The CardBoard

Full Version: WBB: Women's Basketball Updated Recruiting 2019-2023, April 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
(08-06-2019, 01:32 PM)BosCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-06-2019, 09:41 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]https://twitter.com/skinshoops86/status/...29921?s=21

A Crystal Ball for Gardiner to Stanford

Lindy La Rocque is now following 2022 #1 recruit Lauren Betts.  And check out how Lauren Betts replied to Timea Gardiner's news that she got a Stanford offer "Yessss I’m so proud of you!!!!".  Hopefully both young ladies end up at Stanford.  That would be quite a front court in 2022.  Likely Belibi and Brink with Jones at the 3.  Prechtel, Betts and Gardiner backing up the frontcourt players and Demetre backing up Jones.  

Added Betts.
Can we just go ahead and declare this Tara’s best recruiting stretch ever — with the potential for significant upside out at least through the class of 2022? [EDITED: Meant to say through 2020]
(08-07-2019, 12:34 AM)bl82 Wrote: [ -> ]Can we just go ahead and declare this Tara’s best recruiting stretch ever — with the potential for significant upside out at least through the class of 2020?

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1]
(08-07-2019, 12:34 AM)bl82 Wrote: [ -> ]Can we just go ahead and declare this Tara’s best recruiting stretch ever — with the potential for significant upside out at least through the class of 2020?

it looks good, but we've had some good stretches in the past: candice, jayne, and kayla made a rather powerful team. nneka and chiney were a dominant pair of recruits - certainly our best players in the wnba.

we likely have are largest number of all-americans, but will we have 3 top 5 recruits together, or even 3 top-10 - which we may need for a national championship?
First we need to fill 2020, then those others in 2021-2 and then watch Tara perform her magic.
(08-07-2019, 09:10 AM)jonnyss Wrote: [ -> ]

it looks good, but we've had some good stretches in the past: candice, jayne, and kayla made a rather powerful team. nneka and chiney were a dominant pair of recruits - certainly our best players in the wnba.

we likely have are largest number of all-americans, but will we have 3 top 5 recruits together, or even 3 top-10 - which we may need for a national championship?

Yes we will have that many top recruits!

2020-2021 (3 top 10)
- Sr Williams (#8)
- So Jones (#1)
- Fr Brink (#3)

2021-2022 (3 top 5)
- Jr Jones (#1)
- So Brink (#3)
- Fr Demetre (#4)

2022-2023 (3 top 5, could rather easily be 4 top 5 and 5 top 10)
- Sr Jones (#1)
- Jr Brink (#3)
- So Demetre (#4)
- Maybe Fr Gardiner (#5)
- Maybe Fr Rice (#6)
I am definitely very cautiously optimistic, but I'm not the type to count chickens before they hatch. I agree that this is definitely Tara's best recruiting swing since the Wiggins-Appel-Pederson-Ogwumike x2 stretch from the mid 2000s to early 2010s.

But with that said... let's wait and see how everyone settles in. I am a little skeptical as to whether Brink and Demetre will remain ranked as high as they presently are when everything shakes out, based on what I've seen from their play and others in their year. At one point Brink was No. 1 in her year, then slipped to No. 2, and now No. 3. Based on what I've seen of her play and others in her year from Team USA games, etc, I would not be surprised if she lands more in the low (5-10) top ten when it all shakes out. Still a top recruit, but I don't think she'll be transformational the way Bueckers will be for UConn (who, unfortunately, really looks like the next coming of Diana Taurasi).

And just remember, for every Appel we've had, we've had a Michelle Harrison, for every Wiggins a Cissy Pierce - very highly ranked recruits who didn't have much impact at the college level. Anyone remember a single highlight moment from Ashley Cimino, the McD's A-A back in 2007? And recall that Kailee Johnson was once one of the top 3 (and I think at one point early on in her sophomore year #1) ranked recruits, and she wasn't even the best "Johnson, K.," on the floor from the minute her much-less-regarded name twin Kaylee Johnson stepped foot on the Farm.

