"Few folks would really care if this wasn\'t Stanford, which is supposed to be, you know, Stanford-y."
This is the only reason the Chron picked it up. I think we all know athletes at Stanford aren\'t spending their seasons simultaneously perfecting cold fusion, but people enjoy the reminder.
When I was an undergrad, we didn\'t exactly have a list of easy classes (my major allowed 12 hours of free elective - total - so \'easy\' was a pretty relative term), but we had very detailed lists of classes/sections/professors to avoid like the plague. You tried to wait until sections were taught by those in the \'Santa Claus\' category rather than the \'Shaft\' or \'Super Shaft\' category. This list was so non-underground that it was available in the campus bookstore. Eventually Ma Tech figured it out and replaced professor names in the course catalog with "Staff" which is only two letters removed from "Shaft", which is what we just assumed we would get.
We also had "Word" (old tests and such), which could be very helpful, particularly when you had a lazy prof who had taught the same class for decades. Last fall I found some of my old word in our frat\'s store room. Can\'t believe anyone still uses it after 25 years, or maybe they just don\'t clean much. (Well that is a true statement.)
We had Word at Stanford too, if you knew the right people. One of my friends who shall remain nameless, but is a tenured professor in Berkeley, was caught with Word in class during a test. We all pretended to ignore what was happening, but she responded to the professor\'s confrontation with "but everyone uses it and you never change your tests!" You couldn\'t hear a pin drop due to the collective smacking of foreheads....
This is the only reason the Chron picked it up. I think we all know athletes at Stanford aren\'t spending their seasons simultaneously perfecting cold fusion, but people enjoy the reminder.
When I was an undergrad, we didn\'t exactly have a list of easy classes (my major allowed 12 hours of free elective - total - so \'easy\' was a pretty relative term), but we had very detailed lists of classes/sections/professors to avoid like the plague. You tried to wait until sections were taught by those in the \'Santa Claus\' category rather than the \'Shaft\' or \'Super Shaft\' category. This list was so non-underground that it was available in the campus bookstore. Eventually Ma Tech figured it out and replaced professor names in the course catalog with "Staff" which is only two letters removed from "Shaft", which is what we just assumed we would get.
We also had "Word" (old tests and such), which could be very helpful, particularly when you had a lazy prof who had taught the same class for decades. Last fall I found some of my old word in our frat\'s store room. Can\'t believe anyone still uses it after 25 years, or maybe they just don\'t clean much. (Well that is a true statement.)
We had Word at Stanford too, if you knew the right people. One of my friends who shall remain nameless, but is a tenured professor in Berkeley, was caught with Word in class during a test. We all pretended to ignore what was happening, but she responded to the professor\'s confrontation with "but everyone uses it and you never change your tests!" You couldn\'t hear a pin drop due to the collective smacking of foreheads....
Yeah, I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working .I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work. Peter Gibbons
