The CardBoard

Full Version: 2019 Stanford Football Personnel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
(01-05-2019, 11:17 AM)McKenwood Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Langdude. Your work is really appreciated.

A couple of takeaways.

At 80 scholarships, before off season transfer and injury attrition is a of immense proportions red flag.  Stanford will likely end up at 75 scholarships before some walk-ons are awarded scholarships. Not good and a repeat of 2018. Stanford needs the depth to play its challenging schedule.

Both lines are short players. The defensive line shortfall is particularly galling because Stanford's recent shortcomings on the defensive side can be traced to a lack of bodies and talent. The offensive line, besides QB, is where Stanford should have its greatest recruiting advantage and yet again there is a shortfall in numbers and maybe talent. Stanford's success with walk-ons does not usually include lineman, so recruiting should focus on making sure all the scholarships are allocated the lines (15 OL, 10 DL).

The scholarship realities of being on NCAA sanctions without any possible benefits gained from breaking NCAA rules.
Costello just tweeted he’s returning for next season
Good!   And I just read that Hinton committed to us (I assume also on another thread) so Fear the Tree!
(01-09-2019, 07:14 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Costello just tweeted he’s returning for next season

[Image: tenor.gif]
Belated frosh notes on new personnel grid:
  • Offensive frosh added: Jones, Peat at RB; Archer, Lush (PWO) at TE; Higgins, Bowman, Graham at WR; Rouse, Miller at OT; Bragg, Hornibrook at OG; Nugent at C.
  • Defensive frosh added: Herron, Pakola, DiCosmo at OLB; Sinclair, Damuni at ILB; STM, Kelly, Toomer, Manley at CB; McGill, Jones (PWO) at S.
  • ST frosh added: Sanborn at P (PWO).
  • At every position (except one), I listed players where the team is currently listing them. This does not, of course, preclude a position switch before the season starts.
  • When the team lists a player for two positions (e.g., "OG/OT" or "CB/S"), I list the player at the first position listed by the team. Those players include Branson Bragg (OG/OT), Aeneas DiCosmo (OLB/ILB), Jake Hornibrook (OG/OT), Jonathan McGill (CB/S), Drake Nugent (C/OG), Ryan Sanborn (P/K), Nicolas Toomer (CB/S), and Salim Turner-Muhammad (CB/S). That's a lot of slashes. The coaches are obviously either recruiting, projecting, or trying to encourage versatility.
  • The one exception for my listing rule was Jonathan McGill. There are three CB/S slashes. I really doubt that they are going to consider all five incoming frosh CBs (those three plus Kelly and Manley) as primarily cornerbacks. At least one will be a S. I project McGill because that was his HS position, at which he excelled. And it is easier on the grid not to list five players of any year at one position.
  • Sanborn is interesting in that, technically, he is a freshman walk-on projected to start.
  • I like the balance in the class except for the lack of a QB, which is an oversight, IMO, and zero DL, which is a bigger oversight, IMO.
-m.
Lush is projected as an OT but best to wait until summer to decide

Thanks for doing this
(01-14-2019, 10:22 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Lush is projected as an OT but best to wait  until summer to decide

Thanks for doing this

Any of the OLB project as DE?

BC

(01-14-2019, 10:22 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Lush is projected as an OT but best to wait  until summer to decide

Thanks for doing this

Quote:I like the balance in the class except for the lack of a QB, which is an oversight, IMO, and zero DL, which is a bigger oversight, IMO.

Any chance any of the OLB move over to DE?

BC
If Pakola doesn't move to full-time DE I don't know what to do with myself anymore.

Also, Toomer is a safety.
(01-14-2019, 11:55 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote: [ -> ]If Pakola doesn't move to full-time DE I don't know what to do with myself anymore.

Also, Toomer is a safety.

As mentioned above, Toomer is listed as a "CB/S" by the team, not "S." Per 247, he was a CB in HS. Thus my listing him as a CB; front side of slash. The team may end up switching him and not McGill to full-time S; that'd be fine by me!

I agree that Pakola makes the most sense to switch to DE. It is odd that, given that Pakola was a DE in HS, that the team lists him as an OLB. I understand why they did that with DEs DiCosmo and Herron.

-m.
Maybe Pakola played both positions but when I saw him play he was an OLBer
(01-14-2019, 12:51 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe Pakola played both positions but when I saw him play he was an OLBer

I believe it; St. Francis used him in a whole bunch of places. But a gap year at DL is unacceptable (and worse than QB IMO - you don't ideally have a 5+ man QB rotation do you?).

Personally I hope Tobe Umerah moves to DE as well, especially if the other 2 OLBs in his class (Kaufusi and Kelly) are showing flashes already.
(01-14-2019, 01:00 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote: [ -> ]But a gap year at DL is unacceptable (and worse than QB IMO - you don't ideally have a 5+ man QB rotation do you?).

Agreed, as I noted above.

-m.
I don't know what system he played in high school, but often 4-3 DE's become 3-4 OLB's.

BC
Belated fourth-year eligible player notes on new personnel grid:
  • I didn't include any walk-ons, assuming that all will graduate after their academic senior year and will not be invited to stay for a fifth year to play (on their own dime, and assuming they get into a co-term program). Of course, it could be that an academic senior walk-on could be given a scholie, or could decide to stay on their own (if invited). Should that happen, I will add them back on.
  • Removed WR JJAW, who declared for the NFL draft.
  • Removed OG Nate Herbig, who declared for the NFL draft.
  • Removed OG Nate Wilson, who retired.
  • Removed DE Dylan Jackson, who retired.
  • Removed ILB Sean Barton, who retired.
  • Removed S Ben Edwards, who retired.
  • Removed S Frank Buncom, who retired.
  • Wow. That's a LOT of retirements for players who have a year of eligibility remaining and who would have either started or played significant roles.
  • Interestingly, Barton had two years of eligibility remaining. Because he was injured after only playing in three games two seasons ago, he could have applied for a hardship sixth year, which are almost always awarded for injuries. However, that would have made him a 45-year-old sixth-year senior.
-m.
Didn’t Barton redshirt his first year back from the mission?
(01-14-2019, 07:09 PM)Phogge Wrote: [ -> ]Didn’t Barton redshirt his first year back from the mission?

As a Freshman (2015)

• Did not see action

The Barton File

• Played at Woods Cross (Utah) for head coach Justin Spencer
     • Signed in 2013 before serving a two-year LDS church mission in Benin

https://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=11650
Frank Buncom just tweeted his retirement
(01-14-2019, 07:36 PM)82lsju Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-14-2019, 07:09 PM)Phogge Wrote: [ -> ]Didn’t Barton redshirt his first year back from the mission?

As a Freshman (2015)

• Did not see action

The Barton File

• Played at Woods Cross (Utah) for head coach Justin Spencer
     • Signed in 2013 before serving a two-year LDS church mission in Benin

https://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=11650

Yes; he did redshirt as a true frosh. However, a player may redshirt and then, if they miss a subsequent season due to injury, are permitted to apply for a sixth year of eligibility.

-m.

(01-14-2019, 08:07 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Frank Buncom just tweeted his retirement

Holy moly. Adjusting grid and above note.

-m.
That’s not quite right.  A hardship year is usually only awarded if a player has not voluntarily redshirted.  Sixth years, when granted, are typically only awarded when a player misses two years due to injury, not when he misses one year due to injury after having already redshirted for non injury purposes.  Personally, I think the distinction is kind of dumb, and to be honest the rule should be simple; five years to play four, no matter what the reason for not playing is.

BC
Agreed that’s the rule BC.

Ellery Roberts the only one I can recall at Stanford
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17