The CardBoard

Full Version: WBB: Women's Basketball Updated Recruiting 2019-2023, April 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
(06-11-2018, 05:29 PM)TheFarm07 Wrote: [ -> ]On the one hand, it won't be admissions that keeps Haley Jones from coming here.

On the other hand, it won't be admissions that prevents Haley Jones from coming here and we know how much that hurts, as we are not able to bounce back as easily when a top recruit despite gaining admissions, chooses another school (i.e. KLS, Diggins(?)).

Well, as they say, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take; we miss out on 100% of the recruits we don't admit.  It is generally a good sign for a recruit to complete the application, but as you suggested, our track record with recruits who have applied and been admitted in WBB is, sadly, lower than in football, where we can probably count on one hand the number of such cases, despite the much higher denominator.

BC
Yes on Katie Lou and Diggins
(06-11-2018, 07:28 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Yes on Katie Lou and Diggins
And Pivec. I think those are the only three we know by name, right? There might have been one or two earlier on. But so far that sounds like about 1 per 10 years of Tara's recruiting.

However, I have a feeling that Haley Jones will come, for two reasons.  First, SWBB is currently on an upswing and I sense a lot more optimism about the next few years at Stanford than a few short seasons ago.  The talent level is growing markedly.  Second, her father's post makes it pretty clear that the family is VERY excited about her getting into Stanford.  Her father didn't have to post that at all, and while he notes "wherever you end up" there is that "Nerd Nation" thrown in.   It sure sounds like Dad is in our camp.

Of course, I'm biased, and not just because I am a Stanford fan. The risk of career-ending injuries is just too great to set aside a Stanford degree for a marginally better chance of getting a national championship somewhere else. Can you imagine anyone, twenty years after graduation, saying "I sure am glad my teenage self decided to pass up a Stanford education...." Think about Chiney, a #1 draft pick, but missing 2 pro seasons already with injuries. But even if her pro basketball career ends early, her future as a broadcaster or a politician or a lawyer is so much brighter than if she had a degree from a different school.

But even better, it is looking more and more as if an athlete sacrifices nothing by coming to Stanford.

She is smart. And I am an optimist this time :)
I agree with 81alum.  I have a good feeling about Jones becoming a Cardinal.  Plus of the WBB recruits who actually apply and are accepted, the vast majority choose Stanford.  Yes there are a small handful who choose other schools but let's think about the recent players who turned down the all powerful UConn to choose Stanford (C. Ogwumike, McCall, Samuelson #1 and Samuelson #2).  

And back to Jones, for the small number who have turned down a Stanford acceptance and scholarship, none of them ever posted something like this upon being accepted.  In fact the chatter for KLS was that she was independent and wanted to forge her own identity away from her sisters.  The other factor is that Haley's family is local (unlike the Samuelsons who are from SoCal).  Her parents are basketball junkies and probably would love to have the opportunity to see their daughter play in person.
(06-12-2018, 06:59 AM)BosCard Wrote: [ -> ]And back to Jones, for the small number who have turned down a Stanford acceptance and scholarship, none of them ever posted something like this upon being accepted.  In fact the chatter for KLS was that she was independent and wanted to forge her own identity away from her sisters.  The other factor is that Haley's family is local (unlike the Samuelsons who are from SoCal).  Her parents are basketball junkies and probably would love to have the opportunity to see their daughter play in person.

This article about Jones may have been posted when it was published in April - this quote is more reason for optimism:
“I think academics are very important for me and for all women in sports because we do not make as much money as the men do,” Jones said, “and we need to have a good degree so you can do something with it, because basketball doesn’t last forever.”

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/article.../180409724
Basketball junkies?
Haley Jones parents re: watching their two kids play:
If you ever look in the stands and you see Cameron’s dad on his phone the whole game this is why,” Patrick said. “We try and text each other updates every four minutes.”
I'm feeling cautiously optimistic too, for several reasons.

First, I think both KLS and Diggins need asterisks. As others stated, KLS had long expressed a desire to do something different from her sisters, and I can totally see that. I don't remember her making the usual "academics are important too" bromides that a lot of our classic Stanford commits make prior to deciding, either. And Diggins was basically the hometown hero right next door to South Bend - it would be really hard to turn that down when you know your family and friends can watch basically everyone one of your college games. So the only one I think we inexplicably lost was Pivec, and while she was a solid recruit, from what I've seen from her at OSU thus far, I don't feel like she would have been a game changer for us, especially since we're pretty stacked at the 1-2-3 spots as it is.

I was also really really psyched to see this tweet from our 2020 commit Gytenbeek: www.twitter.com/vangytenbeek/status/1001151172663697408

Far left is our recent 2019 commit Bellibi, then Jones, and on the far right side, I believe that's top 2020 recruit Cameron Brink. Gytenbeek also retweeted Jones's dad's Stanford admission tweet. So it seems like they could be establishing a pretty solid bond, and Brink is from Oregon so she wouldn't be far away either. And there's also this statement from Jones:

Quote:Her top priority is finding teammates she can bond with.

Sure seems like that photo suggests she's found a few, two of whom are already headed to the Farm!

Finally, as others said, the same reason we lost Diggins is the reason I think we should be a top contender for Jones -- her parents are less than an hour away from Stanford and could see every one of her home games for 4 years. Given how involved her father is, I have to imagine that would be a compelling draw.

