The CardBoard

Full Version: WBB: Women's Basketball Updated Recruiting 2019-2023, April 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
(12-04-2019, 12:31 PM)qwerty49 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-04-2019, 11:59 AM)TheFarm07 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2019, 10:48 AM)BosCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2019, 09:47 AM)mbdude Wrote: [ -> ]Watching video of Van Gytenbeek she reminds me of Van Lith - imho she will do well at Stanford

Tara said she thought Van Gytenbeek was the best PG in the 2020 class.  This class is heavy in great PG's including Bueckers (#1), Clark (#4) and Andrews (#7).  Even if Tara meant one of the best or on the same level as the other highly-ranked PG's then we are getting a very very good player.

Could Tara have meant that Van Gytenbeek was the best PG purely on terms of the position's definitional role (excellent conductor of the offense, dishes out assists with regularity)? Perhaps the other more highly regarded PGs have more complete games and can generate more offense on their own.

Does she have a 3-pt shot?  The limited writeups I've seen mention her mid-range shooting but these days a PG needs to be able to take the three.  Sniezek had nice distribution skills and could drive, but her hesitancy to shoot really hurt the offense IMHO.

Tara tends to be quite candid and straightforward when describing recruits.  

Here is Tara describing recruit Sniezek, "She's physical and is also a soccer All-American so she is very athletic. She is heady and, more than anything, is extremely competitive."  Lots of leadership/toughness attributes but nothing about shooting which is the kind of player she was at Stanford (and appears to be at Notre Dame).

Here is Tara describing recruit Van Gytenbeek, "She's vocal, has a high basketball IQ and is an excellent passer and shooter."  Sounds similar to Sniezek but with a particular call out on shooting.  I am taking that as a very good sign of her shooting ability.
Jana’s HS three point shooting stats are very good.

WBBfan that’s an awesome post on national teams and Stanford players. Really appreciate
(12-04-2019, 05:53 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Jana’s  HS three point shooting stats are very good. 

WBBfan that’s an awesome post on national teams and Stanford players.  Really appreciate

From what I've seen on video, Van Gytenbeek looks to me like Jamila Wideman: similar size, high energy, constant movement, very good handle, prefers to drive, distributes well but forces it sometimes, 3 point shot is a little loose, and she isn't always centered when she shoots, likes the mid-range pull up a lot. She would have been great to have on the floor for the last 5 minutes of the Mississippi State game.

Someone compared her to Van Lith. I'm not convinced that's the greatest comp for her. Van Lith has a better outside shot, creates a bit more off the dribble, much feistier, but also requires a lot of touches. Van Gytenbeek looks much more like a classic mid-90's Vanderveer point guard. More willing to run the offense, pass and cut, and move off-ball. From the storied history of Vanderveer point guards, I think she's most similar to Wideman and Milena Flores.
(12-04-2019, 11:08 PM)triangle2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-04-2019, 05:53 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Jana’s  HS three point shooting stats are very good. 

WBBfan that’s an awesome post on national teams and Stanford players.  Really appreciate

From what I've seen on video, Van Gytenbeek looks to me like Jamila Wideman: similar size, high energy, constant movement, very good handle, prefers to drive, distributes well but forces it sometimes, 3 point shot is a little loose, and she isn't always centered when she shoots, likes the mid-range pull up a lot. She would have been great to have on the floor for the last 5 minutes of the Mississippi State game.

Someone compared her to Van Lith. I'm not convinced that's the greatest comp for her. Van Lith has a better outside shot, creates a bit more off the dribble, much feistier, but also requires a lot of touches. Van Gytenbeek looks much more like a classic mid-90's Vanderveer point guard. More willing to run the offense, pass and cut, and move off-ball. From the storied history of Vanderveer point guards, I think she's most similar to Wideman and Milena Flores.
I wish I remembered our point guards from the 90s better!  But your analysis is welcome and makes me impatient to see her in action for us next year.
This is from 2 years ago:
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8840672/592...1e24ee658d
Here she makes the game winning clutch shot just last spring:

Maxpreps has also posted highlights from most of her games last spring like this one:
https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jana-va...43a1627aa2
As a junior, her 3 point % was 40% and she had a 2.17 assist to turnover ratio.
We could do a lot worse than a Jamila Wideman.  Since I wasn't around for the Azzi years, Wideman is the favorite of my Stanford WBB point guards.  My second favorite point was Nicole Powell.

BC
https://mobile.twitter.com/raoul_000/sta...6368772098

Kampschroeder down to three including Stanford
Bob, any more info on if we are recruiting Rayah Marshall (6'3" guard from So Cal ranked #14 in HoopGurlz)?  Here is an article from the Long Beach Press Telegram:

Press-Telegram high school girls basketball preview for the 2019-20 season:
[b]TOP 5 PLAYERS TO WATCH[/b]
[b]Rayah Marshall, Lynwood[/b]
The junior point guard is a matchup nightmare for every foe: A phenomenally talented player with a never-ending skill set who creates, scores, rebounds and starts the transition better than, well, everyone else on the floor. Oh, and she’s closing in on 6-foot-4. Marshall was an All-CIF Southern Section pick and the Press-Telegram’s Dream Team Player of the Year last year after pouring in 20.6 points and grabbing 12 boards a game. Head coach Ellis Barfield calls her an “old-school player,” one possessing off-the-charts drive and versatility. And, on occasion, she dunks. She might be the best player in Southern California. Every big-time program, from Connecticut to Stanford, is angling for her signature.
Wow once again you’re first with a potential No I didn’t know about her

I did see Harriel play the other night. But her team lead 55-10 at the half so no clue on her. Harriel looks the part but the other team was so very bad

Maybe some of the Californians make the state on Sacramento. I’ll be there
Quote:Marshall is the primary weapon, of course. She averaged a double-double as a freshman and was an All-CIF pick last season after averaging 20.6 points, 12 rebounds, 3.5 blocks, 3.3 steals and 2.2 assists.

