The CardBoard

Full Version: WBB: Women's Basketball Updated Recruiting 2019-2023, April 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
(04-10-2020, 02:32 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Big big loss

https://twitter.com/payton_verhulst/stat...13376?s=21

I respectfully disagree. A “big big loss” is what happened this season against Oregon... and Oregon... and Oregon.  A high school kid choosing to go someplace else may be disappointing, but we ought to be able to win with the talent we already have and/or have committed. And, if we did, maybe more of these decisions would go our way.
Here are my predictions/wish list for our 2021 and 2022 classes.  It is purposefully a combination of a fan's wishful thinking for the best available recruits, what the team's positional needs may be, and some guess of likelihood of coming.  It would be amazing if 2021 #1 Fudd or 2022 #1 Betts came but I'm not sure how seriously they are considering us.

Brooke Demetre - Committed

Olivia Miles - Point Guard.  Would be great to get a big point guard who could run the pick and roll.  Still have nightmares of the Ionescu-Hebard pick and roll.

Sonia Citron - Shooting Wing.  We need more shooting.  In the '19 and '20 classes, Jump is the only pure shooter although Van Gytenbeek has a reputation as a shooter as well.

Talia Von Oelhoffen - Driving Wing.  I've seen her described as a point forward.  Seems like she drives well and uses her strength to finish through contact.

Kiki Iriafen - Post Big.  Not the tallest or strongest post player but very long and skilled.

Londynn Jones - Point Guard.  Do we need another point guard if we get Miles in '21?  Yes in case of injury AND we need more shooting and Jones is a long range shooter.  She shot 47% from 3 on the U16 team at FIBA Americas and made twice as many 3's as the next nearest Team USA player.

Kiki Rice - Driving Wing.  Big, athletic, versatile guard that seems to do everything well.

Timea Gardiner - Post Big.  Possibly a similar game to Iriafen in terms of highly skilled post player.  Probably more physical vs. Iriafen who might be more of a quick leaper.
With Tara's penchant for using the shot clock and our offensive struggles, especially when improvising when our set plays are well defended, we need players who can create shots on their own. With DiJonai's and Haley's injuries last year, it was often up to Kiana and therefore very predictable where the ball was going to, in those types of situations. It will be great to stock up on players who can do that, to give the offense more options.
http://simplybasketballhq.com/player-spo...a-harrell/

Interesting story for Stanford fans
Indeed, this part stands out: 

"My most memorable highlight of my career so far is when I pulled up from half court to beat the buzzer before half time. The news had came to watch, and that was the first time Stanford had gotten to see me play."

BC
I find myself wondering how the current pandemic and its impact on sports is going to affect recruiting. Not the fact that coaches can't go out on the road to see and talk to players, but how the players themselves are thinking of their futures. The incoming frosh may or may not get to play this fall. Perhaps they will later in the year in a truncated season. But if the year is cut significantly short, does the NCAA give everyone another year of eligibility? Or are they all just out of luck. If they do get another year of eligibility, what does that do to the 2021 class? They would be joining teams that already have pretty full rosters -- and that could affect where they decide to go. And so on. If I were a high school junior, thinking about where I want to go play, I'd be looking at the response to the pandemic of the schools and the states they are in as one of my decision criteria. Much to think about.  I have no answers, but I do hope that these kids realize that their college experience, even a year plus away, may well be affected and will make their decisions with that in mind.
I have a hunch that the pandemic may help Stanford recruiting.  When there is greater uncertainty about the future of sports, there ought to be greater awareness of the advantage of the best college degree possible. 

On the other hand, all those intangible advantages   that Stanford has--the country-club setting, the weather, the gorgeous Bay Area--go out the window if you are sitting at home doing distance learning.  But that won't last forever.
(04-16-2020, 02:16 PM)81alum Wrote: [ -> ]I have a hunch that the pandemic may help Stanford recruiting.  When there is greater uncertainty about the future of sports, there ought to be greater awareness of the advantage of the best college degree possible. 

On the other hand, all those intangible advantages   that Stanford has--the country-club setting, the weather, the gorgeous Bay Area--go out the window if you are sitting at home doing distance learning.  But that won't last forever.

I agree with 81alum.  I think the current situation emphasizes the benefits of a Stanford education, namely setting you up for life after basketball.  The pandemic just showed how quickly basketball can disappear.
Quite a few high school graduates now take a "gap year" before starting college; possible some recruits  thinking along those lines
Dominique Darius committed to UCLA.
(04-16-2020, 04:41 PM)mbdude Wrote: [ -> ]Quite a few high school graduates now take a "gap year" before starting college; possible some recruits  thinking along those lines

Might make sense in today's world, but I suspect, would not be the top people, wouldn't want to take a break from basketball and risk losing their edge.
(04-16-2020, 05:34 PM)CardinalWBBFan Wrote: [ -> ]Dominique Darius committed to UCLA.
Now we want her teammate Olivia Miles to want to play in the Pac-12 against her!
Also announced tonight on the virtual tour Anna Wilson will be returning
(04-16-2020, 08:51 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Also announced tonight on the virtual tour Anna Wilson will be returning

As a player on the Stanford women's basketball team? (Just checking)
(04-16-2020, 08:51 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Also announced tonight on the virtual tour Anna Wilson will be returning

Great news, so happy for her and for Stanford.
(04-16-2020, 10:03 PM)PVTree Wrote: [ -> ]

As a player on the Stanford women's basketball team? (Just checking)

:-)  Yes!
(04-16-2020, 10:06 PM)WBB fan Wrote: [ -> ]

Great news, so happy for her and for Stanford.

any  more news on Dijonai?
Malone just committed to Texas A&M
Jzaniya Harriel is now ranked #52 in espnW top-60 for 2021.
Olivia Miles to Notre Dame per Raoul- we were on her list. Ivey has already made difference
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39