So: fingers crossed. If the cards fall as we're hoping, we could be in for two really outstanding classes to come to solidify our big hauls last year and this year.
(06-12-2018, 10:28 AM)2006alum Wrote: [ -> ]I'm feeling cautiously optimistic too, for several reasons.

First, I think both KLS and Diggins need asterisks. As others stated, KLS had long expressed a desire to do something different from her sisters, and I can totally see that. I don't remember her making the usual "academics are important too" bromides that a lot of our classic Stanford commits make prior to deciding, either. And Diggins was basically the hometown hero right next door to South Bend - it would be really hard to turn that down when you know your family and friends can watch basically everyone one of your college games. So the only one I think we inexplicably lost was Pivec, and while she was a solid recruit, from what I've seen from her at OSU thus far, I don't feel like she would have been a game changer for us, especially since we're pretty stacked at the 1-2-3 spots as it is.

I was also really really psyched to see this tweet from our 2020 commit Gytenbeek: www.twitter.com/vangytenbeek/status/1001151172663697408

Far left is our recent 2019 commit Bellibi, then Jones, and on the far right side, I believe that's top 2020 recruit Cameron Brink. Gytenbeek also retweeted Jones's dad's Stanford admission tweet. So it seems like they could be establishing a pretty solid bond, and Brink is from Oregon so she wouldn't be far away either. And there's also this statement from Jones:

Quote:Her top priority is finding teammates she can bond with.

Sure seems like that photo suggests she's found a few, two of whom are already headed to the Farm!

Finally, as others said, the same reason we lost Diggins is the reason I think we should be a top contender for Jones -- her parents are less than an hour away from Stanford and could see every one of her home games for 4 years. Given how involved her father is, I have to imagine that would be a compelling draw.

So: fingers crossed. If the cards fall as we're hoping, we could be in for two really outstanding classes to come to solidify our big hauls last year and this year.

Here's hoping.  I would really like to see a wildly successful recruiting season or two.  Tara deserves it.  Frankly, I think recruiting is far more stressful than the regular season.
Brink Jones  and Jump all play on the sane travel team. FYI
(06-12-2018, 12:54 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Brink Jones  and Jump all play on the sane travel team. FYI

I'm glad they're on the sane travel team. Sanity is an important quality for a Stanford basketball player!  :-)
(06-12-2018, 12:54 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Brink Jones  and Jump all play on the sane travel team. FYI

I would venture that such a team, were it to play in college, would have a decent chance of being a top-25 team.

BC

PS... Bob, commas are your friend. I thought Brink Jones was the name of a single player.
Prospects Nation just came out with their new 2020 rankings and Stanford commit Jana Van Gytenbeek is #29.  As far as I know the first time she has received a national ranking.
Plus we are in play for 3 of the top 5 and 7 of the top 18
(07-05-2018, 08:59 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Plus we are in play for 3 of the top 5 and 7 of the top 18
OK, we start with Prechtel, Belibi, and Jump.  All three look like great kids and fine basketball prospects, but none of them make the top 5 on either PN or ESPN.

For the final slot, we are in play for Jones and Amihere from the top five, but who is the third you mentioned?  Brunelle and Owusu have committed, so that would leave Kierstan Bell, whose name I don't recognize?  Or if you are using PN instead of ESPN, the other top five are Horsten and Jackson--also names I have not heard discussed.  So there seems to be a mystery player!

And for the 7 I am at a loss.  Belibi makes it into the top 18 on PN, and Kennedy Leonard on ESPN.  Add Amihere and Jones and I am still 3 prospects short of figuring out your 7 from the top 18 we are still considering.

This is better than your Giants trivia puzzles!
81Alum, are you looking at the 2020 list?  Bob said, "Prospects Nation just came out with their new 2020 rankings . . . "

https://prospectsnation.com/players/ranked/2020
We were discussing 2020 ole 81.  Lol

We don’t seem to be in play for Amihere.   Hope you catch that one ?

Trivia name a former Stanford WBB player who ran for governor of California in June. Yes better known for softball
(07-06-2018, 07:59 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]We were discussing 2020 ole 81.  Lol

We don’t seem to be in play for Amihere.   Hope you catch that one ?

Trivia name a former Stanford WBB player who ran for governor of California in June. Yes better known for softball

Well that one I can get, at least.  Amanda Renteria.  She was even a Poli Sci major.  Worked for DiFi for a while.

Thanks for straightening me out on 2020 :)
81 is back in his grove.  

Now on to 2020 recruiting while we wait and it may be months, for Jones
Agreed that we haven't had a consensus top 3 player since Chiney and we know what kind of an impact Chiney had on the program.  But we are getting some really good recruits at the top 10-ish level and we haven't had a lot of those in the past either.  Jenna Brown was a Naismith first-team all american (meaning according to that group she was a top 5 player) and a 2-time USA basketball team member.  In the recently updated Bluestar rankings, Fran Belibi is ranked #10 and is also a 2-time USA basketball team member.  Plus as Bob said, we are still in the mix for top players, Jones in '19 and Bueckers, Brink and Clark in '20.
(07-06-2018, 07:59 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]We don’t seem to be in play for Amihere.   Hope you catch that one ?

In other words, Amihere wontbehere.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39