But that also means we can get pleasant surprises the other direction. Would anyone have thought it'd be Lacie Hull who'd be the starter among our three frosh last season? Does anyone think Carrington isn't a top 20 player in her class (she was 34th)? Both Brittany McPhee and Alanna Smith stepped up in ways that their recruiting profiles would not have suggested.

In the end, for me, the rankings matter less once we can see firsthand how they play against D1 level competition, and in that regard, I'd put Belibi above Brink in terms of who is likely to have an immediate impact at Stanford. Entirely independent of her dunks, if she were a stock, I'd buy long, long, long. She will do big things on the Farm, whatever her recruiting rank.
(08-07-2019, 11:04 AM)2006alum Wrote: [ -> ]I am definitely very cautiously optimistic, but I'm not the type to count chickens before they hatch. I agree that this is definitely Tara's best recruiting swing since the Wiggins-Appel-Pederson-Ogwumike x2 stretch from the mid 2000s to early 2010s.

But with that said... let's wait and see how everyone settles in. I am a little skeptical as to whether Brink and Demetre will remain ranked as high as they presently are when everything shakes out, based on what I've seen from their play and others in their year. At one point Brink was No. 1 in her year, then slipped to No. 2, and now No. 3. Based on what I've seen of her play and others in her year from Team USA games, etc, I would not be surprised if she lands more in the low (5-10) top ten when it all shakes out. Still a top recruit, but I don't think she'll be transformational the way Bueckers will be for UConn (who, unfortunately, really looks like the next coming of Diana Taurasi).

And just remember, for every Appel we've had, we've had a Michelle Harrison, for every Wiggins a Cissy Pierce - very highly ranked recruits who didn't have much impact at the college level. Anyone remember a single highlight moment from Ashley Cimino, the McD's A-A back in 2007? And recall that Kailee Johnson was once one of the top 3 (and I think at one point early on in her sophomore year #1) ranked recruits, and she wasn't even the best "Johnson, K.," on the floor from the minute her much-less-regarded name twin Kaylee Johnson stepped foot on the Farm.

But that also means we can get pleasant surprises the other direction. Would anyone have thought it'd be Lacie Hull who'd be the starter among our three frosh last season? Does anyone think Carrington isn't a top 20 player in her class (she was 34th)? Both Brittany McPhee and Alanna Smith stepped up in ways that their recruiting profiles would not have suggested.

In the end, for me, the rankings matter less once we can see firsthand how they play against D1 level competition, and in that regard, I'd put Belibi above Brink in terms of who is likely to have an immediate impact at Stanford. Entirely independent of her dunks, if she were a stock, I'd buy long, long, long. She will do big things on the Farm, whatever her recruiting rank.

I agree with 2006alum that rankings can certainly change and Kailee Johnson is a good example as her ranking slid to around #20 her senior year of high school.  However, I would argue that a top 5 ranked player is very different than a top 25-30 ranked player.  Jones, Brink and Demetre are all currently ranked in the top 5 of their classes.  Michelle Harrison, Cissy Pierce and Ashley Cimino were all 25-30 ish ranked players and I would say the expectations for players ranked in that range (as a high school senior) is very different than a player who is top 5.  And I believe Demetre's ranking has been increasing.  And while Brink did not get a ton of playing time on the u19, she was one of the younger post players on the team whereas most of her 2020 peers were guards where there weren't that many 2018 or 2019 players ahead of them on the team.
I saw Kailee Johnson play three travel games after her Jr HS year. Thought she would be a of immense proportions success. However school interferred. It happens and she chose her path. Something to always keep in mind.
(08-07-2019, 03:52 PM)BosCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2019, 11:04 AM)2006alum Wrote: [ -> ]I am definitely very cautiously optimistic, but I'm not the type to count chickens before they hatch. I agree that this is definitely Tara's best recruiting swing since the Wiggins-Appel-Pederson-Ogwumike x2 stretch from the mid 2000s to early 2010s.

