In defense of Herbstreit...
He predicted Stanford would win the Pac-10 conference back in August. I am sure ESPN saves those conference preview pieces, and his prediction is there. He does say something like, "Don\'t hold me to this" but he did think highly of Stanford back in August.
Few have been as consistently positive about Stanford\'s potential, last year during Gamedays he routinely believed JH and Stanford could get it done. A few times he was wrong, but he picked Stanford quite a number of times.
I think others get hung up on the various player demographics that would normally allow people to assume the team could not actually be very good. So I have tremendous respect for Herbstreit and his ability to look beyond those things.
I think it also helps that he called the Stanford ND game last year. Unlike most in the media, he has actually seen the Stanford players and had a chance to learn a touch about the Stanford system under JH.
He predicted Stanford would win the Pac-10 conference back in August. I am sure ESPN saves those conference preview pieces, and his prediction is there. He does say something like, "Don\'t hold me to this" but he did think highly of Stanford back in August.
Few have been as consistently positive about Stanford\'s potential, last year during Gamedays he routinely believed JH and Stanford could get it done. A few times he was wrong, but he picked Stanford quite a number of times.
I think others get hung up on the various player demographics that would normally allow people to assume the team could not actually be very good. So I have tremendous respect for Herbstreit and his ability to look beyond those things.
I think it also helps that he called the Stanford ND game last year. Unlike most in the media, he has actually seen the Stanford players and had a chance to learn a touch about the Stanford system under JH.

