I will second that analysis, 81!
Jordan Hamilton's initiation to an audience at Maples was probably her most horrendous day ever on the basketball court. She had to do it against our most improved player in Agnes Emma-Nnopu. Jordan's every move was harassed by Agnes's aggressive play. But, I don’t think that Jordan should necessarily be judged on that performance. It actually seemed to be a statement game by Agnes. She was the only player who did not get to make an appearance on the court as a player in San Antonio. I’m sure she had plenty of time to think about that during the off-season. In the pre-scrimmage warmups today, she hit seven consecutive three pointers. And that caught my attention! In the second half of the scrimmage, her offense came alive and, as '81 observed, she added offense to her tenacious defense. She proved herself by making three straight three-pointers in the fourth quarter. I really hopes she gets quality playing time this year. It will be to everyone’s advantage — except our opponents!
I also concur with '81’s observation of Fran Bilibi. Fran seem confident and smooth, which was a pleasure to see, given her let down and reduced playing time at the end of last season. I’m sure that Fran spent time thinking during the off-season about her reduction in playing time last spring (and her miscue in our loss to Colorado). It appeared, from her performance today, that she also spent plenty of time honing her skills on the court this summer. Her fluidity and determination were evident!
The other player that caught my eye today was freshman Kiki Iriafen. She played toe to toe with our much more experienced players. For her efforts she managed to deter several players from making easy shots under the basket. Even when she was up against someone as athletic as Cameron Brink, she didn’t back down. I think that Kiki actually got under Cam's skin a bit, and consequently took a hard elbow to the face, for which Cam received a technical foul (and Kiki had to be administered to by the trainer). (I’m sure that Cam’s frustration probably was a carry-over from practice.) Kiki also delivered well as an accomplished offensive post and made several shots from under the basket against stiff competition. For those of you that saw the video of Kiki's effortless dunk this summer, it is apparent that she will bring a ton of game to Maples in the next four years!
And the rest of our players were a kick to watch after a long absence from basketball at Maples.
For those that were unable to attend, today's scrimmage was a double treat. Either of the two teams that paired off against each other today would be strong enough to defend Stanford’s role this year as national champions. I can’t wait for the games to begin!
And I look forward to a family's trip to the Bahamas in just over three weeks to see our women play! Get your booster and be a booster!
This promises to be quite a year for Stanford Women’s Basketball.
Jordan Hamilton's initiation to an audience at Maples was probably her most horrendous day ever on the basketball court. She had to do it against our most improved player in Agnes Emma-Nnopu. Jordan's every move was harassed by Agnes's aggressive play. But, I don’t think that Jordan should necessarily be judged on that performance. It actually seemed to be a statement game by Agnes. She was the only player who did not get to make an appearance on the court as a player in San Antonio. I’m sure she had plenty of time to think about that during the off-season. In the pre-scrimmage warmups today, she hit seven consecutive three pointers. And that caught my attention! In the second half of the scrimmage, her offense came alive and, as '81 observed, she added offense to her tenacious defense. She proved herself by making three straight three-pointers in the fourth quarter. I really hopes she gets quality playing time this year. It will be to everyone’s advantage — except our opponents!
I also concur with '81’s observation of Fran Bilibi. Fran seem confident and smooth, which was a pleasure to see, given her let down and reduced playing time at the end of last season. I’m sure that Fran spent time thinking during the off-season about her reduction in playing time last spring (and her miscue in our loss to Colorado). It appeared, from her performance today, that she also spent plenty of time honing her skills on the court this summer. Her fluidity and determination were evident!
The other player that caught my eye today was freshman Kiki Iriafen. She played toe to toe with our much more experienced players. For her efforts she managed to deter several players from making easy shots under the basket. Even when she was up against someone as athletic as Cameron Brink, she didn’t back down. I think that Kiki actually got under Cam's skin a bit, and consequently took a hard elbow to the face, for which Cam received a technical foul (and Kiki had to be administered to by the trainer). (I’m sure that Cam’s frustration probably was a carry-over from practice.) Kiki also delivered well as an accomplished offensive post and made several shots from under the basket against stiff competition. For those of you that saw the video of Kiki's effortless dunk this summer, it is apparent that she will bring a ton of game to Maples in the next four years!
And the rest of our players were a kick to watch after a long absence from basketball at Maples.
For those that were unable to attend, today's scrimmage was a double treat. Either of the two teams that paired off against each other today would be strong enough to defend Stanford’s role this year as national champions. I can’t wait for the games to begin!
And I look forward to a family's trip to the Bahamas in just over three weeks to see our women play! Get your booster and be a booster!
This promises to be quite a year for Stanford Women’s Basketball.
