The CardBoard

Full Version: Cormac Ryan entering transfer portal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(06-05-2019, 06:21 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]With the lawsuit against Walton he would never be considered

Some insiders didn’t like the idea of Turner several years ago.  But looking in I do

Totally forgot about the lawsuit. Definitely a nonstarter.
(06-05-2019, 06:21 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]With the lawsuit against Walton he would never be considered

Some insiders didn’t like the idea of Turner several years ago.  But looking in I do

If insiders didn't like the idea of Turner before, I doubt his candidacy would fare any better in the aftermath of the Louis King debacle.
I said some insiders to be clear. No idea what John A thinks

Talk about poor timing

https://mobile.twitter.com/coreyevans_10...8371325953
Carlson’s official visit this weekend
I was not aware that Sheffield had already grad transferred...to Elon College

https://247sports.com/college/stanford/A...132623115/

This is a program in trouble...AGAIN
Yiiiikes. It's like our men's and women's programs share a total quantum of success and more for the women means less for the men. Just when we're looking to return to the top of women's basketball, the men's program is rapidly sinking. 

I really wanted things to work out with Haase, but I agree that when you're losing players like this, it's not a good look, and it may be time to make a move. Stanford is a 40-year decision, so for a player like Ryan - who had a ton of playing time last season - to walk away suggests something is really wrong. He was an academy kid, so he clearly cared about academics. If his decision weren't coming off of Sheffield, Travis, and Cartwright, we could chalk it up to a fluke. But the pattern's clear here and it's no bueno.
In the Bay Area alone St. Mary’s and USF have better programs.
It’s pretty comical anyone here thinks Luke Walton would give up an NBA gig with a promising young team (Sacramento), to come try returning Stanford to a contender with all its recruiting restrictions
Elon’s new coach is the guy who recruited Sheffield to Stanford, Mike Schage

More comical to think that Sacramento hires Walton with a sexual assault lawsuit over his head
From what I've read, 2020 is supposed to be the break-through recruiting class. I have no idea why Cormac plans to leave, but--and this is coming from a Haase apologist--Ryan's departure does not bode well for 2019-20 or the future of Stanford basketball.

Having said that, I would still give Haase next year to show improvement on the court and demonstrate that he can hold together a quality recruiting class in the face of these setbacks. I'm guessing that at least some of the potential future coaches will still be available in March 2020.
(06-05-2019, 09:19 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Elon’s new coach is the guy who recruited Sheffield to Stanford, Mike Schage  

More comical to think that Sacramento hires Walton with a sexual assault lawsuit over his head

This is a wee bit unfair, Bob. For one, the allegation was only revealed after Walton was hired by the Kings. And two, we have seen ample evidence of women exaggerating or making stuff up to extract money from men.  The Walton case is a civil suit after all. Look at the sad story of Reuben Foster as Exhibit A. 

I'm not going to claim any allegations against Walton should be dismissed out of - or make light of - the issue at hand, but we must remember we live in an innocent until proven guilty society.  Too often people are convicted in the court of public opinion and have their reputations and future earning potential ruined by others.

I've been accused of taking liberties with a woman I absolutely did not, and been socially shunned as a result. It is exasperating.  In my case it didn't have any impact on my professional life. I can only imagine how awful and frustrating it must be when it does.
Hire Bill Walton. Tye dyed unis, existential readings at halftime. A seance searching for Jake Scott. Halftime Patti Hearst and Wendy Yoshimuro lookalike contests. Macrame giveaways. Socks to the knee. Anything would be more entertaining than current men’s hoops.
(06-05-2019, 10:38 PM)Papa John Wrote: [ -> ]From what I've read, 2020 is supposed to be the break-through recruiting class. I have no idea why Cormac plans to leave, but--and this is coming from a Haase apologist--Ryan's departure does not bode well for 2019-20 or the future of Stanford basketball.

Having said that, I would still give Haase next year to show improvement on the court and demonstrate that he can hold together a quality recruiting class in the face of these setbacks. I'm guessing that at least some of the potential future coaches will still be available in March 2020.

I have no doubt Haase will get the coming season, but if there isn't improvement from the last 3 years he needs to go.
(06-06-2019, 07:33 AM)winflop Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-05-2019, 10:38 PM)Papa John Wrote: [ -> ]From what I've read, 2020 is supposed to be the break-through recruiting class. I have no idea why Cormac plans to leave, but--and this is coming from a Haase apologist--Ryan's departure does not bode well for 2019-20 or the future of Stanford basketball.

I have no doubt Haase will get the coming season, but if there isn't improvement from the last 3 years he needs to go.

If there (somehow) is improvement from the last 3 years given the attrition of KZ, Sharma, Sheff, and Ryan...Haase is a miracle worker and I’ll worship the ground he walks on.

Not gonna happen.
Muir should start a coaching search on the DL and pick up the first gem that is available and willing.  If no good candidates are available,  keep Hasse and keep searching.  Even if he has to fire him during next season, he should do it for the sake of the program.  But, he should only pull the trigger if an excellent replacement is found.
UCLA had a top 50 list when they were looking for a replacement for Steve Alford. They got none of them.

It's really really tough to find a good college head coach. Someone who can recruit well, teach and push the players such that they improve their games and also prepare for and beat opponents. It's even tougher when you overlay the Stanford admission restrictions. 

One of the best at all of these phases is completely toxic - Bruce Pearl. Great coach. Amoral jerk of a person. Men's college hoops really is sinking into a cesspool. I don't know how teams can be successful without wading into it.
(06-06-2019, 11:32 AM)martyup Wrote: [ -> ]Muir should start a coaching search on the DL and pick up the first gem that is available and willing.  If no good candidates are available,  keep Hasse and keep searching.  Even if he has to fire him during next season, he should do it for the sake of the program.  But, he should only pull the trigger if an excellent replacement is found.

I expect an excellent replacement might have second thoughts about taking a job with a school that fires the coach in the middle of the season with two years left on his contract, especially if the job search is on the DL.
(06-06-2019, 03:53 PM)Goose Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-06-2019, 11:32 AM)martyup Wrote: [ -> ]Muir should start a coaching search on the DL and pick up the first gem that is available and willing.  If no good candidates are available,  keep Hasse and keep searching.  Even if he has to fire him during next season, he should do it for the sake of the program.  But, he should only pull the trigger if an excellent replacement is found.

I expect an excellent replacement might have second thoughts about taking a job with a school that fires the coach in the middle of the season with two years left on his contract, especially if the job search is on the DL.

"I'm worried you might fire me if I'm bad at my job"
Rick Pitino is off on a "Greek Adventure, coaching Panathinaikos so he is not available I take it.  [I kid]  

Amaker does not make $1 million at Harvard -- why can't we afford him?  

At Harvard since 2007, he won 7 Ivy League Championships, regular season (2011–2015, 2018, 2019)
Great record at Duke as player (1983-87), and then Asst Coach at Duke to 1998, when BDevils won the back to back NCAA crowns (91 + 92)
(06-06-2019, 04:08 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote: [ -> ]"I'm worried you might fire me if I'm bad at my job"

No, I m worried that you will not be honest with me about your evaluation of my efforts, will not give me the support, patience and time I need to be successful, and are basically not an honest person. Since I am a good coach, I am not going to take a chance on being stabbed in the back. I don't need to.
I'm sure any prospective coach would understand Stanford's reasons for wanting to make a change.  Hasse's failures are public knowledge.  Also, it is public knowlege how Muir gave Dawkins plenty of time to prove himself.  The program is fully supported by the AD.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5