The CardBoard

Full Version: The coaching carousel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Mark Richt announced his retirement from Miami...

https://es.pn/2Vkusql

This is relevant because Oregon’s Mario Cristobal is a former Hurricanes player.

BC
(12-30-2018, 12:57 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]Mark Richt announced his retirement from Miami...

This is relevant because Oregon’s Mario Cristobal is a former Hurricanes player.

BC

And Miami's top choice according to a couple of reporters. It would be really poetic if Oregon lost its coach two years in a row after one season. And I am sure it would cause Herbert to end up leaving for pros, and that vaunted recruiting class to crumble.
(12-30-2018, 12:57 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]Mark Richt announced his retirement from Miami...

BC
Do you think Cristobal has enough of a resume to be considered by Miami? Seems a bit of a reach to me. He wasn't all that popular a choice at Oregon. Things are probably better there now, but still..?
Cristobal is Miami's top choice but I don't think it's likely this deal gets done for a couple of reasons. First, it doesn't make sense for Cristobal to leave. Oregon is a better job than Miami from both a long and short term perspective. The only reason Cristobal might seriously entertain Miami's advances is because it's his alma mater. Second, Cristobal has a $10 million buyout if he were to leave Oregon and it won't be easy for the Canes to come up with that type of cash. In addition to the buyout, they'd also have to offer a competitive salary to Cristobal and whatever amount they agreed to in a settlement with Richt. Despite its status among the blue bloods of college football, UM is still a small private school with resources that pale in comparison to those currently at the top of the game.

Manny Diaz was back in Coral Gables today. Perhaps he was just cleaning out his old office but I'm guessing there was more to it than that. This one could hinge on whether all parties had signed off on Diaz's contract at Temple, whether the board of trustees had approved it, thus making it binding, etc. Very uncomfortable position for Temple AD Pat Kraft right now.
Richt is retiring, so I don’t think Miami is going to owe him the buyout.

BC
Richt is 58 years old with 5 years left on a contract that was set to pay him roughly $4 million/year. His “retirement” was not voluntary. The AD stripped him of playcalling duties after the season and told him that he needed to overhaul his offensive staff. Sure, Richt could still be the head coach at Miami if he had agreed to those terms, but I’d be willing to bet a healthy sum that he’s not walking away empty handed.
(12-30-2018, 08:00 PM)StanfordMatt Wrote: [ -> ]Cristobal is Miami's top choice but I don't think it's likely this deal gets done for a couple of reasons. First, it doesn't make sense for Cristobal to leave. Oregon is a better job than Miami from both a long and short term perspective. The only reason Cristobal might seriously entertain Miami's advances is because it's his alma mater. Second, Cristobal has a $10 million buyout if he were to leave Oregon and it won't be easy for the Canes to come up with that type of cash. In addition to the buyout, they'd also have to offer a competitive salary to Cristobal and whatever amount they agreed to in a settlement with Richt. Despite its status among the blue bloods of college football, UM is still a small private school with resources that pale in comparison to those currently at the top of the game.

Manny Diaz was back in Coral Gables today. Perhaps he was just cleaning out his old office but I'm guessing there was more to it than that. This one could hinge on whether all parties had signed off on Diaz's contract at Temple, whether the board of trustees had approved it, thus making it binding, etc. Very uncomfortable position for Temple AD Pat Kraft right now.

Good call StanfordMatt. Hadn't heard about the Diaz news, but it was definitely prescient in retrospect. Manny Diaz will be the new coach at Miami. Oregon will not lose their coach two years in a row.

However, now Temple has an even worse situation than Oregon did last year with Taggart, as Diaz practically pulled a Bill Belichick with the Jets. At least Taggart coached at Oregon for a year before leaving UO high and dry.
(12-30-2018, 08:24 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]Richt is retiring, so I don’t think Miami is going to owe him the buyout.

BC

in this case I think "retiring" is football coach-speak for "going to spend more time with their family" in corporate-speak which is usually accompanied by lots of parting gifts, which I think Richt will receive.......
(12-30-2018, 09:10 PM)d4cohn Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2018, 08:00 PM)StanfordMatt Wrote: [ -> ]Cristobal is Miami's top choice but I don't think it's likely this deal gets done for a couple of reasons. First, it doesn't make sense for Cristobal to leave. Oregon is a better job than Miami from both a long and short term perspective. The only reason Cristobal might seriously entertain Miami's advances is because it's his alma mater. Second, Cristobal has a $10 million buyout if he were to leave Oregon and it won't be easy for the Canes to come up with that type of cash. In addition to the buyout, they'd also have to offer a competitive salary to Cristobal and whatever amount they agreed to in a settlement with Richt. Despite its status among the blue bloods of college football, UM is still a small private school with resources that pale in comparison to those currently at the top of the game.

Good call StanfordMatt. Hadn't heard about the Diaz news, but it was definitely prescient in retrospect. Manny Diaz will be the new coach at Miami. Oregon will not lose their coach two years in a row.

However, now Temple has an even worse situation than Oregon did last year with Taggart, as Diaz practically pulled a Bill Belichick with the Jets. At least Taggart coached at Oregon for a year before leaving UO high and dry.

You mean like the situation Indianapolis was in after last year?

BC
I sure would love to see David Shaw hire now fired former Jets HC Todd Bowles as DC.  He's probably the type of guy who isn't getting another HC job, and he may be tired of the NFL grind, setting him up to serve for a long time at Stanford. Having a coach with so much NFL experience would certainly seemingly help recruiting on defense.
This year seven NFL head coaches were fired. I think that's two or three more than usual.
(12-31-2018, 06:59 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote: [ -> ]I sure would love to see David Shaw hire now fired former Jets HC Todd Bowles as DC.  He's probably the type of guy who isn't getting another HC job, and he may be tired of the NFL grind, setting him up to serve for a long time at Stanford. Having a coach with so much NFL experience would certainly seemingly help recruiting on defense.

Bowles could be getting the Temple HC job.
Mike Sanford to Utah State as the Offensive Coordinator
(12-31-2018, 02:30 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Mike Sanford to Utah State as the Offensive Coordinator

Dang, I was keeping my hopes up for Sanford.
Former Stanford assistant Lance Taylor was fired by the Carolina Panthers today.
Former Stanford Defensive Coordinator Vic Fangio was hired as head coach at Denver.

BC
Ah, beat me to it BC!

And FWIW, Carolina Panther fans on Reddit are confused/disappointed by Taylor's firing. The extremely young WR corps did well this season despite key injuries, and Taylor of course had plenty of experience working with CMac. They think this is a "hey look, we're shaking things up!" PR move while most of their defensive staff gets saved by the defensive QC coach being Ron Rivera's nephew. (They did fire DL coach Brady Hoke (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) ).
Greg Roman named OC by Ravens.

Keeping him in the Harbaugh family.
Pages: 1 2