The CardBoard

Full Version: HISTORY WAS MADE! -- Baseball vs Cal Poly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Had totally slipped my mind, but it's on. 0-0, Mid 2.

http://pac-12.com/live/stanford-university
Daschbach just crushed a home run.  1-0 Stanford.

Kinamon hits a deep grounder and gets thrown out at 2nd on a good play by the center fielder

Tawa doubles with one hopper over the right field wall.

And . . . Bellafronto doubles and Tawa scores. 2-0
(05-14-2019, 06:31 PM)martyup Wrote: [ -> ]Daschbach just crushed a home run.  1-0 Stanford.

And . . . Bellafronto doubles and Tawa scores.  2-0

I blinked and missed it but I believe Kinamon tried to stretch a single into a double and was tagged out at second. So 4 straight hits to open B2?!
Now 2-0 heading into T3.
(05-14-2019, 06:36 PM)JJJ Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-14-2019, 06:31 PM)martyup Wrote: [ -> ]Daschbach just crushed a home run.  1-0 Stanford.

And . . . Bellafronto doubles and Tawa scores.  2-0

I blinked and missed it but I believe Kinamon tried to stretch a single into a double and was tagged out at second. So 4 straight hits to open B2?!
Now 2-0 heading into T3.

Accurate. Minor nitpick but we make too many outs on the base paths trying to stretch singles into doubles. Maverick is especially guilty of this in my opinion. I like the aggressiveness but our hitters are too good to be gifting opposing defenses free outs.
3rd inning and the Mustangs are on their 3rd pitcher.

Wulff was just robbed of a HR with an over-the-wall catch in center field. Nice play by the Cal Poly outfielder.

Daschbach with another HR.  3-0
Williams pitching a nice game.  After 6 innings, he's allowed just 2 hits.  77 pitches.

OMG!!! Daschbach with another beautiful HR blast.  That's 3 homers tonight! Now 5-0

And . . . he hit them on three different pitchers.

First time in over 19 years that a Stanford player has hit 3 homers in a single game.

Mustangs bring in their 5th pitcher to start the 7th inning.
WOW--Dasch-bombs galore!!!

Make that FOUR for Daschbach.
MAKE IT 4!!!

Against 4 different pitchers.

4 for 4. Dingers. ON FIRE.

What a night. Congrats to Dash.
Mr Baseball you nailed it
Stanford sports history was made last night.  Against Cal Poly SLO, Daschbach had 4 at bats against 4 different pitchers.  In each at bat he hit a home run.  He is the first player in Stanford history to hit 4 home runs in a single game.  Fantastic performance!
(05-15-2019, 07:10 AM)martyup Wrote: [ -> ]Stanford sports history was made last night.  Against Cal Poly SLO, Daschbach had 4 at bats against 4 different pitchers.  In each at bat he hit a home run.  He is the first player in Stanford history to hit 4 home runs in a single game.  Fantastic performance!

And left, left center, right center, and right.
Farhan knows who he is now. Haven’t seen him play. How is his range and arm?
You'd never know it by going to the useless Pac-12 site.  Not one mention of this historic feat on the freaking home page, or even the Baseball page. Daschbach's performance was as impressive as the Pac-12's effort to promote the accomplishment by one of its own is pathetic.
Do you think he has an outside shot at Pac-12 Player of the Week?

-m.
(05-15-2019, 09:26 AM)Langdude Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think he has an outside shot at Pac-12 Player of the Week?

-m.

There's a little more to that question than you might think (though of course I don't know what you might be thinking).

Most of the time, Pac-12 players of the week are connected to performances in the more prominent weekend series. However, most of the time nobody has a player hitting four home runs in four at bats in a single game.

Of course Daschbach could end any idle speculation by merely hitting a few more over the weekend.
(05-15-2019, 01:50 PM)CTcard Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-15-2019, 09:26 AM)Langdude Wrote: [ -> ]Do you think he has an outside shot at Pac-12 Player of the Week?

-m.

There's a little more to that question than you might think (though of course I don't know what you might be thinking).

Most of the time, Pac-12 players of the week are connected to performances in the more prominent weekend series. However, most of the time nobody has a player hitting four home runs in four at bats in a single game.

Of course Daschbach could end any idle speculation by merely hitting a few more over the weekend.

I was asking it tongue in cheek, because it was such a singular performance that I can't imagine they'll bypass it, but I take your point that weekend series are weighed more heavily, generally speaking.

-m.
All four HRs in one clip:

And gostanford.com did cover it properly:

Quote:Andrew Daschbach made history as the first Cardinal to ever hit four home runs in a game, leading No. 3 Stanford to a 7-1 win over Cal Poly on Tuesday night.

"I've never seen a performance like that in my entire career as a coach, nor as a player," said the Clarke and Elizabeth Nelson Director of Baseball David Esquer. "Daschbach picked up the team on his shoulders tonight, and we certainly needed it tonight when we were lacking other forms of offense. The next two weekends will be against Super Regional-quality teams, so it will give us a chance to test ourselves and figure out what we need to do to win in the postseason."

Daschbach left the yard in all four plate appearances, finishing with 16 total bases and five RBI while homering off of four different Cal Poly pitchers. Starting pitcher Alex Williams was phenomenal, allowing one run on four hits in a career-high 7.2 innings, striking out three without allowing a walk.

Quote:Cardinal Notes
  • It was Daschbach's second multi-home run game of the season, upping his career total to 32, which leads all active Cardinal. Daschbach is the first Cardinal since June 15, 2000, to hit at least three in a game (Edmund Muth) and the only player in Division I baseball this season to hit four.
  • Daschbach is the second player in Pac-12 history to hit four home runs -- UCLA's Bill Scott hit four in a game against Washington on March 30, 1999.
  • Daschbach's 16 total bases were the most of any Pac-12 player in a game by five – Daschbach had 11 total bases in a win at Oregon (April 19). No other Pac-12 player has homered three or more times in a game this season.
  • Stanford has hit at least one home run in 18-of-19 games with 54 in its last 23 games. It was the 18th game of hitting multiple home runs and 15th time in 23 games.
  • Williams is the second Cardinal pitcher to throw at least 7.2 innings – Brendan Beck tossed 8.0 innings against Texas (March 7).

http://gostanford.com/news/2019/5/14/bas...story.aspx
The announcers seem to barely pay attention to the game.  They nearly missed the second HR and treated the 3rd like it was a run-of-the-mill base hit.  Only on the 4th HR did they even animate their voices with a little excitement.  Jeez, you have one job ... DO IT WITH GUSTO!

I was in bed watching the livestream and my wife was nagging me to turn it off.  I told her that I wanted to see Dash's last at bat before I shut it down.  It was worth enduring the wrath of the wife to watch that 4th homer.
Pages: 1 2