The CardBoard

Author Topic: Class of 2014  (Read 153035 times)

Offline StannyBoy

• Dolly
  • Go Stanford!
Re: Class of 2014
« Reply #540 on: September 13, 2013, 09:03:21 pm »
Lealao's dad claims he's 6 foot 6 and 304 lbs. Pretty astonishing if true considering how athletic he is. I highly recommend watching his video going up against o-line guys from the Stanford camp in June. Should be on youtube.

Offline AthleticsDynasty

• LSJUMB member
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #541 on: September 14, 2013, 01:31:15 am »
I need to focus more on threads like this. I was out of the loop on our recruiting last year. I don't know much about our true frosh class this season and it sucks.

If anyone feels like posting a small recap of our recruiting for this season and highlight the most highly touted, I'd be happy!

Nifae Lealao is a cool name. Don't know how to pronounce it. I like that he's athletic and 6'5.

-Ryan Burns QB from Virginia, who was offered over Max Browne(#1 rated QB by the "services").  Burns 6'5 225lbs and ripped to shreds, he could be one of the most physically imposing players on the team from day 1. He ran a run heavy single wing offense in HS. Burns has unlimited potential.

-Mike Tyler OLB out of Ohio should be an excellent pass rusher, Lanky very good speed

-Peter Kalambayi OLB out of North Carolina. Explosive pass rusher with a college ready physique. High upside.

-Kevin Palma ILB from a small school in the San Joaquin Valley. Already 240+ so he could grow out of the position. He is extremely athletic he spent most of his HS career on offense playing WR.

-Sean Barton ILB from Utah will go his mission and be back in 2015. Noted for his speed. Awesome HS RB too, he's is a super athlete.

-Austin Hooper TE from the famed De La Salle HS. Excellent blocking TE, who needs more experience in the passing game

-Eric Cotton TE out of Idaho, explosive receiving TE with polished route running and reliable hands along the lines of Coby Fleener.

-Greg Taboda TE out of Georgia, the biggest of the 3 TEs in the class., Toboda seems to be the jack of all trades not as talented a blocker as Hooper or as talented a pass receiver as Cotton but good at both. Purely speculation but he seems like a guy who might move to DE at some point

-David Bright OT/OG from Mater Dei HS, noted for his super nasty streak. You can watch his highlights and see he borders on the line of being a dirty with quite a few hits.

-Thomas Oser C from Harvard-Westlake same school as Jonathan Martin. A true center prospect who actually played center in HS

-Francis Owusu Chris' little brother from Oaks Christian, I think most would agree best HS WR we have signed in the Harbaugh/Shaw era

-Tijaun Thomas short WR/Corner prospect out of Louisiana.Excellent speed and while short he is pretty stocky and physical.

The 4 guys who excite me the most are

1.Burns (QB)
2.Cotton (TE)
3.Barton (ILB)
4.Owusu (WR)

Offline OutsiderFan

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #542 on: September 14, 2013, 02:47:47 am »
I have no idea what Solomon Thomas is doing, but he sure seems like what DS would call a "Stanford kid."

It looks to me he's the most important remaining uncommitted prospect on Stanford's board.  Schultz seems farm-bound, as does Dickerson, but Thomas plays the all-important DL position.  After whiffing on DL in 2013, it's critical to get three in 2014.  Phillips is one.  Lealao is two.  Thomas would be three.  I don't know who would be the next prospect after Thomas, but I'm imagining it would be a pretty big drop-off in terms of prospect quality.

As for Lealao, if he really is 304, and it is good weight, he may actually grow into a NT. One thing his camp video shows is that he can get his pads down, always difficult for a tall guy to do.

Offline JPRI

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #543 on: September 14, 2013, 03:46:57 am »
Joey Alfieri got 143 yards and three TD's last night on only 8 carries. This included an 80 yard run.
I still like the idea of giving him a shot at running back.

Offline washingtonismoney

• Supreme Court Justice
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #544 on: September 14, 2013, 03:53:59 am »
I have no idea what Solomon Thomas is doing, but he sure seems like what DS would call a "Stanford kid."

Admissions is the key factor. (Pulled that out of the Big Book of Stanford Cliches, I did.)

Offline Publius

• Daily editor
  • Vas a ir a Stanford!
« Reply #545 on: September 14, 2013, 05:07:12 am »

Admissions is the key factor. (Pulled that out of the Big Book of Stanford Cliches, I did.)

