RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
Mick - 01-21-2024
After 87 years, the PGA Tour and the Monterey Foundation has decided to professionalize the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am format. The tournament, originally known as the Crosby Clambake after its founder and titular head, Bing Crosby, is changing its format drastically. You can thank the LIV Tour for that. The tournament will become one of eight PGA Tour Signature Events, designed to compete with the LIV tour, says Steve John, tournament director and CEO of the Monterey Peninsula Foundation.
In fairness, only three players among the world's top 20 competed in the 2023 AT&T Pro-Am, including 2022 US Open winner Matt Fitzpatrick, Jordan Spieth and Viktor Hovland and only 21 of the Top 100 PGA players participated.
Summary of the changes are as follows:
1) The field will be cut in half, from 156 to 80 pros, and a like number of amateurs.
2) Eighty pros will play three rounds at Pebble Beach and one round at Spyglass Hill, which will be used as a Thursday/Friday venue. No Cypress Point, no Poppy Hills, no Monterey Peninsula CC.
3) There will only be a few amateur golfers from sports & entertainment; e.g., Buster Posey, Pau Gasol, Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers and Larry Fitzgerald.
4) 54 hole cut - eliminated.
5) Amateur play on Saturday and Sunday - eliminated.
6) Celebrity Challenge - eliminated.
7) Club 15 - eliminated.
8) Public attendance of Monday and Tuesday practice rounds - eliminated.
9) Fun, frivolity, joy - eliminated.
What was Club 15? A group of rowdy drinkers behind the 15th hole. Got their start when they gave Bill Murray a shirt from my alma mater, and he wore it for the rest of the round, and would stop by to say hello every year thereafter. They've been told they're no longer welcome.
Bill Murray, gone. Ray Romano, gone. But, Rory McIlroy is playing, as is Rose, Clark, Day, Fleetwood, Schaufele, Bradley, Cantlay, Fowler, and Stanford alums McNealy and Rodgers. It is a very impressive list (see link below). They were attracted by the purse which more than doubled from $9 million to $20 million and AT&T is paying for the $11 million increase. So if you like serious golf, it's the place to be:
https://www.attpbgolf.com/players/
Get your tickets here. Tournament is in 10 days:
https://www.attpbgolf.com/tickets/?awtrc=true&c=blue_ext&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnrOtBhDIARIsAFsSe51qE7m4fXFn99lJYZGRfK-K4wxBu0Tzr3vArd2sLqhy-wEcez9uy7kaAjb-EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/12/28/the-att-pebble-beach-pro-am-gets-serious-no-hollywood-celebrities-or-exhibition-events/
RE: RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
Giants - 01-21-2024
The Top 50 golfers from last year (plus 30 more based on a rolling formula) must participate or be subject to a hefty fine. The new arrangement permits players qualified to play in a Signature Event to miss only one during the season. Any further failures to appear result in a fine.
Last year, McIroy opted out of the Heritage (his second Signature absence that season) and was fined $3 million.
RE: RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
Mick - 01-21-2024
(01-21-2024, 02:13 PM)Giants Wrote: The Top 50 golfers from last year (plus 30 more based on a rolling formula) must participate or be subject to a hefty fine. The new arrangement permits players qualified to play in a Signature Event to miss only one during the season. Any further failures to appear result in a fine.
Last year, McIroy opted out of the Heritage (his second Signature absence that season) and was fined $3 million.
Only three of the Top 50 are not currently signed up, including Tom Kim, Tony Finau and Jon Rahm.
RE: RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
Giants - 01-21-2024
Jon Rahm is no longer eligible to play in PGA Tour events. He is a LIV guy now.
RE: RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
CowboyIndian - 01-22-2024
Is Persis Drell now in charge of the tournament?
RE: RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
Spiny_Norman - 01-22-2024
(01-22-2024, 09:00 AM)CowboyIndian Wrote: Is Persis Drell now in charge of the tournament?
9) Fun, frivolity, joy - eliminated.
Yes.
RE: RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
martyup - 01-22-2024
(01-22-2024, 09:00 AM)CowboyIndian Wrote: Is Persis Drell now in charge of the tournament?
No, they put Larry Scott in charge.
RE: RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
Mick - 02-01-2024
Today is the first round of the Pebble Beach pro-am. Here's the link to the list of amateurs, along with their handicaps. No one from entertainment remains (not that I can perceive), and only a handful of athletes. There is a slew of well-heeled amateurs who presumably cut a big check to participate, including Condoleeza Rice:
https://golf.com/news/2024-pebble-beach-pro-amateur-handicaps/
RE: RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
jacket3ree - 02-01-2024
That's a shame. Just another stop on tour now. My firm used to get a few passes every year. Many years ago I went during the early practice rounds in picture perfect weather. I'm not a "shuttle guy", so I parked somewhere in Carmel and climbed the bluff at Pebble's tenth (?) hole, running right into John Smoltz. I think he was still pitching for the Braves at the time, and I was wearing a GT polo. He asked me how I materialized out of nowhere and I told him I refuse to pay for parking because I'm that cheap. A little small talk about Atlanta Fulton County Stadium and present scenery and we're both on our way. I only did that once, and the golf did not spoil what was a good walk.
RE: RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
Mick - 02-04-2024
Wyndham Clark leads after 54 holes, -17. Stanford golfer, Maverick McNealy is 11 strokes back at -6. If memory serves, the McNealys used to have a house in the Pebble Beach course. The other Stanford golfer, Patrick Rodgers is +5 and is second to last.
Clark had a course and tournament record 60 yesterday, and the course is saturated with water. Round 4 postponed to Monday...if it gets played at all.
