The CardBoard

Full Version: WBB: Women's Basketball Updated Recruiting 2019-2023, April 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Having been driving to Oregon now for 15 years and never knew this about plates. Now you tell me. LOL

Plus no hay fever, of course the rain probably washed it away. :)
From my experience, the California hatred thing was more of an 80s/90s trope (and a super exaggerated one at that); these days half the state population originates from California, so a lot of Hatfields have since become McCoys.
(07-07-2019, 07:03 PM)2006alum Wrote: [ -> ]From my experience, the California hatred thing was more of an 80s/90s trope (and a super exaggerated one at that); these days half the state population originates from California, so a lot of Hatfields have since become McCoys.

Bob, did you ever learn why Oregon lost four players to transfer in one year?  Seems like it had to be more than coincidence.  Just lack of playing time?
Some but water over the damn.
Did they miss any? Seems not.
Would three of the four have played much ? No

Change of the subject you know cal has lost three and this before Charmin hired

USC lost 4 -5 I’ll look again and one is at Oregon.
(07-08-2019, 07:32 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Some but water over the damn.  
Did they miss any?   Seems not.  
Would three of the four have played much ? No
I'm sure that is true, and no the loss of the 4 did not hurt their win/loss record.  I am more interested in what the loss of 4 players in one year says about whether Oregon really makes 4 year commitments to its players.  Before we extol too highly Oregon's recruiting I'd like to know if it was enabled by a ruthless "culling" of its team.   The fact that 3/4 of the departing Oregon players would not have contributed very much simply raises my suspicions more about the circumstances of their departure.  I've been a long time advocate of four year scholarships for this very reason.

A Stanford recruit is going to leave with a degree from a fabulous university even if they almost never get on the court.  I'm thinking of Grace Mashore, Tess Picknell, and more recently Mikaela Brewer (who could conceivably still get some playing time as a senior next year.)  For that matter, Ally Beebe graduated too, although I don't know how her education was funded after her injury cut short her basketball career.
(07-09-2019, 07:20 AM)81alum Wrote: [ -> ]The fact that 3/4 of the departing Oregon players would not have contributed very much simply raises my suspicions more about the circumstances of their departure.  I've been a long time advocate of four year scholarships for this very reason.

Unfortunately, the four year guaranteed scholarship as currently operated doesn't do much to address this situation. College coaches have an array of levers to make kids "voluntarily" decide to give up their scholarships, mostly to transfer but sometimes just to quit. The guaranteed scholarship ends under that situation.

Personally, in head-count sports, I would like to see that once any scholarship starts it cannot be awarded to another player for four years (or pro-rated if the scholarship is given to a non-frosh). That would entirely switch the motivation for coaches, which would now be to keep the kid in the program.

It's possible that's too far, I haven't thought through all the consequences, but it would take something like that to stop the various forms of running less productive kids off.

[And in no way do I know that is what happened at Oregon. This was a general comment, not specific to their case. ]
Injured Stanford players continue on a medical scholarship

Stanford and the Pac 12 guarantee all 4 years.

Ionescu graduated in three years now in Grad school.
(07-09-2019, 08:56 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Injured Stanford players continue on a medical scholarship

Stanford and the Pac 12 guarantee all 4 years.    

Ionescu graduated in three years now in Grad school.
So all four of the Oregon refugees could have stayed to graduate.  I guess that is another difference with Stanford.  If you are not playing much basketball at Stanford, you still have a strong motivation to get the Stanford degree.  Other than transferring to the Ivy I can't see many Stanford WBB players giving up the degree here for a little more playing time somewhere else.  But if you are not playing much basketball at Oregon, you might prefer Cal Poly (Campisano), Boise State (McGwire), going to a club in Spain (Ayuso) or TCU (Maley).  How many bench players at Stanford have departed before graduation to play for places like those?

I am not saying that those four kids made bad decisions, nor am I saying that they would necessarily have had great careers at Oregon.  Nor do I know that the four were eased out.  Maybe all it says is that an Oregon degree is not much better than a degree from anywhere else.  But I do have to wonder about 4 in one year.
Totally down for this conversation, but may I suggest we move to a new thread where we can dissect recruiting and transfers for other schools? I think we're now a page into posts about Oregon and Oregon State players, and I keep seeing new activity in this thread and thinking I'm going to click and see some good news about our recruits! ;)
(07-09-2019, 04:23 PM)2006alum Wrote: [ -> ]Totally down for this conversation, but may I suggest we move to a new thread where we can dissect recruiting and transfers for other schools? I think we're now a page into posts about Oregon and Oregon State players, and I keep seeing new activity in this thread and thinking I'm going to click and see some good news about our recruits! ;)

Totally agreed! Every time I see this thread updated, I get very excited and think it's news on a commitment or at least development on recruiting choices, when it's just an opinion on the merits of living in Eugene, Oregon. :)
At a tournament that just ended Stanford watched Miles. The #2 for 2021

There :)
Azzi Fudd is the BEST High School Women's Basketball player in the country... as a SOPHOMORE. The only sophomore to be selected Gatorade National Player of the Year. She'll be in Oakland this August for Steph Curry's camp.

Azzi Fudd: Think ACL surgery will keep me away from Steph Curry's camp?
Will that affect our ability to recruit Rice?  Or does having her aunt help?

BC
Rice visited this past season. I’m sure aunt and parents will help.
(07-29-2019, 07:51 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Another offer.  A 2022

https://mobile.twitter.com/timea_gardine...6873107457
Wow!  The number 5, although it is very early.  A 6'2" forward, who might yet grow.  If she accepts that would be a top 5 recruit every year for 4 years.  

The coaches are making it look easy, and yet it seemed anything but easy during the years after Chiney.  Any insight, Bob, into what has changed?  Are our newest coaches just fabulous recruiters?  Does successful recruiting beget more successful recruiting?  Did high school girls basketball players just suddenly get more Stanford ready?
Obviously great athletes with great grades and a desire to get better athletically and academically

Also the rankings you read aren’t Tara and staff. Is Belibi really # 19. Three national teams three golds. Sure that’s obviously now.

Another of immense proportions reason is whoops open board.
But we see the future
https://twitter.com/skinshoops86/status/...29921?s=21

A Crystal Ball for Gardiner to Stanford
(08-06-2019, 09:41 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/skinshoops86/status/...29921?s=21

A Crystal Ball for Gardiner to Stanford

Lindy La Rocque is now following 2022 #1 recruit Lauren Betts.  And check out how Lauren Betts replied to Timea Gardiner's news that she got a Stanford offer "Yessss I’m so proud of you!!!!".  Hopefully both young ladies end up at Stanford.  That would be quite a front court in 2022.  Likely Belibi and Brink with Jones at the 3.  Prechtel, Betts and Gardiner backing up the frontcourt players and Demetre backing up Jones.  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39