I agree with 2006alum that rankings can certainly change and Kailee Johnson is a good example as her ranking slid to around #20 her senior year of high school.  However, I would argue that a top 5 ranked player is very different than a top 25-30 ranked player.  Jones, Brink and Demetre are all currently ranked in the top 5 of their classes.  Michelle Harrison, Cissy Pierce and Ashley Cimino were all 25-30 ish ranked players and I would say the expectations for players ranked in that range (as a high school senior) is very different than a player who is top 5.  And I believe Demetre's ranking has been increasing.  And while Brink did not get a ton of playing time on the u19, she was one of the younger post players on the team whereas most of her 2020 peers were guards where there weren't that many 2018 or 2019 players ahead of them on the team.

Totally. W/r/t Brink, I just didn't see much from the times I've seen her play with the US team last year and this year to suggest she'd be what I think of as a consensus top 5 recruit. I would love to be surprised, and her game may very well grow. But IMHO Bueckers, Van Lith, and Clark (to some degree) all seemed to impact the game much more than Brink in the most recent U18. The question mark for me with Demetre is that she hasn't made any of the U1X national teams and players ranked considerably below her in the ESPNW have, and I've been impressed by her highlights tapes but not floored the way, say, Belibi and Jones both were clearly standouts even two years ago. (And maybe just color me the cautiously optimistic type.)

(08-07-2019, 04:22 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]I saw Kailee Johnson play three travel games after her Jr HS year.   Thought she would be a of immense proportions success.    However school interferred.   It happens and she chose her path.      Something to always keep in mind.

Yes, and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, or to imply she didn't choose her own path. All I meant is that we've had "consensus" top 5 recruits as of sophomore year in high school (i.e. Demetre now and Brink last year) who walked away from the game before they've even graduated from Stanford, and had limited impact even before that, so I'm hesitant to speculate 4 years out as to who will be our impact players. Which just means that as in life, there are no guarantees, especially for underclassman recruits. If memory serves, Anna Wilson was also, at one point, ranked around the top 10 or 15, and while I love her and she's a clear fan favorite, she was not as much of an impact player as I think we were expecting her to be when she committed (for lots of reasons, including all the da*n injuries.)
Remember Johnson graduated Dec of her Sr year.

Ally Beebe is the poster girl for not making it. ACL as a Jr ACL as a Sr then ACL at Stanford
Crap happens
(08-07-2019, 05:03 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Remember Johnson graduated Dec of her Sr year.  

Ally Beebe is the poster girl for not making it.  ACL as a Jr ACL as a Sr then ACL at Stanford
Crap happens
That was brutal, and she was the highly, highly ranked forward we needed to get us through the post-Ogwumike transition. I really do think her medical retirement changed the course of our seasons between Chiney's senior season and Bird/Karlie/Bri's.
Beebe was a post. 2nd ACL practice high jumping just before SoCal finals. Great athlete

I never saw her play so other than highly rated can’t comment much

you make lots of great points. i heartily agree.

i might add that dijonai was very highly ranked as a hs freshman and sophomore (i don't remember the exactly ranking, but i recall top 10 and maybe top 5) and fell in the rankings only after her 2 knee injuries.

alanna is australian and therefore did not have many eyes on her. espn had her as #60. chris hansen of prospect nation, who actually worked with her at a camp, had her as the #4 recruit in the nation.
(08-07-2019, 06:04 PM)jonnyss Wrote: [ -> ]

you make lots of great points. i heartily agree.

i might add that dijonai was very highly ranked as a hs freshman and sophomore (i don't remember the exactly ranking, but i recall top 10 and maybe top 5) and fell in the rankings only after her 2 knee injuries.

alanna is australian and therefore did not have many eyes on her. espn had her as #60. chris hansen of prospect nation, who actually worked with her at a camp, had her as the #4 recruit in the nation.

