The CardBoard

Author Topic: MGolf - podcast with Conrad Ray  (Read 464 times)

Offline Mick

• Daily editor
  • Have been kissed on Kennedy Mall...
    • Client Science
Re: MGolf - podcast with Conrad Ray
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 01:51:46 am »

My granddad (Stanford '42) used to belong to San Jose CC and Monterey Peninsula CC.  I asked him if he ever wanted to brave the five year wait for a Stanford membership and he replied that Stanford was just a golf course and didn't have the typical amenities associated with your better private courses.

Interesting, and thanks for your reply  :)
So a Stanford alum such as your grandfather did not get automatic membership to Stanford Golf Club (as long as he was willing to pay the Club's initiation fee and, or dues) ?
Most 18 hole private golf clubs try to maintain a membership roster of about 350 members. This number seems to provide the revenue a club needs to maintain its golf course and clubhouse facilities, but not so many members that access to play the course becomes too restricted.
I guess that Stanford Golf Club, owned by the University, is different from a typical private club. For example, students , faculty, and alumni, while not being a dues paying member,  do have some access to play the course ?

I think my Granddad was quite the social animal, and very much enjoyed the social ramble at the clubs...not so much of that at Stanford Golf Course.  One of his good friends was Charles Seaver; they were in the same business.  He didn't actually start golfing until he was 45, then built one house at SJCC (the dogleg of 16) and another house in between the Ocean and Lake courses at MPCC.

I guess your grandfather had quite a fulfilling life. Reading the name Charlie Seaver got me thinking of another Stanford golfer. John Brodie !
Brodie was a great QB for Stanford but he was excused from Spring football practice because he played for the Stanford golf team. I think at one time he considered pro golf as seriously as he did playing NFL football.
During his years with the 49ers, and following his retirement from pro football, Brodie was a regular at Sharon Heights GC. In the mid to late 70's he would
take on bets against him being able to break 85 playing two balls,  meaning he had to play the worst laying ball for his second shot. This is a masochistic way to try and shoot a golf score but Brodie enjoyed doing it.  The Sharon Heights (and other nearby club ) members would place bets, then  follow Brodie around the course with $10,000 or more at stake.
The 80's brought forth the nascent senior pro golf tour, where Brodie competed and may have won and event or two.
I am not old enough to have seen Brodie play QB for Stanford, but I understand he was sensational and ended up a high draft choice of the 49ers, for whom he had a long , outstanding NFL career.

Brodie had a dozen top ten finishes on the Senior Tour, and in fact won the 1991 Security Pacific Senior Classic, shooting 66-66-68 at Valencia Country Club. 
Audaces fortuna iuvat

Offline Hulk01

• Tree
  • Moves like Jagger
    • Beckwith Partners
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 05:28:10 am »
We have a scratch golfer on the football team.  But I've forgotten who it is.

Offline Scooter_Stepford

• Stanford man or woman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 07:37:27 am »
We have a scratch golfer on the football team.  But I've forgotten who it is.

Costello is a very good golfer.

Offline Hulk01

• Tree
  • Moves like Jagger
    • Beckwith Partners
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 08:00:34 am »
Okay, a favorite--now that time has allowed me to heal--Stanford golf story.

Tennish years ago, Conrad set my wife and I up with a tee time at Stanford Golf Course.  Because we were only a two-some, the "starter" set us up with a sol0- a member we learned.

He took quite a while at address before he finally hit his tee shot.  We moved to our drives.  He took quite a while again.  By the third hole, I realized i was witnessing something rare and perhaps record-setting.  So around the seventh hole, I silently counted to myself the seconds from the time he addressed the ball to the time he finally struck it.

59 seconds. And maybe 60 the next time.  And the times after and after and after,

Perhaps one of you is aware of the guy?  I assume he must be famous/notorious at SGC.  A nice fellow, to be sure, but an ordeal to play with.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:20:58 pm by Hulk01 »

Offline Mick

• Daily editor
  • Have been kissed on Kennedy Mall...
    • Client Science
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 09:57:52 am »
Okay, a favorite--now that time has allowed me to heal--Stanford golf story.

Tennish years ago, Conrad set my wife and I up with a tee time at Stanford Golf Course.  Being only a two-some, the "starter" set us up with a solo, a member we learned.

He took quite a while at address before he finally hit his tee shot.  We moved to our drives.  He took quite a while again.  By the third hole, I realized i was witnessing something rare and perhaps record-setting.  So around the seventh hole, I silently counted to myself the seconds from the time he addressed the ball to the time he finally struck it.