She’s got a center’s size — and is still growing — but impeccably runs the court for the Knights. She’s a matchup nightmare.

“She’s got an all-around game, an all-around skill set, very versatile, and I can play her at multiple positions,” Barfield said. “[What makes her special is] her work ethic. Just her love for the game. She’s one of those old-school players that actually studies the game. [She has the] drive and effort to be the best, and she loves to take on challenges.

“I love her approach to the game. She’s a pleasure to coach, fun to watch, a real competitor … all the things that you like, that’s good for the game.”
Marshall, who is being recruited by top college programs across the country, says she’s a “better all-around player” since last winter and is seeing “the court from different angles.”

“I’ve even grown a few inches,” she said, “so I see myself better for my team, and it’s much easier to score.”

Barfield says she is “on the path” to being “one of the greatest” to play for Lynwood.

“The sky’s the limit, it’s just how much work she keeps doing. … The sky’s the limit, because of her versatility. She’s different.”

https://www.presstelegram.com/2019/11/21...al-season/
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bask...-champions

a few of the players we're interested playing at a Nike TOC tournament
2022 Isuneh Brady committed to Uconn today. She's from the San Diego area. Not sure whether or not Stanford had any interest. She's ranked third in 2022. Hopefully we can snag Betts, Gardiner, and a few others!
(05-25-2018, 04:27 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Updated Dec 28

2020:

Signed: Jana Van Gytenbeek 5-7 Guard Colorado. Ranked # 30

Signed:   Cameron Brink 6-4 Post / Forward  Oregon ranked #3

Signed:  Agnes Emma-Nnopu 6-0 Wing Australia

2021: 

COMMIT: Brooke Demetre, 6-3 Wing, CA Ranked # 4 in her Class 

Sonia Citron, 6-1 Wing, NY Ranked # 16.  OFFER MADE  Averaged 13 Points in the recent 16U world Tournament.  Has visited

Azzi Fudd, 5-11 Guard VA, ranked # 1 in her Class Per Jan 10 story we have offered or shown great interest.

Talia Von Oelhoffen:, 5-11 Wing Washington, # 10 ESPN  She has visited

Jada Malone – 6-3 Post, Texas HoopGurlz #36, Prospectsnation #17

Khylee Pepe, 6-0 Guard SoCal - NR

Caroline Ducharme, 6-1 Wing MA – Prospectsnation #22, Bluestar #7, ESPN 41

Payton Verhulst, 6-1 Guard, Kansas, ranked # 8 HoopGurlz, On the National 16U team

Olivia Miles, 5-10 PG NJ Ranked # 2  She has visited

Greta Kampschroeder, 6-0 Wing, IL, ranked # 12. Has visited

Ally Stedman 5-9 G, AZ

Jzaniya Harrriel, 5-9 G NorCal, 4.75 GPA Ranked # 1 in NorCal, 4.75 GPA She has visited

Dominique Darius, 5-9 G NJ Ranked # 35  She has visited

CLARICE UCHE AKUNWAFO 6-6 Post, So Cal, ranked # 24 She has visited

Okikiola "kiki" Iriafen, 6-2 F, SoCal, ranked # 9 She has visited

2022:

Kiki Rice Guard from DC. Ranked # 6  Niece of Susan.   Kiki visited recently  On the Nation 16U team.

Timea Gardiner, 6-2 4/5 Utah On the National 16U team, ranked # 5  Offer made to Gardiner

Londynn Jones, 5-5 PG, SoCal ranked # 7

Maya Nnaji, 6-4 Post Mn ranked #8

Lauren Betts, 6-7 Post Co Ranked # 1

Shay Bollin, 6-3 Forward. MA Ranked # 7

2023:

Judea Watkins, 6-0 Wing Windward HS in August. Youngest player at the recent 16U tryouts.  Ranked top 25

I added Shay Bollin, 2022
thanks for the great list, bob.
https://hoopscent.blogspot.com/2020/01/w...021-5.html

We are in the top three for Kampschroeder
(01-02-2020, 08:02 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]https://hoopscent.blogspot.com/2020/01/w...021-5.html

We are in the top three for Kampschroeder

Pretty sure if we are successful, she'll be tied for Longest Name on the Jersey  (with Mulitauaopele)
A tweet from a ND account posted that Citron is focusing on Stanford, Notre Dame, and Michigan. Also considering Duke, Maryland, Oregon, and Ohio State.
Added 2022 Carleigh Wenzel
(01-09-2020, 03:44 PM)CardinalWBBFan Wrote: [ -> ]A tweet from a ND account posted that Citron is focusing on Stanford, Notre Dame, and Michigan. Also considering Duke, Maryland, Oregon, and Ohio State.

Hope she's not a lemon.
2021 Olivia Miles story - Stanford 1 of 6 listed

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bask...ivia-miles
(01-29-2020, 09:39 AM)mbdude Wrote: [ -> ]2021 Olivia Miles story - Stanford 1 of 6 listed

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-bask...ivia-miles

Sounds like it will be tough to pull her to the west coast.

Quote:Miles' recruitment likely would be over if coach Courtney Banghart hadn't gone from Princeton to North Carolina.

"I would have gone there if she didn't leave," Miles said. "I wouldn't have committed there, but it would've had a very high chance because all my family wants to see me play."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39