The CardBoard

Full Version: WBB: Women's Basketball Updated Recruiting 2019-2023, April 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
(05-05-2020, 10:58 AM)2006alum Wrote: [ -> ]More generally, I think we need take a step back and put our recent history into perspective: prior to 2020 #3 recruit Cameron Brink's commitment (which, oddly enough, predated Haley Jones's), the last top 5 recruit we inked was #1 2010 recruit Chiney Ogwumike in 2009. So in the intervening 12 years, we had zero top 5 recruits, and one consensus top ten recruit (Kiana Williams). 

Since Brink's commitment in October 2018, we had 2019 #1 recruit Haley Jones commit a few weeks later in November 2018, and then 2021 #4 recruit Brooke Demetre commit in June 2019. That's three top 5 recruits in less than a year.

Yes, we obviously want as many top recruits as we can get. But remember, top recruits come expecting significant playing time, want to start early in their college careers, and are ultimately looking to go pro, so the 40-year decision is slightly less important. And no team, even Stanford, can manage a bench of 15 D1 starters and keep them all happy with playing time. 

And in addition to those three, over the next 2-3 years we can expect starter-level contributions from Lexie, Prechtel, Belibi, and van Gytenbeek, if not others who step up.

So I think we are probably at close to a high water mark in terms of top recruits, and I honestly don't think we could sustain many more top players and keep everyone's playing time expectations satisfied. Top 30-70 role players like Harriel and Jump, for whom Stanford was their dream school and who have ambitions beyond basketball, are just as important for us, because Tara wants to fill all her scholarship slots, and it's just not sustainable to do that with exclusively top recruits.

I think we are all hoping that the current period represents the "new normal" in recruiting, where we can recruit a top-5 recruit nearly every year, with a strong supporting cast.

And for every recruit who looks at the line-up and worries about playing time, there's a recruit who is confident enough in her abilities to think she can crack that line-up and that practicing against and playing with top players will only make her better.  Plus, don't underestimate the pull of winning as a recruiting tool.

BC
Recruiting for the past 13 years has been good enough for 7 Final Fours. Let’s not forget that

Or the service that had Nneka at # 7 same as Wiggins
(05-05-2020, 03:37 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Recruiting for the past 13 years has been good enough for 7 Final Fours.    Let’s not forget that

And yet, during that period, there have been six different teams to win the National Championship, and we're not one of them.  In fact, of those 7 Final Fours, I think we've only played in 2 title games.  With the players that we've been getting -- and, particularly, that we have now -- there should be a title in there somewhere.  At the very least, one should come in the next year or two.  If not, well...
Well cry me a river but I did just order a Rosati’s pizza 76. :).
(05-05-2020, 03:55 PM)76lsjumb Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2020, 03:37 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Recruiting for the past 13 years has been good enough for 7 Final Fours.    Let’s not forget that

And yet, during that period, there have been six different teams to win the National Championship, and we're not one of them.  In fact, of those 7 Final Fours, I think we've only played in 2 title games.  With the players that we've been getting -- and, particularly, that we have now -- there should be a title in there somewhere.  At the very least, one should come in the next year or two.  If not, well...
The Cardinal were the best team in the country KP's and JP's senior year / Nneka's junior year. That semifinal loss to TAM still hurts. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

or the service that had Lily Thompson as scout rate 90 (if I remember correctly), definitely not top 100
Actually reasons for that but all rehashed several years ago
(05-05-2020, 04:09 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Well cry me a river but I did just order a Rosati’s pizza 76.  :).

Ouch.  You really know how to hurt a guy...  :-)

Coincidentally, we just had take-out from Amici's, which was okay, but not Rosati's.  In fact, if I had said the name Rosati's to my wife, I'm pretty sure she would have insisted that I completely disregard shelter-in-place orders and drive up there to get one [she likes them that much].

Hope you're staying safe.
The pizza was awesome.
I’m great. Missing sports but staying isolated so I can Visit grandchildren close by once a week.

You both stay safe
Fantastic to hear! She's been saying Stanford has been her dream school all along, so I'm glad it worked out for her! Here's more on her commitment from the SacBee. Wants to be a judge after she finishes playing basketball. Sounds like we got a(nother) good one!
I posted before that I saw her play but her team lead at the half like 54-6 and had made about 12 threes.
Her coach was Sara James travel coach.

I’ll see her again this season and report.

I’m very happy
Hooray. From the Bee article, it sounds as if she really values all that Stanford has to offer.
Great!  She seems like an excellent guard who will fit in well.
So what do we think are chances are with:

Talia Von Oelhoffen ?
Kiki Iriafan?

My choice now for the next is Mia Hughes from Washington
(05-14-2020, 10:03 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]So what do we think are chances are with:

Talia Von Oelhoffen ?
Kiki Iriafan?

My choice now for the next is Mia Hughes from Washington

Hughes is totally new to me - she does not even have a profile on ESPN's 2021 recruiting database. I am assuming that she would not be a meaningful contributor as a recruit and would essentially fill a spot if we can't land two more recruiting targets? 

Without any inside info, lots of aspects of Iriafen's profile suggest she is a very strong fit for Stanford. I am less certain about Von Oelhoffen, though ESPN lists Stanford as first on her list of schools considering, and ordinarily those lists are always sorted alphabetically, so maybe they know something we don't? 

The other possibility is a commonwealth recruit - Tara has signed a Candian or Aussie in 4 of the past 5 years. Though maybe with COVID-19 that is less desirable on both ends this year?
Hughes blew up this season and even better in the state tournament. A good friend who has watched Hughes Loves her

Rankings aren’t the end all.

I think Talia more likely than Kiki.

Thanks for your thoughts
So no Azzi?

BC
(05-14-2020, 12:01 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]So no Azzi?

BC

Azzi still up in the air, nobody really has any indication as to whether she'll join her really good friend Paige at UConn or not. If anything, I think many of us suspect that she's a UConn lean, but will be joyous if she joins Stanford. Given the current state of affairs, one would hope that getting a Stanford education helps tips the scales in our favor. Who knows if pro sports will come out of this okay?
(05-14-2020, 11:50 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Hughes blew up this season and even better in the state tournament.    A good friend who has watched Hughes Loves her

Rankings aren’t the end all. 

I think Talia more likely than Kiki. 

Thanks for your thoughts

While rankings aren't the end all, they provide a relatively good predictor of who will be All-Americans in college (especially 1st Team) and seldom does a team win a national title without at least one First Team All-American on their team.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39