59 seconds. And maybe 60 the next time.  And the times after and after and after,

Perhaps one of you is aware of the guy?  I assume he must be famous/notorious at SGC.  A nice fellow, to be sure, but an ordeal to play with.

How many times did you let a foursome play through?
Audaces fortuna iuvat

Offline Hulk01

• Tree
  • Moves like Jagger
    • Beckwith Partners
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 12:15:37 pm »
Perhaps there was no one behind us.  I don't recall letting anyone through.  It was a quiet day at the course.

As I recall, our round took over five hours.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:22:10 pm by Hulk01 »

Offline Scooter_Stepford

• Stanford man or woman
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2017, 01:13:16 pm »
Perhaps there was no one behind us.  I don't recall letting anyone through.  It was a quiet day at the course.

As I recall, our round took over four-and-a-half hours.

That's SOP at SGC.

Offline SF_Cardinal_Fan

• Stanford man or woman
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2017, 01:24:38 pm »

As I recall, our round took over four-and-a-half hours.

You are polite , well mannered.
By the 2nd tee box I would have ditched that guy and played on ahead (which probably would not be the first time somebody did that to him).

Now I will share a golf story :)
Guy is on the ladies tee box and the pro shop loudspeaker announces " Sir, you are not permitted to play from the ladies tees, please step back to the men's"
The guy looks over, shakes his head, and takes another practice swing.
Pro shop announces again, over the loudspeaker for everyone to hear, an emphatic demand that  "Do not play from the ladies tee box, you must step back to the men's tees !"
Guy looks over to the pro shop and shouts" will you shut up, I am trying to play my second shot here".

Offline Hulk01

• Tree
  • Moves like Jagger
    • Beckwith Partners
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 02:48:28 pm »
Well, SF Cardinal, I wish we had gone one alone.  Because halfway down 17, it started raining, and quickly grew so much harder my wife--an ardent golfer--headed back to the clubhouse.  And I spend the rest of the time realizing that if we'd ditched him, we'd've missed the rain.

One minute per shot.  (Only on his full shots as I recall, and thank God.)  A full minute.

Offline SF_Cardinal_Fan

• Stanford man or woman
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2017, 03:33:05 pm »
Well, SF Cardinal, I wish we had gone one alone.  Because halfway down 17, it started raining, and quickly grew so much harder my wife--an ardent golfer--headed back to the clubhouse.  And I spend the rest of the time realizing that if we'd ditched him, we'd've missed the rain.

One minute per shot.  (Only on his full shots as I recall, and thank God.)  A full minute.

During the agonizing "one minute per shot" routine was he waggling the club, tapping his feet, using some other rhythm-finding-process, or was he just over the ball frozen like a statue ?
Most slow players take their time arriving at their ball, selecting a club, reading greens, moving themselves from one shot to the next, talking too much etc...
But those slow play habits , while discourteous to playing partners, actually may help some people, including some Tour players, achieve lower scores.
I think the reason that addressing the ball for too long is so rare is that because that habit is so extremely counter productive to good shot making. I am assuming the guy you played with did not strike the ball well and, or, produce good scores.

Offline Hulk01

• Tree
  • Moves like Jagger
    • Beckwith Partners
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 03:52:34 pm »
He wasn't awful.  I'd say mid-90's, average or better for his age.

I found myself trying to imagine what he was thinking.  I don't recall a lot of waggles  Instead, he seemed pretty frozen.  He just stood there, moving very little, that entire time.

Never seen anything like it.  Sergio Garcia at his worst: 25 seconds maybe? 

Offline SF_Cardinal_Fan

• Stanford man or woman
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 06:41:18 pm »
He wasn't awful.  I'd say mid-90's, average or better for his age.

I found myself trying to imagine what he was thinking.  I don't recall a lot of waggles  Instead, he seemed pretty frozen.  He just stood there, moving very little, that entire time.

Never seen anything like it.  Sergio Garcia at his worst: 25 seconds maybe?

I guess at his worst Sergio was addressing the ball, and waggling, for 10 seconds.
The elegant and functional twice waggle of  the great Sam Snead took no more than 3 seconds. Most Tour pros address the ball for no more than 2 to 3 seconds.
Too much time at address absolutely is counter productive towards making good effective swings.
For the guy you were paired with to address the ball for 60 seconds makes me wonder about his intentions. Maybe his preference was to play solo and he may have performed his routine in the hopes that you (or any other playing partner) would soon abandon him ?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:34:52 pm by SF_Cardinal_Fan »