The CardBoard

Full Version: WBB: Women's Basketball Updated Recruiting 2019-2023, April 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
(04-02-2020, 10:49 PM)81alum Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-02-2020, 08:31 PM)mbdude Wrote: [ -> ]Another Duck in portal; Lucy Cochrane sophomore 6'5 center from Australia
Oregon has seen a LOT of transfer outs over the last few years.  It makes me wonder if they were pushed so Graves could free slots.  If this is what college sports are coming to--with elite coaches using "free agency" to staff their teams (Erin Boley, Minyon Moore, and now perhaps Dijonai Carrington) then the game loses its lustre for me.  I don't want college sports to be like pro sports, and it seems it is on that path.
Cochrane is probably not a Pac-12 level player. Her game is like better suited at somewhere like Portland (they have tons of Aussies) or Saint Mary’s. She has potential, but was never going to get the enough time on the court to improve.

(04-02-2020, 05:20 PM)2006alum Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-25-2018, 04:27 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]2021: 
Caroline Ducharme, 6-1 Wing MA – Prospectsnation #22, Bluestar #7, ESPN 41.  Has visited 

To UCONN:

Apparently there was not much interest late between Stanford and Ducharme, as her finalists were Boston College, North Carolina, Oregon, Oregon State, and Tennessee. She reportedly visited and held an offer though. 

I still really want some combination of Citron, Fudd, Miles, and von Oelhoffen. Could land both too.
Those schools don’t indicate high academics for Ducharme. I see I never added Caroline Lau. And thoughts on her ?
(04-03-2020, 07:46 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Those schools don’t indicate high academics for Ducharme.    I see I never added Caroline Lau.  And thoughts on her ?

If I had to guess, I'd guess that early interest was due to her attending an academy that has the academic culture that sets a student-athlete up to be eligible for admissibility. But I had heard ZERO rumblings about her being a very likely candidate for Stanford, so I suspect somewhere along the way probable door 1 issues may have emerged. 

To me the bigger news is that UConn has gone from a really lean roster to one that I think is already too full. Makes me wonder if Fudd is looking elsewhere, because there is no universe where a player like Ducharme gets significant playing time in a roster that has future players Bueckers, Nika Muhl, Aaliyah Edwards, Amari DeBerry, Saylor Poffenbarger, and returners like Williams, ONO, Griffin, and Makurat. Something will have to give, because that's just too many top players.
Official visits for WBB were to start April 1 now late May at the earliest. This affects everyone. However the fact that Stanford had so many come on unofficial visits is sure a big help
(04-03-2020, 07:46 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Those schools don’t indicate high academics for Ducharme.    I see I never added Caroline Lau.  And thoughts on her ?
Apparently academics weren't as high on the list as many had anticipated for her. I believe her sister plays for Brown. I haven't seen much on Lau, but she appears to be high caliber recruit both academically and athletically. She plays for Exodus. I read Citron was switching over to Exodus to play on the EYBL circuit, so we'll see.

skinshoops86 on twitter (who does the crystal balls) put one out for Iriafen to Stanford yesterday. I regularly see USC, UCLA, Stanford, and UConn as the schools being involved in Iriafen.

I think it'll be a Stanford/UCLA/OSU battle for von Oelhoffen. I don't see her going to UConn with Poffenbarger/Ducharme, and I'm still surprised Oklahoma made her top-5.
caroline lau, class of '22:
link

the boneyard says UConn has some interest

she was among 68 invitees for the under-16 national team but didn't make the cut down to 42. that would make her about a top-50 player. link

from 7th grade playing pg for the varsity team. she was crazy good as a 7th grader. playing for the varsity while in middle school makes me think of jamilla wideman.
Meanwhile, Charmin Smith has been doing an amazing job recruiting her first class which was ranked 7th before signing this recruit:

https://bearinsider.com/s/2170/bears-ste...ma-elsnitz
(04-03-2020, 03:11 PM)Griffins78 Wrote: [ -> ]Meanwhile, Charmin Smith has been doing an amazing job recruiting her first class which was ranked 7th before signing this recruit:

https://bearinsider.com/s/2170/bears-ste...ma-elsnitz

well, i'm impressed!
If you put a lot of faith in the Stanford Women's Basketball Twitter feed and whom that feed follows, then these would be our 2021 and 2022 recruits:

Brooke Demetre (already committed)
Sonia Citron
Olivia Miles
Payton Verhulst

Kiki Rice
Timea Gardiner
Caroline Lau

That would be an amazing collection of recruits and among our best ever over a two year period as Demetre, Miles, Verhulst, Rice and Gardiner are all HoopGurlz top 10 recruits.  Hopefully, we could add Fudd or Iriafen or Von Oelhoffen to the 2021 class (all of them top 10 recruits as well).  As for 2022, not quite sure how Lau fits in given that we would have both Van Gytenbeek and Miles at PG.  Perhaps swap her out for a big like #1 in her class Lauren Betts.
(04-03-2020, 04:50 PM)BosCard Wrote: [ -> ]If you put a lot of faith in the Stanford Women's Basketball Twitter feed and whom that feed follows, then these would be our 2021 and 2022 recruits:

Sonia Citron
Olivia Miles
Payton Verhulst

Kiki Rice
Timea Gardiner
Caroline Lau

That would be an amazing collection of recruits and among our best ever over a two year period as Demetre, Miles, Verhulst, Rice and Gardiner are all HoopGurlz top 10 recruits.  Hopefully, we could add Fudd or Iriafen or Von Oelhoffen to the 2021 class (all of them top 10 recruits as well).  As for 2022, not quite sure how Lau fits in given that we would have both Van Gytenbeek and Miles at PG.  Perhaps swap her out for a big like #1 in her class Lauren Betts.

A fan can dream, can they? Not going to write more, to not upset the woofing gods. We still have a long ways to go as just Demetre has committed.
The University of California system is eliminating the need for standardized testing scores for the class of 2021 given the disruption caused by COVID-19.  I wonder if more Universities including Stanford will follow suit and if so, what will the impact be on athletic recruitment.  Is it possible that prospects who had good enough GPAs beforehand can now accept offers as there likely won't be standardized tests offered in the near future.
(04-03-2020, 08:15 AM)2006alum Wrote: [ -> ]
To me the bigger news is that UConn has gone from a really lean roster to one that I think is already too full. Makes me wonder if Fudd is looking elsewhere, because there is no universe where a player like Ducharme gets significant playing time in a roster that has future players Bueckers, Nika Muhl, Aaliyah Edwards, Amari DeBerry, Saylor Poffenbarger, and returners like Williams, ONO, Griffin, and Makurat. Something will have to give, because that's just too many top players.
Fudd is too good of player where she would still start, or at least come off the bench and see significant minutes (like Maya Moore did as a freshman). She isn't worried about playing time at UConn or anywhere she goes.
(04-04-2020, 12:01 AM)SakiBomb25 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-03-2020, 08:15 AM)2006alum Wrote: [ -> ]
Fudd is too good of player where she would still start, or at least come off the bench and see significant minutes (like Maya Moore did as a freshman). She isn't worried about playing time at UConn or anywhere she goes.

I agree with your assessment 100%, and my logic wasn't super well articulated: does Ducharme know Fudd is looking elsewhere, because if not, she's gambling signing onto an already loaded UConn roster that will only get more loaded with Fudd. I'm beginning to think we should expect at least 1/3 of these recruits to end up transferring, because Geno is not for everyone, and otherwise a lot of these top recruits will need to start being happy riding the bench.
(04-03-2020, 04:50 PM)BosCard Wrote: [ -> ]If you put a lot of faith in the Stanford Women's Basketball Twitter feed and whom that feed follows, then these would be our 2021 and 2022 recruits:

Sonia Citron
Olivia Miles
Payton Verhulst

Kiki Rice
Timea Gardiner
Caroline Lau

we're going to need bigs in a couple of years, so gardiner and iriafen will be important. or betts, of course.
OK, I am going to ask the nuclear question:  If the entire basketball season gets cancelled next year, and everyone gets an extra redshirt, how will this affect recruiting?  Would teams be held to 15 scholarships such that they either can't recruit anyone for 2021 (or very few, depending on seniors who decide to skip their redshirt years)?

