01-07-2012, 06:57 PM
The consensus among national media--see this article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/wr...t=hp_wr_a2
is that Penn State did about as well as they could do with their coaching hire. I don't agree. They interviewed Greg Roman and didn't hire him, which seems very curious to me--Roman, after all, had quite a bit of success at Stanford and then followed that up by making Alex Smith a functional NFL QB. While I can't predict the reaction of former Penn State players and Penn State fans, I personally think Roman would've been a much better hire than O'Brien.
This makes him 0-2 on coaching hires--last year he whiffed on Vanderbilt. Strange, no? I guess this leaves open the possibility that he'd take a Pac-12 job other than ours eventually, which I would not like at all.
is that Penn State did about as well as they could do with their coaching hire. I don't agree. They interviewed Greg Roman and didn't hire him, which seems very curious to me--Roman, after all, had quite a bit of success at Stanford and then followed that up by making Alex Smith a functional NFL QB. While I can't predict the reaction of former Penn State players and Penn State fans, I personally think Roman would've been a much better hire than O'Brien.
This makes him 0-2 on coaching hires--last year he whiffed on Vanderbilt. Strange, no? I guess this leaves open the possibility that he'd take a Pac-12 job other than ours eventually, which I would not like at all.
