The CardBoard

Full Version: Alleged large-scale test-cheating ring to get athletes into Stanford, other schools
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Per a Department of Justice indictment: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fed...ot-n982136

Unclear whether the students in question actually got in to Stanford

This story is taking a turn for the weirder: 

I am shocked--shocked!--to learn that USC is involved.

Quote:The documents say the Loughlin and her husband "agreed to pay bribes totaling $500,000 in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the USC crew team -- despite the fact that they did not participate in crew -- thereby facilitating their admission to USC."
I have not yet seen any details indicating that actual athletes were involved. It appears that part of the scheme included getting a coach to represent an applicant not involved in the sport as a recruit. The story linked by burger involved a student represented as a recruit for USC crew when the student didn't even participate in crew. NBC just reported that a "sailing student at Stanford" was involved. Not clear whether they were actually involved with sailing at Stanford.
Quote:The alleged scheme focused on getting students admitted to elite universities as recruited athletes, regardless of their athletic abilities, and helping potential students cheat on their college exams, according to the indictment unsealed in Boston.
The plot involved students who attended or were seeking to attend Georgetown University, Stanford University, UCLA, the University of San Diego, USC, University of Texas, Wake Forest, and Yale, according to federal prosecutors.

There's no indication that the schools were involved in any of the wrong-doing.

In all, 44 people, some of them college coaches, have been charged thus far.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fed...ot-n982136
Buzzfeed published the court docs.

I have not skimmed through all of it, but USC men's water polo coach Jovan Vavic is mentioned as a coach targeted to receive a bribe.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jul...e-cheating
(03-12-2019, 08:08 AM)82 Card Wrote: [ -> ]I have not yet seen any details indicating that actual athletes were involved. It appears that part of the scheme included getting a coach to represent an applicant not involved in the sport as a recruit. The story linked by burger involved a student represented as a recruit for USC crew when the student didn't even participate in crew. NBC just reported that a "sailing student at Stanford" was involved. Not clear whether they were actually involved with sailing at Stanford.

Stanford sailing coach, John Vandemour, among those charged.
https://www.insidehighered.com/admission...ions-fraud
Stanford may be involved, but isn't it about time U$C got the death penalty, or some other sizable hammer dropped on it? It's news when they aren't involved in a cheating scandal of some sort.

Can't wait to read the indictment...
Among coaches indicted are current Stanford sailing coach John Vandemoer, former Yale women's soccer coach Rudy Meredith, former Georgetown tennis coach Gordie Ernst, several USC Olympic sports coaches, current UCLA men's soccer coach Jorge Salcedo and current Texas men's tennis coach Michael Center.

TMZ reports that USC senior associate athletic director Dr. Donna Heinel, ex-USC women's head soccer coach Ali Khosroshahin and ex-assistant soccer coach Laura Janke are all named as well as current USC men's water polo head coach Jovan Vavic.

Also indicted - Mark Riddell, the Director of College Entrance Exam Preparation at IMG Academy
Jorge Salcedo is kind of a funny name -- he drives UCLA fans (somewhat justifiably) crazy because he keeps on recruiting loaded teams that never win titles.
(03-12-2019, 09:05 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote: [ -> ]Stanford may be involved, but isn't it about time U$C got the death penalty, or some other sizable hammer dropped on it? It's news when they aren't involved in a cheating scandal of some sort.
This isn't actually athletic cheating, it's admissions cheating using the athletic department as a way in.  So the athletic department is involved but this is kind of reverse athletic cheating: it actually weakens the teams rather than strengthens them. But I'm all for calling it lack of A.D. oversight (which it is) and levying penalties.

No statement from Stanford yet; it appears they were caught by surprise.
(03-12-2019, 09:27 AM)Spiny_Norman Wrote: [ -> ]Among coaches indicted are current Stanford sailing coach John Vandemoer, former Yale women's soccer coach Rudy Meredith, former Georgetown tennis coach Gordie Ernst, several USC Olympic sports coaches, current UCLA men's soccer coach Jorge Salcedo and current Texas men's tennis coach Michael Center.