Good article about King Solomon. I also usually suspect admissions is the key factor for non-early commits, but I don't think that's the case here.  In this article, he says he has a 4.5 out of 5.0 GPA.  He's probably torn between us, Alabama, and staying home.  The early 247 predictions had him going to Texas, but the more recent predictions point towards us.  Mack Brown's troubles definitely work in our favor.  I think they just fired their AD, and the fans are hoping Mack gets kicked upstairs.  Maybe Thomas is waiting out the situation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/midlands/post/_/id/13962/de-thomas-stands-out-from-crowd

Offline JPRI

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #546 on: September 14, 2013, 05:17:31 am »
Gotta like our chances given this quote:

Im going to go to a place where I can challenge myself, Thomas said. I want to go to a place where the coaches actually emphasize academics, where they make sure youre in front of the class and where youre always in class and studying after football. I dont want to be somewhere where the cheerleaders do all your stuff.

Although Ricky Town said more or less the same thing about Alabama.

Offline rudruff

• Dolly
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #547 on: September 14, 2013, 07:48:40 am »
I always enjoy what other boards have to say about these prospects.

It's also where you can find out that everyone's academics are as good as Stanford. Also, that Shaw sucks and was just following Harbaugh. Oh wait, that was last year. Shaw is going to the NFL, or Texas, or U$C mid-season.

Offline oman

• Tree
  • Reaching for zero respect one post at a time.
« Reply #548 on: September 14, 2013, 05:56:28 pm »
I think they just fired their AD, and the fans are hoping Mack gets kicked upstairs.  Maybe Thomas is waiting out the situation.

No such luck on the AD getting fired, and I think the tide has turned to where most people are absolutely hoping that Brown just leaves. 

The AD and the top boosters have created a horrible culture of complacency.  Need to clean house. 

• Supreme Court Justice
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #549 on: September 15, 2013, 06:13:33 am »
Gotta like our chances ...

If admitted, I'd be shocked if he weren't in cardinal and white in 2014.

Offline Publius

• Daily editor
  • Vas a ir a Stanford!
Re: Class of 2014-Moves to #1
« Reply #550 on: September 17, 2013, 11:57:42 am »
With the commit of Nifae Lealao, Stanford's 2014 class moves to #1 in Pac12 and #18 overall.  I'd imagine if we get commits from the remaining Big 4 (Thomas, Schultz, Dickerson, and Tucker) that we'd move closer to #10 overall than #20.

Offline JPRI

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #551 on: September 21, 2013, 04:53:28 am »
Stanford recruit watch

Joey Alfieri ran for 220 yards on 24 carries and 4 TD's in a losing effort against the team currently ranked #1 in Oregon.
Here he is talking about it.
http://videos.oregonlive.com/oregonian/2013/09/football_jesuits_joey_alfieri.html

Christian McCaffery's team has had two easy victories in the last two weeks, so his playing time has been somewhat limited. Last night he scored three TD's in the first quarter, two by pass reception, one by rushing. The Denver paper lists him at 6'0 200lbs, so if he can put on a few pounds without losing his speed maybe he will be big enough to be an every down back at Stanford.

• Supreme Court Justice
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #552 on: September 21, 2013, 06:27:38 am »
Apparently SC has been after Jordan Perez: https://twitter.com/HayleyElwood/status/381287283791392768

Looks like another good scouting/evaluation job by Shaw & Co.

Offline JPRI

• Daily editor
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #553 on: September 22, 2013, 06:15:26 am »
Tough afternoon for Keller Chryst  and his Paly charges yesterday. After throwing for nearly 200 yards and two TD's in the first half, Keller was held to just 30 yards passing in the second and Paly came out on the short end of a 34-14 game with Mitty.

Oh well, better luck next week.

Offline socalstanfan1

• Tree
  • Go Stanford!
« Reply #554 on: September 22, 2013, 07:18:05 am »
I'm wondering if our new-found passing offense (you know, the one that actually uses wide receivers) might improve our chances with some of the receivers who are either uncommitted, or committed but open to other possibilities. One whose name is occasionally dropped  is Alan Lazzard, currently committed to Iowa State, and with family connections there, but he's been a target of Stanford for a while.  Just rumor mongering here, I guess.