The CardBoard

Full Version: Turley Gone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Per tweets.
Not that it matters, but do we ever find out what precipitated this departure?
From tweets, the team was reportedly told the news last week.  End of an era.

Turley was instrumental in hiring Pass from Texas.

BC
How would Turley in one department and suspended have anything to do with Pass in another department?
Slightly OT but I just read the article that goes with this video in print over the weekend re: strength coaches.

http://www.si.com/college-football/video...aaron-feld
Some more info, though not much (free article)...

https://stanford.rivals.com/news/stanfor...ning-coach

BC
Quote:The official statement from the school read thusly: “Coach Shannon Turley no longer works at Stanford. As this is a personnel matter, we will not be providing further information.” 

https://247sports.com/college/stanford/A...131236316/
(04-15-2019, 08:52 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]Some more info, though not much (free article)...

BC

Only insight was that it is rumored to have been an issue between Turley and a former player but no details. Given that this was handled by the University and not within the Athletic Department, I wonder what if anything can be learned from that?
Maybe the former player will share their side of things. I'd say there's about a 20 percent chance of that happening, as the player might be motivated to ensure that any potential employers know what they'd be getting if they hire Turley.
(04-16-2019, 10:34 AM)needle Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe the former player will share their side of things. I'd say there's about a 20 percent chance of that happening, as the player might be motivated to ensure that any potential employers know what they'd be getting if they hire Turley.

Personnel policies aren't made for the public getting good closure - quite the opposite. And note that it doesn't say a former football player, so for all we know it involved a student in another sport and could have transpired either while he was working with the football team or once he became director of sports performance. That's a span of more than a decade and potentially thousands of student athletes.

Given how vaguely worded it was, I don't even think it's worth speculating. Appreciate everything he did for our team, wish him well in future endeavors, and onward we go!
Given how many former players have lauded Turley, the notion his ouster involves a former player is head scratching to say the least.
(04-16-2019, 11:01 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote: [ -> ]Given how many former players have lauded Turley, the notion his ouster involves a former player is head scratching to say the least.

Why? I'm not saying his dismissal has anything to do with #metoo type stuff, but haven't all those scandals shown that you can be a saint to 100 people and abusive toward one, and you're still an abuser? I just think disproving the existence of a black swan is a fool's errand when it comes to personnel matters. You can argue that an employee's history of excellent conduct should be weighed against whatever the infraction was, but we don't know what the infraction was, and I trust given how valuable Turley was to Stanford that his dismissal was not decided on lightly. I'd say there's not much to be gained here from speculating or second guessing, either for his sake or for ours. Getting more information here is likely to be unhelpful for everyone involved.
The supposed secret is out on TOS. Got to say that my athlete friends and I did a bit of it in HS IF TRUE. Mostly in cars in the back seat. And mostly at SH guys and old ladies Downtown.
(04-16-2019, 11:13 AM)2006alum Wrote: [ -> ]Getting more information here is likely to be unhelpful for everyone involved.

Tell that to Phogge (insert wink emoji)

While I agree in principle, it always helps to know what happened, from a history standpoint, so we can try to understand - or even prevent - similar future incidents wherever and whenever they should occur.

That said, I'm more curious to see who Turley's replacement will be. He seemed to have a unique approach that maybe most S&C coaches don't.  Will Stanford promote from within to continue The Turley philosophy, or will it go get someone from outside, who you know will want to put their own spin on things and has their own ideas about how to run a S&C program?
(04-15-2019, 08:52 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]Some more info, though not much (free article)...

BC

I think that Jacob Rayburn hits on a key point about Turley's role.

Quote: [Turley] considered it to be an important part of his job to shape the culture of the team and, in his opinion, it had suffered a decline that needed to be corrected . . . Turley practically ran the program once spring football ends and the coaches have to keep away from instructing the players. And once the summer conditioning program began it was famous for testing the physical strength and mental willpower of the players.

Turley essentially was the primary adult/coach/leader of the team from mid April to mid August - 4 months of training and preparation. 

Look at it this way - Shaw coaches/leads the team for 8 months, Turley for 4. That's an important role to fill, maybe as important as any other position on the staff. One would think that Shaw will have to go outside the school to replace Turley, not promote from within. I don't see anyone on staff who has much experience leading a sports performance program. That will be tough. Shaw and Turley had worked together since University of San Diego in 2006.
Turley wasn't doing anything unique to Stanford. The S&C virtually runs the whole off season program for all college football teams. 

This is arguably the worst time of year to change a CFB S&C coach, but I would imagine Shaw has been proactive about finding a replacement given he had to know WTF was going on for a while now.  

It will be quite interesting to see who the new S&C coach is, as well as what stays, what goes, and what is going to be done differently with a new leader in place.
(04-16-2019, 11:01 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote: [ -> ]Given how many former players have lauded Turley, the notion his ouster involves a former player is head scratching to say the least.

Not at all.  All it takes is one person with an axe to grind witnessing someone doing something one time and deciding to report it.

And my sense is that Turley was universally respected, but not universally liked.  His job was to get the players in shape, not be their friend.

BC
(04-16-2019, 02:00 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]

Not at all.  All it takes is one person with an axe to grind witnessing someone doing something one time and deciding to report it.

And my sense is that Turley was universally respected, but not universally liked.  His job was to get the players in shape, not be their friend.

BC

Given that any alleged transgression going back decades can now derail a persons life, who knows when this occurred.
Hey Phogge that facebook post probably isn't the reason.
Pages: 1 2 3