The CardBoard

Full Version: Iowa fans discover the Stanford Band - And are very angry and very confused
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Perhaps being behind 35-0 inhibits your sense of humor ...

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/s...ime.78370/
For those who were not at the game, the Band's halftime show was themed around internet dating on farmeronly.com and included a giant holstein cow.  Guaranteed to be taken as an insult regardless of the intent.
I'll cut the Iowa fans some slack.  Partly because I don't care for the bad's antics either, and also because I can understand the disappointment they must be feeling.
I mean, it was pretty complimentary of them to me.  They basically said the Iowa band was fun and they would want to be their rival.  Yes they hit on corn and cow-tipping and general farmer stuff, but it's Iowa, that's the obvious fun stereotype you go for there.  As someone pointed out elsewhere, Iowa has an "America Needs Farmers" sticker on their helmets, so it's not like we really going out into left field with that one.
(01-01-2016, 10:35 PM)French Rage link Wrote:I mean, it was pretty complimentary of them to me.  They basically said the Iowa band was fun and they would want to be their rival.  Yes they hit on corn and cow-tipping and general farmer stuff, but it's Iowa, that's the obvious fun stereotype you go for there.  As someone pointed out elsewhere, Iowa has an "America Needs Farmers" sticker on their helmets, so it's not like we really going out into left field with that one.

When you're losing by 35 at halftime in a game you spent $3k to attend it won't take very much to set you off.
I enjoyed that the mention of "non-gmo" corn brought a extra chorus of boos.  Things I learned today, Iowans are really touchy when it comes to cows, dating websites (which I guess are only hilarious to the coasts), and corn.

Of course, a friend of mine from Iowa also informed me Iowa state fans are the nice ones, Iowa fans are assholes.  He might be biased though, no idea where his family went to school.
The band's antics are a lot less irritating when the team is 3-8.
It has become part of their tradition.

Putting on halftime shows that irritate and upset opposing fans.

Glad (at least I guess I am) to see they haven't lost it.
The band didn't spoof anyone's religion, ridicule ethanol or demean anybody. 

They could've done a much more provocative show, like a  Salute to Farm Subsidies, which (given the reaction to the cow) would've had the Hawks storming the field.

There's an old saying about what to do if people can't take a joke.

Iowa should give lightening up a try.
The band posted the full script on their Facebook page: https://twitter.com/lsjumb/status/683181315135422465

This might be the most benign show that's gotten this much news.  If anything most of the jokes were self deprecating about Californians (humanely tipping heirloom cows).  And really, the opening makes fun of Cal, so a good show.
The seats near me had been bought by an Iowa tour group. One of the women near me saw the cow before the show, and said, "It looks like some farm jokes are coming." The show was benign. Any Iowa fan who found it offensive wasn't aware of the LSJUMB and probably thought they were going to be watching a Big Ten band in funny costumes — or was looking for a reason to be offended.
They were down 35-0. The game was clearly over. They had waited 25 years, in many cases their entire lives, for this moment and it was in utter shambles. There's probably nothing at all the band could do that's at all in the spirit of the band that wouldn't draw this sort of reaction.
If they can't take jokes as mild as those, that's their problem. The heck with them.
I think Stupac2's take is the one that fits my perceptions of the Iowan personality profile.  There is just a notably lower level of arbitrary angst among people in that part of the country - unless it relates to their favorite television series.  :-X
The problem isn't arbitrary angst levels. The problem is that Iowans are stupid. Remember, these are the guys who said they'd never heard of Christian McCaffrey. And one of their DBs bragged about how he was going to "pancake" Joshua Garnett, which, even if you have the ability to do it, which he certainly didn't, was a stupid thing to say in the run-up to a bowl game. Anyway, this will give them something to talk about for the next 25 years until they get into their next Rose Bowl.
They were upset with the whole pink locker room thing BEFORE the game started.  The whole progressive vs conservative and/or urban vs rural just bothered them a touch.  It's all good.  They seems set to boo LSJUMB and I was happy LSJUMB delivered. 

FWIW - The Iowa band's playlist in the second half was awesome.  They were just playing all kinds of popular current tunes for the folks in the stands.  I would take the Iowa band's musical selections over most in the Pac-12 any day. 

FWIW2 - As an at-large style selection Iowa was lucky to get into the Rose Bowl.  Honestly, tOSU was clearly a better team with a more impressive resume.  A Pac-12 runner-up that was, at best, the third strongest team from the conference would simply never get to appear in the Rose Bowl.  So hard to feel too bad for Iowa and their fans.
(01-02-2016, 11:50 AM)garvin link Wrote:The problem isn't arbitrary angst levels. The problem is that Iowans are stupid. Remember, these are the guys who said they'd never heard of Christian McCaffrey. And one of their DBs bragged about how he was going to "pancake" Joshua Garnett, which, even if you have the ability to do it, which he certainly didn't, was a stupid thing to say in the run-up to a bowl game. Anyway, this will give them something to talk about for the next 25 years until they get into their next Rose Bowl.

Well-reasoned.  How could I have let my blind ignorance overwhelm my perceptions.  Screw those dumb Iowans!!
Edward M. Beaux seeks to make up with the Iowa fans.

https://twitter.com/lsjumb/status/683078..._src=twsrc
(01-02-2016, 12:00 PM)Farm93 link Wrote:They were upset with the whole pink locker room thing BEFORE the game started.  The whole progressive vs conservative and/or urban vs rural just bothered them a touch.

What?

Also, isn't Iowa one of the more progressive states? I know they were one of the first to allow gay marriage.
It is actually almost perfectly purple in the political spectrum.  As long as I can remember they have had one very liberal senator and one very conservative senator.  I think a majority of the state would refer to themselves as "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" regardless of party affiliation.