TMZ reports that USC senior associate athletic director Dr. Donna Heinel, ex-USC women's head soccer coach Ali Khosroshahin and ex-assistant soccer coach Laura Janke are all named as well as current USC men's water polo head coach Jovan Vavic.

Also indicted - Mark Riddell, the Director of College Entrance Exam Preparation at IMG Academy

This is a journalists dream. Rich and famous people doing bad things, elite schools involved, country club sports with shady behavior. And while the schools all get egg on their face, they also show what powerful people are willing to do to get their kids in.
Here's the full list of indictments:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/investig...ery-scheme

BC
Lots of angles here. I'd guess all of the coaches will be placed on administrative leave and eventually be shown the door, one way or another. But it will be interested to see how the schools react.
USC's interim president to the university community - "USC is a victim" in this scheme.

"The government has repeatedly informed us that it views USC as a victim and that these employees purposefully deceived USC."

https://pressroom.usc.edu/letter-from-us...stigation/
(03-12-2019, 09:27 AM)Spiny_Norman Wrote: [ -> ]Among coaches indicted are current Stanford sailing coach John Vandemoer, former Yale women's soccer coach Rudy Meredith, former Georgetown tennis coach Gordie Ernst, several USC Olympic sports coaches, current UCLA men's soccer coach Jorge Salcedo and current Texas men's tennis coach Michael Center.

Not a surprise that this happens in Olympic non-revenue sports for two reasons.  1) Coaches don't make a lot of money as coaches of these sports so they are more susceptible to schemes to supplement their income.  2) The admissions departments and athletic directors really have no basis for determing who really is an elite recruit and depend 100% on coach recommendations in these sports.

As a former Stanford sailor, it is sad to see Stanford and Coach V get caught up in this. Very disappointing. Stanford doesn't get admissions pull for many recruits in sailing each year and they generally have been pulling in Olympic and nationally ranked level talent so I don't think this could have been too widespread, but one time is too many.
(03-12-2019, 09:48 AM)needle Wrote: [ -> ]Lots of angles here. I'd guess all of the coaches will be placed on administrative leave and eventually be shown the door, one way or another. But it will be interested to see how the schools react.

I think all of these coaches are gone. Because the athletic departments either play by the rules and don't tolerate the behavior or they are relieved that it isn't hitting their revenue sports so they can look tough in getting rid of the coaches. It's an athletic scandal, but it is primarily about admissions and not athletics.
I don’t Think these “recruits” ever got on the teams. My understanding from reading an earlier article (lost to time and my memory now) is that they just used the coaches’ recommendations as a plus sign on their admissions. Is that wrong? (Not asking about the morality but the accuracy) ?
It seems one of the SC ADs (not necessarily Swann, as the tweet has it) may be tangentially involved: 

(03-12-2019, 10:13 AM)CowboyIndian Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t Think these “recruits” ever got on the teams. My understanding from reading an earlier article (lost to time and my memory now) is that they just used the coaches’ recommendations as a plus sign on their admissions. Is that wrong? (Not asking about the morality but the accuracy) ?

That is my understanding as well, but I haven't read the complaint.

I feel bad for the athletes who actually practiced and trained hard to get good enough to be potential Stanford recruits who were passed over for a few rich kids.

BC
I went to an elite high school and saw so much cheating that I mailed in my high school grades to go the JC route. There are certainly very smart, talented and authentic high performing students, but I got pissed seeing many of the so called "good kids" cheat to get their grades, to get into bigger schools, then party all the time. I know one of the cheaters went to USC of all places.

It sucks to see so much lying and cheating in society.  This kind of academic fraud is more nauseating because it gives kids who were already given advantages over less fortunate, the chance to have a do-over if a lesser privileged kid worked his/her ass off to get an elite opportunity over a privileged one. The indictment is gross.

All we can do is try to hold cheaters and law breakers accountable.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17