The season might not be cancelled.  But then again it might.  We won't have a vaccine for another year or two, and this  virus is showing signs of seasonality--meaning it could come roaring back right about the same time basketball season starts in November.  I can't imagine very many folks wanting to attend a game under those circumstances.  (Especially WBB fans, who tend to be seniors.)  Maybe with good testing games could be played in empty gyms, or socially-distanced gyms.  But there is a possibility there might not be basketball next year.  What then will be the effects upon recruiting?

I would think that with an uncertain basketball future, those WBB players who can make it into Stanford would have even more of an incentive to come here as opposed to somewhere else.  Passing up a Stanford education to go start for another elite WBB program has always seemed illogical to me, but passing up a Stanford education to go sit during a year of basketball hiatus at another program that might or might not be the same when basketball returns would be lunacy.
Well the ncaa already raised the scholarship limit for spring sports. So that’s one answer

If no basketball I really doubt if school
Would be back to normal. Thus no one attending
I am going to continue dreaming about what the classes of 2021 and 2022 are going to look like.  And how they will join the amazing players in the classes before them.  Here is an analysis of our ESPN HoopGurlz Top 10 players starting from 2007 and the team's record when those players were freshman at Stanford:

2007:  1 (Kayla Pederson), 35-4

2008:  1 (Nneka Ogwumike), 33-5
2009:  1 (Joslyn Tinkle), 36-2
2010:  1 (Chiney Ogwumike), 33-3
2011:  0, 35-2
2012:  0, 33-3
2013:  0, 33-4
2014:  0, 26-10
2015:  0, 27-8
2016:  0, 32-6
2017:  1 (Kiana Williams), 24-11
2018:  0, 31-5
2019:  1 (Haley Jones), 27-6
2020:  1 (Cameron Brink)
2021:  At least 1 (Brooke Demetre), but I think we have a shot at 4, 5 if you are greedy
2022:  I think we have a shot at 2, 3 if you are greedy

It is not hard to see that top recruiting really does determine your team's performance.  Our recruiting from 2007-2010 really did lead to some outstanding seasons and a lot of Final Fours.  And on the flip side, if you go 6 straight years without a top 10 recruit, you end up with season records like 26-10 or 24-11.  We are on a very good recruiting roll now, however the classes of 2021 and 2022 could make it historic.  Since 2007 we have never had more than 1 top 10 player in a class.  Based on absolutely no inside information and 100% gut feeling, I think we have a realistic shot at 4 top-10 players in 2021 and 2 in 2022.     
Hope you are right. I like your thinking.
In football, both basketballs and baseball the ban on early outs should be eliminated. Thus HS kids could go right to the NBA or WNBA, frosh-juniors to the NFL, frosh and sophs to baseball. For those envisioning a pro career and not that interested in school it's only fair if next year's Fall, Winter and Spring sport is cancelled.

There is tremendous research happening across the nation. The race for a vaccine is critical and the result could be worth hundreds of millions to the finder. I think it will happen sometime between March and June of 2021 only because of how many are working on it. It is Polyanna Saturday in West Marin.
(04-04-2020, 11:51 AM)Phogge Wrote: [ -> ] I think it will happen sometime between March and June of 2021 only because of how many are working on it. It is Polyanna Saturday in West Marin.

It's striking how quickly what would have been seen as Cassandra's forecast a few weeks ago is now seen as Pollyanna's!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39