  When Karlie couldn't go and we couldn't rebound, I was hoping we would try Bird, Alanna, and Kaylee in the front with Brit, Bri or Marta as the guards. Maybe they have never practiced together.

Each of our three seniors provided something unique and will be remembered for some special wins.  Right now, I have no idea how we will field a team next year, but I suppose we will.

Right now, it looks like we have Marta, Brit, Alanna and Kaylee as probable starters, so it leaves one open starting role.

We could go for a bigger lineup by sliding Brit into the 2 and having Fingall join the frontcourt of Smith and Kaylee.

We could go for smaller and more athletic with Carrington at the 2. I was heartened to see her make a couple of big contributions at the end of the game. She only had limited minutes this season playing behind Karlie and Brit and the 2-point guard offense, but I think with her hustle, athleticism and aggression and a summer's worth of improvement, she can make a contribution right away next season.

We need Marta to have the confidence and willingness to hit jumpers, she doesn't have to take 15 shots a game, but she has to make opposing teams pay for sagging off of her.

Kaylee has shown limited flashes of scoring inside, but she needs to contribute more offensively and work on her post moves. She's great at rebounding and defense, but her limited time even after recovering from injury was due to the emergence of Smith's scoring. Tara needed the points and Kaylee couldn't contribute very much.

With Bri's graduation, I think we might see heavy usage of Kiana Williams, despite being a freshman. Sniezek logged in significant time as a freshman at point and if Anna Wilson is not fully recovered from her injury, then Kiana might be called to relieve Marta during games.