The CardBoard

Full Version: WBB: Women's Basketball Updated Recruiting 2019-2023, April 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Updated with the new names and visits
That's a long list of 2021's.  I assume we are aiming to fill five scholarships?  Any thoughts on who are the highest priorities for the other four spots (I assume one is Citron, since we know she has an offer)?  Would it be fair to say the other visitors: Von Oelhoffen, Miles, Kampschroeder, Harrriel, Darius, Akunwafo, Iriafen would follow in the next tier?  What about Fudd, who I know was one of the early players who we showed interest in, but has not visited yet (right)?

Thanks
BC
(12-03-2019, 10:48 AM)BosCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2019, 09:47 AM)mbdude Wrote: [ -> ]Watching video of Van Gytenbeek she reminds me of Van Lith - imho she will do well at Stanford

Tara said she thought Van Gytenbeek was the best PG in the 2020 class.  This class is heavy in great PG's including Bueckers (#1), Clark (#4) and Andrews (#7).  Even if Tara meant one of the best or on the same level as the other highly-ranked PG's then we are getting a very very good player.

I guess my skepticism with those claims is that if she is as good as the most prominent PGs in her class, why hasn't she been competitive for U17/18 type teams? I've had the chance to see Bueckers, Clark, and Van Lith a bunch from junior international play, but I don't think Van Gytenbeek was even in the final pool group for those teams. And her other finalist schools were not exactly basketball's A-list: Colorado St., Iowa St., Clemson, and Kansas State. 

Believe me, I'd love for it to be so, but I guess I haven't seen much objective evidence as of now. Hopefully she qualifies for the McD's and Jordan Brand Classic so we can get a preview of coming attractions and assess for ourselves!

Perhaps it's simply the recency effect of Williams going down and our offense collapsing, but I'm pretty anxious about landing a top PG for post-2021...
(12-03-2019, 11:10 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Updated with the new names and visits
akunwafo gets an all caps rating.   ;   ^   )
Cut and paste jonnyss

Jana committed to Stanford almost 2 years ago, Jan 2018. Hard to get lots of great offers after she committed to Stanford.
Lot of Wings among those who listed. Could make it challenging for them - since our first commitment already is a Wing. Would be great to get a class of 5 with a P, a F, a Wing and 2 Guards but who knows - just glad that many have mutual interest and hopefully high probability of being admitted! Wishing them all and Stanford well!
(12-03-2019, 01:17 PM)Jskass Wrote: [ -> ]Lot of Wings among those who listed. Could make it challenging for them - since our first commitment already is a Wing. Would be great to get a class of 5 with a P, a F, a Wing and 2 Guards but who knows - just glad that many have mutual interest and hopefully high probability of being admitted! Wishing them all and Stanford well!

There are a number of articles that describe Demetre as a forward.  Or more likely she is a positionless player like Haley Jones and could see time at the 4 position.  I think it's possible that our recruiting class ends up being Demetre, 1 post or forward and 3 guard/wings who can all play the 2 or 3 position.  There are just so many talented guard/wings in the 2021 class who also are interested in us (Fudd, Verhulst, Kampschroeder, Von Oelhofen, Citron, Ducharme, Darius, Harriel) that I am guessing we take a lot of them.
(12-03-2019, 04:07 PM)BosCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2019, 01:17 PM)Jskass Wrote: [ -> ]Lot of Wings among those who listed. Could make it challenging for them - since our first commitment already is a Wing. Would be great to get a class of 5 with a P, a F, a Wing and 2 Guards but who knows - just glad that many have mutual interest and hopefully high probability of being admitted! Wishing them all and Stanford well!

There are a number of articles that describe Demetre as a forward.  Or more likely she is a positionless player like Haley Jones and could see time at the 4 position.  I think it's possible that our recruiting class ends up being Demetre, 1 post or forward and 3 guard/wings who can all play the 2 or 3 position.  There are just so many talented guard/wings in the 2021 class who also are interested in us (Fudd, Verhulst, Kampschroeder, Von Oelhofen, Citron, Ducharme, Darius, Harriel) that I am guessing we take a lot of them.

Sounds great! Thank you for sharing your insights.
a wild guess based on no info whatsoever:

demetre, citron, kampschroeder, iriafen, and (i hope i hope) fudd or miles. if not fudd or miles, then harriel.
No Guesses who might cone but I’ll be at Harriel’s game next week and a friend at Talia Von O game this Friday.

Having watched Demetre 6-7 tunes she’s a 2-3-4. Can’t see her at Point but she is so smooth and in control.
(12-03-2019, 06:35 PM)jonnyss Wrote: [ -> ]a wild guess based on no info whatsoever:

demetre, citron, kampschroeder, iriafen, and (i hope i hope) fudd or miles. if not fudd or miles, then harriel.