Alanna will go down as one of our all-time greats.  And one can argue that she didn't really reach her potential until her last two years.
Just to comment on a few things:
- I think Brink has a really high ceiling, her biggest issue at the moment is her build IMO. She is rail thin, as compared to Belibi who is more solid, and when you're a post, it isn't always easy to compete with other teams bigs when they have 20-30 pounds. What worries me a little bit is that with all of our depth -- she may find herself behind a few players.
- If we could somehow add the trio of Betts, Gardiner, and Rice -- WOW. We have recruited CO really, really well over the past few years, so those connections could carry over (and she plays for the same club team that Prechtel did). I'm guessing we will find ourselves battling UConn, OSU, Oregon, etc. for those recruits, but we've showed we can consistently out recruit them at this point.
- I think rankings sometimes hold on to past rankings. For example Sam Brunelle was #1 for a longtime, and they only dropped her to sixth, but I think she may be closer to the 12-18 range -- certainly behind Belibi.
(08-07-2019, 06:22 PM)CardinalWBBFan Wrote: [ -> ]Just to comment on a few things:
- I think Brink has a really high ceiling, her biggest issue at the moment is her build IMO. She is rail thin, as compared to Belibi who is more solid, and when you're a post, it isn't always easy to compete with other teams bigs when they have 20-30 pounds. What worries me a little bit is that with all of our depth -- she may find herself behind a few players.
- If we could somehow add the trio of Betts, Gardiner, and Rice -- WOW. We have recruited CO really, really well over the past few years, so those connections could carry over (and she plays for the same club team that Prechtel did). I'm guessing we will find ourselves battling UConn, OSU, Oregon, etc. for those recruits, but we've showed we can consistently out recruit them at this point.
- I think rankings sometimes hold on to past rankings. For example Sam Brunelle was #1 for a longtime, and they only dropped her to sixth, but I think she may be closer to the 12-18 range -- certainly behind Belibi.

the McDonald's game and the u-19 worlds showcased these players. brink had super-quick post moves but no position defense, only blocks. and she hardly played in the worlds. she will have to play defense for tara or she will sit.  i am reminded of carolyn moos and chandra benton, who were good, tall players but not the stars we expected. i hope brink will be a star. i'm surprised at your take on brunelle. she is indeed no longer the #1 player in the class but she sure shot lights out from distance in the mcd game - especially for a big player; and she has a handle. seemed to me among the top 5 players in the game. a bit like alanna as a college junior and senior.
(08-07-2019, 04:56 PM)2006alum Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2019, 03:52 PM)BosCard Wrote: [ -> ]

Totally. W/r/t Brink, I just didn't see much from the times I've seen her play with the US team last year and this year to suggest she'd be what I think of as a consensus top 5 recruit. I would love to be surprised, and her game may very well grow. But IMHO Bueckers, Van Lith, and Clark (to some degree) all seemed to impact the game much more than Brink in the most recent U18. The question mark for me with Demetre is that she hasn't made any of the U1X national teams and players ranked considerably below her in the ESPNW have, and I've been impressed by her highlights tapes but not floored the way, say, Belibi and Jones both were clearly standouts even two years ago. (And maybe just color me the cautiously optimistic type.)

(08-07-2019, 04:22 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]I saw Kailee Johnson play three travel games after her Jr HS year.   Thought she would be a of immense proportions success.    However school interferred.   It happens and she chose her path.      Something to always keep in mind.

Yes, and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise, or to imply she didn't choose her own path. All I meant is that we've had "consensus" top 5 recruits as of sophomore year in high school (i.e. Demetre now and Brink last year) who walked away from the game before they've even graduated from Stanford, and had limited impact even before that, so I'm hesitant to speculate 4 years out as to who will be our impact players. Which just means that as in life, there are no guarantees, especially for underclassman recruits. If memory serves, Anna Wilson was also, at one point, ranked around the top 10 or 15, and while I love her and she's a clear fan favorite, she was not as much of an impact player as I think we were expecting her to be when she committed (for lots of reasons, including all the da*n injuries.)

Demetre didn't try out for the u16 team this year.  She might be 17 which would explain why she didn't make it.
(08-07-2019, 10:55 AM)BosCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2019, 09:10 AM)jonnyss Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes we will have that many top recruits!

2020-2021 (3 top 10)
- Sr Williams (#8)
- So Jones (#1)
- Fr Brink (#3)

2021-2022 (3 top 5)
- Jr Jones (#1)
- So Brink (#3)
- Fr Demetre (#4)

2022-2023 (3 top 5, could rather easily be 4 top 5 and 5 top 10)
- Sr Jones (#1)
- Jr Brink (#3)
- So Demetre (#4)
- Maybe Fr Gardiner (#5)
- Maybe Fr Rice (#6)

Maybe Fudd?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39