09-20-2026, 10:06 AM
Considering that a team reportedly below us in NIL spend trounced us 35-7 yesterday, I don't think we can just blame NIL. I think our near-term goal should be to be a respectable ACC team, meaning average or better most years and posting a winning record more often than not. Top 10 in the country feels out of reach in the current environment given the spending gap.
Seems to me that the proposed legislation at least gives Stanford the option to be more competitive if we choose to do so. If we are hitting the current cap, the added retention budget is easier for us to tap into than cutting "legitimate" deals with third parties to increase our budget.
Whether we should spend nearly $50 million or year paying players is a whole other question, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. But as a selfish fan I sayets go for it :)
Seems to me that the proposed legislation at least gives Stanford the option to be more competitive if we choose to do so. If we are hitting the current cap, the added retention budget is easier for us to tap into than cutting "legitimate" deals with third parties to increase our budget.
Whether we should spend nearly $50 million or year paying players is a whole other question, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. But as a selfish fan I sayets go for it :)

