03-09-2011, 11:04 AM
It seems there are two issues:
That "Easy" classes exist and Some sort of process of identifying "easy" classes for athletes. Which of those is an outrage?
Under a jihad against "easy" classes, my Speech & Public Presentation class sophomore year would not have counted. But it was the first time anyone ever took the time to dissect the essentials of a structured speech (which is different from the plodding essay thesis/sub-thesis/assertion/evidence structure we had drilled into us in HS). And it was the first time I had to actually get up and speak (and spend the time preparing) multiple times. Practice, practice, practice works for cellists and ball players. Why is it a bad discipline for non-athletes developing a skill? Sure, it is "easy" compared to the problem sets that fullmetal had to do, but it added an enduring, useful communication skill. Didn\'t count toward my major, so why get upset that it\'s available as a free choice for a student? There were two football players in the class. One, Pete Lazetich, was one of the most naturally funny speakers I\'ve ever encountered.
Not sure I understand the issue of letting athletes know what these classes are. The enrollment was open, not restricted to athletes. If the university commits (as most Div. 1 schools do) to helping its athletes make it to graduation, why is this a bad thing? For years Kal had an  almost criminal graduation rate for its football players. I hate almost everything Kal, but I applaud their efforts to do right by their student athletes and the improvements they\'ve made under Tedford. Athletes, if they take the academic opportunity seriously, often have a very tough road through school. There are hours that other students have to work on , say, their calculus problem sets that student athletes just don\'t have. If Kayla Pedersen or Owen Marecic take an art class along with Hum Bio, good on \'em.
I support any student who will spend time digging for facts, as the students credited at the bottom of the story did. Still, it smacks a bit of Revenge of the Nerds. Why this subject? Angry former HS valedictorians whose minds are in a kink over somebody else\'s path through life? There\'s a whiff of it in this "expose". Maybe they should take a class in lightening up. For credit or not.
That "Easy" classes exist and Some sort of process of identifying "easy" classes for athletes. Which of those is an outrage?
Under a jihad against "easy" classes, my Speech & Public Presentation class sophomore year would not have counted. But it was the first time anyone ever took the time to dissect the essentials of a structured speech (which is different from the plodding essay thesis/sub-thesis/assertion/evidence structure we had drilled into us in HS). And it was the first time I had to actually get up and speak (and spend the time preparing) multiple times. Practice, practice, practice works for cellists and ball players. Why is it a bad discipline for non-athletes developing a skill? Sure, it is "easy" compared to the problem sets that fullmetal had to do, but it added an enduring, useful communication skill. Didn\'t count toward my major, so why get upset that it\'s available as a free choice for a student? There were two football players in the class. One, Pete Lazetich, was one of the most naturally funny speakers I\'ve ever encountered.
Not sure I understand the issue of letting athletes know what these classes are. The enrollment was open, not restricted to athletes. If the university commits (as most Div. 1 schools do) to helping its athletes make it to graduation, why is this a bad thing? For years Kal had an  almost criminal graduation rate for its football players. I hate almost everything Kal, but I applaud their efforts to do right by their student athletes and the improvements they\'ve made under Tedford. Athletes, if they take the academic opportunity seriously, often have a very tough road through school. There are hours that other students have to work on , say, their calculus problem sets that student athletes just don\'t have. If Kayla Pedersen or Owen Marecic take an art class along with Hum Bio, good on \'em.
I support any student who will spend time digging for facts, as the students credited at the bottom of the story did. Still, it smacks a bit of Revenge of the Nerds. Why this subject? Angry former HS valedictorians whose minds are in a kink over somebody else\'s path through life? There\'s a whiff of it in this "expose". Maybe they should take a class in lightening up. For credit or not.