My guess based also on absolutely no information is:

Demetre, Miles, Citron, Verhulst and Akunwafo
(12-03-2019, 08:46 PM)BosCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2019, 06:35 PM)jonnyss Wrote: [ -> ]a wild guess based on no info whatsoever:

My guess based also on absolutely no information is:

Demetre, Miles, Citron, Verhulst and Akunwafo

Any updates on whether Fudd is still considering us? I know she had an ACL and MCL tear earlier this year and will be missing most, if not all her junior year. I know she is extremely highly regarded, already winning Gatorade National POY as a sophomore.
A story on Fudd yesterday but didn’t mentioned schools. She did say mostly A’s a couple of B’s
Coaches were at Talia von Oelhoffen's debut game at Chiawana. She scored 23 points. 

She is playing much tougher competition than the past two seasons.
Could she be like Madison Haley of soccer? Scorer, leader and physically tough (daughter of pro football player)? Interesting that there are so many contenders for the 4 remaining slots!
(12-04-2019, 09:21 AM)Jskass Wrote: [ -> ]Could she be like Madison Haley of soccer? Scorer, leader and physically tough (daughter of pro football player)? Interesting that there are so many contenders for the 4 remaining slots!

I read on another board that Von Oelhoffen could be a 1/2 combo guard who could handle point responsibilities as well.  If so, then that makes her a little different than some of the 2/3's we are recruiting in 2021 as well.  She appears to be very strong and finishes drives through contact very well.  Best case scenario comparison might be Amber Melgoza (Washington), Mikayla Pivec (Oregon St) or even maybe Sabrina Ionescu (Oregon).
(12-03-2019, 09:47 AM)mbdude Wrote: [ -> ]Watching video of Van Gytenbeek she reminds me of Van Lith - imho she will do well at Stanford

Tara said she thought Van Gytenbeek was the best PG in the 2020 class.  This class is heavy in great PG's including Bueckers (#1), Clark (#4) and Andrews (#7).  Even if Tara meant one of the best or on the same level as the other highly-ranked PG's then we are getting a very very good player.

Could Tara have meant that Van Gytenbeek was the best PG purely on terms of the position's definitional role (excellent conductor of the offense, dishes out assists with regularity)? Perhaps the other more highly regarded PGs have more complete games and can generate more offense on their own.
(12-04-2019, 11:59 AM)TheFarm07 Wrote: [ -> ]

Could Tara have meant that Van Gytenbeek was the best PG purely on terms of the position's definitional role (excellent conductor of the offense, dishes out assists with regularity)? Perhaps the other more highly regarded PGs have more complete games and can generate more offense on their own.

Does she have a 3-pt shot?  The limited writeups I've seen mention her mid-range shooting but these days a PG needs to be able to take the three.  Sniezek had nice distribution skills and could drive, but her hesitancy to shoot really hurt the offense IMHO.
high school 3 pt shooting year by year. has improved year to year. I don't think 3 pt shooting was what her team needed her to do

18-19 Junior 28g 48/121 40%
17-18           22g 46/127 36%
16-17           27g 45/135  33%
von Oelhoffen is a really good distributor. She has a really strong frame too. 

Could be similar to Pivec (who is second in the Pac-12 in assists while playing the “3” at OSU which is impressive) who is more of a playmaking guard than a PG, but can play the one. Similar to the role Jones plays. She has a unique game.

Verhulst reminds me of the Hulls at 6-1 with her quickness and athleticism. Explosive, skilled, and size makes for a great player. She has a beautiful mid range game. USA FIBA U16 MVP. 

Speaking of USA youth experience:

- Kiana Williams was cut three times, in 2014 (U17), 2015 (U16), and 2016 (U17). She finally made a USA cut this summer at the Pan-Am trials.
- I don’t believe the Hulls have any USA Basketball experience. To my knowledge they’ve never attended the trials.
- I believe Haley Jones was cut four times - 2015 (U16), 2016 (U17), 2017 (U16), and 2019 (U19). She made the U17 team in 2018.
- Jenna Brown made two teams (U18 in 2018 and U17 in 2016) and was cut twice (U16 in 2015 and U19 in 2019).
- Belibi has made the team in all three of her attempts, winning gold with U16 in 2017, U17 in 2018, and U19 in 2019.
- Wilson made one team (U17 in 2014) and was cut once (U16 in 2013).
- Fingall was cut in her only two trials (U18 in 2016 and U17 in 2014).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39