The CardBoard

Full Version: MBB vs. Arizona
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Home PAC-12 opener tonight @ 8pm PST, on PAC-12 Network.

For those interested in keeping track of how we do against the spread, Arizona is favored by 4.
For those whose expectations were not low already, Ken Pomeroy has Arizona with the 35th best defense in D-I.  We have struggled mightily against good defenses this season (like Florida, Wisconsin, USF, and UNC, all of which are also in the top 35).
Stanford has lost 17 consecutive games to Arizona. The last victory was January 4, 2009 (Johnny Dawkins' first year).

They were oh so close last season, leading by 11 with 9 minutes to play but could not hold the lead.
(01-09-2019, 02:15 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote: [ -> ]Home PAC-12 opener tonight @ 8pm PST, on PAC-12 Network.

For those interested in keeping track of how we do against the spread, Arizona is favored by 4.

Color me surprised that they're only favored by 4.
DVR has been set. Thanks.
Even though we've lost 17 straight times, Fitzgerald thinks we have a shot at snapping the streak. (Of course, there's always a shot, no matter how small.)

Quote:How good a chance depends on whether they can make up for their lack of an inside game on offense and defense. That’s a big if, but this isn’t the same Arizona team that Stanford fans have come to know and loathe.

Quote:The Wildcats (11-4, 2-0 Pac-12) lost all five starters from last season, including 7-foot-1 Deandre Ayton, the top pick in the NBA draft by the Phoenix Suns. Also gone are Cardinal-nemesis Dusan Ristic, now playing in Serbia, and Allonzo Trier (Knicks), along with a couple of current G-Leaguers, Rawle Alkins and Parker Jackson-Cartwright.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/collegesports...518799.php
This game is there for the taking. We had a 6 point lead and some poor decisions on offense and we now trail by 5 with less than 8 to go.

It's been frustrating watching us commit turnover after turnover. We need to win this to have a chance at being over .500 in conference. Time to stop the 17 game losing streak vs. the kitty katz. 

Now Ryan goes down.
(01-09-2019, 10:47 PM)PVTree Wrote: [ -> ]This game is there for the taking. We had a 6 point lead and some poor decisions on offense and we now trail by 5 with less than 8 to go.

It's been frustrating watching us commit turnover after turnover. We need to win this to have a chance at being over .500 in conference. Time to stop the 17 game losing streak vs. the kitty katz. 

Now Ryan goes down.

We've missed eight free throws in a five point game (including some front ends of a one and one).

BC
(01-09-2019, 10:53 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2019, 10:47 PM)PVTree Wrote: [ -> ]This game is there for the taking. We had a 6 point lead and some poor decisions on offense and we now trail by 5 with less than 8 to go.

Now Ryan goes down.

We've missed eight free throws in a five point game (including some front ends of a one and one).

BC

Along with now 19 turnovers.
Also 1/7 from three point versus giving up 7/12.  Still can't get over 15/26 free throw shooting in a game where the difference is 1 point with under 2 minutes left.

BC

* sigh *
Another frustrating loss. This team is talented, but incapable of putting it together for a whole game...only in spurts. This is a mediocre Zona team, and we still can't beat them at home.
73-70 AZ. Vegas basically nailed it with -4, but we technically beat the spread!

This reaffirms the standing observations I'm getting from everyone that this is a team of great athletes who are soft and can't shoot (and KZ).
Except the final was 75-70, so we didn't.
I went to the game tonight. Some observations
- It's been a long time since Stanford had the best player on the court in a game vs. Arizona. It wasn't even close tonight. KZ dominated
- They weren't bad (unlike last weekend and other weeks before then), but they weren't good enough
- The 4-min mental lapse from about 9 mins left to 5 mins left squandered the lead and they never got it back
- Awful FT shooting
- I really hope Ryan is OK. It was encouraging to see him come back out of the locker room in the final minute and put weight on that ankle

Still looks like about a 12-18 team
(01-09-2019, 11:58 PM)winflop Wrote: [ -> ]I went to the game tonight. Some observations
- It's been a long time since Stanford had the best player on the court in a game vs. Arizona. It wasn't even close tonight. KZ dominated
- They weren't bad (unlike last weekend and other weeks before then), but they weren't good enough
- The 4-min mental lapse from about 9 mins left to 5 mins left squandered the lead and they never got it back
- Awful FT shooting
- I really hope Ryan is OK. It was encouraging to see him come back out of the locker room in the final minute and put weight on that ankle

Where are you finding 12 wins?

BC
(01-10-2019, 11:32 AM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2019, 11:58 PM)winflop Wrote: [ -> ]I went to the game tonight. Some observations
- Awful FT shooting

BC

The team with the higher Sagarin ranking has won every single game we've played this season.

We're 7-8, which means 5 more wins puts us at 12. According to Sagarin, we're #122, about dead even with #118 Utah and decisively better than #170 Wazzu and #188 Kal. Getting Utah at home this season means winning that and beating Kal and Wazzu twice gives us 5 more wins.
(01-10-2019, 11:32 AM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]
- Awful FT shooting

BC

Just as it's really hard to get 12+ wins in the Pac-12, it's also really hard to get 12+ losses.
I'm no longer watching men's hoops at this point, but the box score shows Da Silva took four three-point shots against Arizona and missed all four. He's now under 24 percent for the year.

How/why does Haase allow this to continue?
Two of DaSilva’ s shots were in and out. Just an FYI
(01-10-2019, 07:51 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Two of  DaSilva’ s shots were in and out.  Just an FYI

"There are no points for second place" -- Viper, "Top Gun"
(01-10-2019, 09:27 PM)winflop Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2019, 07:51 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Two of  DaSilva’ s shots were in and out.  Just an FYI

"There are no points for second place" -- Viper, "Top Gun"

Ah, but Gaylord Focker got a ribbon for 9th place.
Pages: 1 2