The CardBoard

Full Version: Board name for U_S_C
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Can this board PLEASE do away with "Unbelievably Spoiled Children" as its U_S_C edit?  It's such an impossibly lame term, and doesn't even use words associated with trash talk in sports.  Who uses "spoiled" when talking smack about another team?

"Under Stanford Control" is a far, far, superior term, and as I have said before, they hate nothing more than being called "Southern Cal" (for obvious reasons), so why not use the term they themselves hate the most?

"Under Stanford Control" or "Southern Cal" should be the auto edit for U.S.C.  Anyone else agree?
I agree. I especially don't think Stanford calling US C spoiled makes much sense.
I don't like Under Stanford Control because it is presumptuous and does not point to their glaring flaws.  If we lose to them, as we did in '13 and '14, it makes no sense.  The "U" could be utterly, uppity, university, under, ugly, universal, unbelievable, or uber.  The "S" could be supercilious, sanctions, sociopaths, suck, sinful, sorry, or stupid.  The "C" could be criminals, crime, contempt, corrupt, chosen, compulsory, or crap. 

Here are the general traits that fit them IMO.  They are overrated consistently.  The are cheaters, thugs, frequently sanctioned, primadonnas, cocky, rude, smug, egotistic, vain, arrogant, pretentious, insolent, imperious, bullies, punks, and hoodlums.

With the brain power on this board, I'm sure we can come up with a much better replacement for U.S.C.
Why not just let it be the real name of the school and skip the auto-edit entirely? If it ever was funny, it certainly isn't funny anymore. 
(09-04-2016, 10:13 AM)double e dub link Wrote:Why not just let it be the real name of the school and skip the auto-edit entirely? If it ever was funny, it certainly isn't funny anymore.

I agree that no sustitution would be better than the current USC.
University of Shamed Coaches? (Kiffin's fire-at-30k; everything about Sarkisian; Ed Orgeron's treatment while acting coach)?

University of Stupid Choices (see last night's ball buster; arguably, attendance at the university at all... ;))?
Quirky is good.  At least it works for me.

There's a lot of by-the-books websites and our own site is certainly more vanilla than it's been in the past.  Does everyone really love Vanilla that much?  Must it be on every shelf with no room for other flavors?  I've always been an Jamoca Almond Fudge or a Everything-But-The-Kitchen-Sink guy myself.

Switching our name up to a more topical substitute works but screw vanilla. 

(P.S.  2006Alum gets bonus thumbs up for University of Shamed Coaches.)

University of Subpar Coaches might be more apt after this weekend.  But Spoiled Children and Second Choice are traditional monikers that I have no problem with keeping in institutional memory.  Southern Croatia is also an acceptable name when referencing water polo.

Stanford's fanbase is not a typical fanbase, and we're not likely to use typical trash talking terms (if we even trash talk...we use data).
Unsportsmanlike Stompers of Crotches?
Given the Hollywood people I've met over the years and the graduates of the University of Just Off The 110, I think University of S.outhern Cali.fornia is pejorative enough...
(09-04-2016, 01:07 PM)stanfan link Wrote:Unsportsmanlike Stompers of Crotches?

This has to be the winner! As I mentioned in another thread last night, they did it to a Stanford player in '12. I think it was Curtis McNeal.
(09-04-2016, 08:50 AM)jeboody link Wrote:I agree. I especially don't think Stanford calling US C spoiled makes much sense.

It's tradition. Stanford students referred to Southern Cal as "University of Spoiled Children" before I arrived on campus. We viewed Southern Cal as a school populated by kids who's parents could pay but who were too lazy to get into a school actually worth the money. Back in my day, UC schools were properly funded and we saw them as better schools than Southern Cal. Why would anyone go to Southern Cal unless they had money to burn? Rumor has it that Southern Cal has since improved it's academics. I'm skeptical.

Recent behavior by their football team is consistent with "spoiled children."
Second Choice also works for me. It was called that even before I arrived in '81.
USC is good.  I also like using "unsportmanlike" for the "U." 

Unsportsmanlike Shameless Conduct
Unsportsmanlike Shameful College
(09-04-2016, 03:42 PM)JJJ link Wrote:Second Choice also works for me. It was called that even before I arrived in '81.

Is it really second?  I would say that it's much further down the line.
I'm biased, but I still love the Trojans substitution.
I swear like a sailor so you don't want to know what came to my mind first when I read the OP. Would likely get me banned from the board  ;)

By way of work I deal with a lot of high net worth individuals from SoCal -- a bunch of them are USC grads. I usually mock them by referring to their school as the University of South Central LA.

Yeah, I like University of South Central. Understated but appropriately dismissive.
(09-04-2016, 06:19 AM)OutsiderFan link Wrote:Can this board PLEASE do away with "Unbelievably Spoiled Children" as its University of Shamed Coaches edit?  It's such an impossibly lame term, and doesn't even use words associated with trash talk in sports.  Who uses "spoiled" when talking smack about another team?

"Under Stanford Control" is a far, far, superior term, and as I have said before, they hate nothing more than being called "Southern ןɐɔ" (for obvious reasons), so why not use the term they themselves hate the most?

"Under Stanford Control" or "Southern ןɐɔ" should be the auto edit for University of Shamed Coaches.  Anyone else agree?

I'm still partial to my son's moniker: University of Seventeenth Choice.
(09-04-2016, 05:31 PM)washingtonismoney link Wrote:I'm biased, but I still love the Literature's Most Famous Losers substitution.

Ditto!
Pages: 1 2 3