Some interesting stats about this year's tournament:
1. As of 1/29/2024, tournament organizers said ticket sales were more than $200k higher than "last year's pace". 2022 Pro-Am ticket sales were a record, not sure about 2023. No information about walk-up ticket sales, although I can't see how there would be more if there's only three courses instead of two. Seems counterintuitive. Also, no mention of overnight television ratings, though the tournament organizers said they were counting on better ratings with the better golf field.
2. The AT&T used 300 fewer volunteers (1,600) than in prior years, chiefly because they're down to two course from three.
3. The average cost for an amateur to play was increased from $38,000 to more than $70,000.
4. Over 200 charities in San Benito, Monterey and Santa Cruz counties will share in the $18 million+ that the AT&T Pro-Am's charity raises.
5. Nick Dunlap, the first amateur to win a PGA tournament since Mickelson won in 1991, is currently last in the field at +7.
6. Rory McIlroy and Jeff Rhodes won the pro-am at -17.
RE: RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
Scooter_Stepford - 02-04-2024
(02-04-2024, 11:19 AM)Mick Wrote: Wyndham Clark leads after 54 holes, -17. Stanford golfer, Maverick McNealy is 11 strokes back at -6. If memory serves, the McNealys used to have a house in the Pebble Beach course. The other Stanford golfer, Patrick Rodgers is +5 and is second to last.
Brandon Wu is also in the field. He finished Saturday’s round -5.
RE: RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
76lsjumb - 02-04-2024
So yesterday I headed down to Pebble Beach. No rain until about 2:45. Indeed, I’ve been to a number of US Open rounds there with worse weather than yesterday. Pretty good crowd. I didn’t get to see Bill Murray eat a spectator’s hot dog or hear Ray Romano tell the same jokes as prior years, but I did get to see the putt by the reigning US Open champion that set the all-time ( per one article, that would be 105 years) course record at Pebble Beach. So I’ve got that going for me. Which is nice.
Also, I had a nice chat at the 9th tee with Howard Hassen and his wife. Reminisced about the Old Pavilion…
In short, for me, at least, not really “just another stop on the tour,”… except maybe in the way that JuJu Watkins had “just another decent game” on Friday. :-0
RE: RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
Mick - 01-31-2025
2025 Pebble Beach AT&T pro-am is under way. This is the second year that the AT&T is a PGA Signature Event. Here's the full list, all complete by June. The AT&T is the second Signature event of eight during the year:
About The Tournament |
Wyndham Clark won last year. This year, there are 80 pros and 80 amateurs. The players include Maverick McNealy, Patrick Rodgers. As I write this, McNealy is T38, five under and Rodgers is T13, eight under. Here's the list:
Player Commitments |
Good field. 45 of the top 50, five prior AT&T champions, 62 PGA Tour winners
2025 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am Spectator Guide
Here's the leaderboard:
AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am 2025 Golf Leaderboard - PGA TOUR
PGA Tournament site:
AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am 2025 Golf Leaderboard - PGA TOUR - Highlights
RE: RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
Mick - 02-16-2025
Rory won the Pebble Beach tournament at -21, Shane Lowry a stroke behind at -20. Lucas Glover and Justin Rose T3 at -18.
Stanford's Patrick Rodgers finished T22 at -10 with a nice closing 67 at Pebble and Maverick McNealy finished T40, two strokes behind Rodgers at -8.
RE: RIP: AT&T Pro-Am -
Mick - 02-09-2026
(01-31-2025, 05:07 PM)Mick Wrote: 2025 Pebble Beach AT&T pro-am is under way. This is the second year that the AT&T is a PGA Signature Event. Here's the full list, all complete by June. The AT&T is the second Signature event of eight during the year:
About The Tournament |
Wyndham Clark won last year. This year, there are 80 pros and 80 amateurs. The players include Maverick McNealy, Patrick Rodgers. As I write this, McNealy is T38, five under and Rodgers is T13, eight under. Here's the list:
Player Commitments |
Good field. 45 of the top 50, five prior AT&T champions, 62 PGA Tour winners. Not playing are Brooks Koepka, Adam Scott, Max Homa, Tom Kim, Sungjae Im, Rasmus and Nicolai Hojgaard, Michael Brennan, and Kristoffer Reitan.
2025 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am Spectator Guide
Here's the leaderboard: AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am 2025 Golf Leaderboard - PGA TOUR
PGA Tournament site: AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am 2025 Golf Leaderboard - PGA TOUR - Highlights
The AT&T is the first PGA Signature Event of the year, given that the Sentry was cancelled*. 49 of the top 50 players eligible are participating, all except Justin Thomas who is rehabbing from back surgery. Scheffler and McIlroy (defending his title) will be there. As the frst of the PGA's Signature events, the purse has increased from $9 million two years ago to $20 million this year. AT&T is the longest-running continuous sponsor on the PGA Tour.
As with last year, the amateurs are playing just the first two rounds at Spyglass and Pebble Beach. No Bill Murray (or any other celebrity) on Saturdays. The old field had 156 pros and 156 amateurs, this year's tournament will be 80 pros and 80 amateurs.
The field is limited, and no-cut. Stanford alums Patrick Rodgers, Maverick McNealy, Michael Thorbjornsen (T3 at last week's WM Open!) are entered.
2026 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am full field: The year’s first PGA Tour signature event
* The Sentry Open in Kapalua has kicked off every PGA Tour schedule every year between 1986 and 2013, then again in 2024 and 2025 because the Plantation Course at Kapalua would not be ready, due to ongoing drought and "related challenges on the Island of Maui."
The Sentry: Why PGA Tour Opener Isn't Taking Place In 2026 | Golf Monthly