09-27-2010, 04:58 PM
These past four weeks I have tried to watch as many college football games as possible. Stanford is a top 20 team, and those that enjoy great football should come to Stanford Stadium to see the team play. So if the hype drives attendance then great.
Stanford\'s offensive packages are far and away the most diverse in the FBS. Stanford has the full compliment of traditional West Coast Offense style plays, a full compliment of traditional Big Ten smash mouth plays, and a full compliment of odd alignments to force mismatches. It really is a stunningly complicated collection.
Stanford\'s D amazingly includes guys that have a nose for the ball and now appear to have very sound tackling skills.
But the first 4 weeks usually reveal very little about the season since it is full of cupcakes and unfamiliar non-conference opponents.
On both sides of the ball I think I am seeing faster teams on TV every week. Scheme and power can sometimes overcome raw speed, but....
The next two weeks will tell us everything. Stanford plays two very motivated conference opponents with loads of speed and talent. One in Eugene looking for revenge and a BCS championship game invite. The other from LA looking for revenge in a bowl-replacement game.
If Stanford gets to 6-0, then I think I will feel more comfortable about "most impressive team in the country" type hype. For now I see the hype and can\'t help but cringe a touch.
Stanford\'s offensive packages are far and away the most diverse in the FBS. Stanford has the full compliment of traditional West Coast Offense style plays, a full compliment of traditional Big Ten smash mouth plays, and a full compliment of odd alignments to force mismatches. It really is a stunningly complicated collection.
Stanford\'s D amazingly includes guys that have a nose for the ball and now appear to have very sound tackling skills.
But the first 4 weeks usually reveal very little about the season since it is full of cupcakes and unfamiliar non-conference opponents.
On both sides of the ball I think I am seeing faster teams on TV every week. Scheme and power can sometimes overcome raw speed, but....
The next two weeks will tell us everything. Stanford plays two very motivated conference opponents with loads of speed and talent. One in Eugene looking for revenge and a BCS championship game invite. The other from LA looking for revenge in a bowl-replacement game.
If Stanford gets to 6-0, then I think I will feel more comfortable about "most impressive team in the country" type hype. For now I see the hype and can\'t help but cringe a touch.

