09-19-2026, 09:44 PM
(09-19-2026, 04:01 PM)BostonCard Wrote: https://x.com/bleacherreport/status/2101...79144?s=61To be fair, it appears he fumbled the ball about the time the clock ran out. I'm not sure he had an opportunity to take a knee, considering how he ran.
That is unbelievable. Run out the back of the end zone. Take a knee. Do anything, honestly, even throw a long interception, except the one thing that the QB did, which was fumble the ball in the end zone and allow Vandy to recover it. I don’t think in the long story of WSU Cougars has anyone Coughed it up as badly as NC State Coughed it today. He literally did the only thing he couldn’t do.
BC
I would say the coach should be the one to take responsibility for this. Yes, the QB fumbled it, but the coach allowed that to happen.
I can't tell what the timeout situation was. I expect that the opponent had called timeouts so the coach had an opportunity to call the play.
Interesting: I had hypothesized what I would do. I found it in the NCAA FB rules, but with offensive holding. My guess is that without holding, it would be legal.
Quote:Team A, ahead in the score by four points, has 4th-and-10 at the A-30
with 0:14 seconds remaining in the game. From a shotgun formation, A12
receives the snap, retreats back toward his own goal line, and moves out
of the tackle box. At the snap, each Team A lineman blatantly holds the
Team B player in front of them, preventing the defensive linemen from
immediately rushing the passer. When rushers approach A12 he throws the
ball high so that it lands beyond the line of scrimmage and out of bounds.
When the pass hits the ground, the game clock reads 0:00. The umpire,
center judge (if applicable) and referee each have a flag on the ground for
holding on Team A. RULING: This is a blatant and obvious unfair act
designed to take time off of the clock. The referee will convert the holding
fouls to unsportsmanlike conduct fouls. Penalize Team A 15 yards from the
previous spot. Team A will have 4th and 25 at the A-15. The game clock
is reset to 0:14 and starts on the next snap. Each Team A lineman guilty of
holding will have one unsportsmanlike foul counter.
Right below that is what I would call the Stanford-Cal rule. Not quite what happened, but close enough to possibly have been inspired by that game.
Quote:1/10 @ A-25 with 0:01 remaining in the game and Team A trails by 5
points. A12 throws a pass that is complete to A88 at midfield. After the
catch by A88, there are a series of legal backwards passes keeping the
ball alive in Team A possession. Eventually A21 laterals the ball toward
teammate A44, and the ball hits the ground with no recovery. The Team
B bench thinking that the ball is dead rushes the field and many squad
members are on the field. A44 recovers the ball and begins running and
encounters heavy traffic with the Team B squad members on the field,
reverses field and is finally tackled by B50 at the B-30. RULING: No
substitute, coach or any person subject to the rules, other than a player or
official may interfere in any way with the ball or a player while the ball is
in play. This unfair act will be penalized 15 yards as a live ball foul. The
Referee may enforce any penalty that they consider equitable, including
awarding a score.
