The CardBoard

Full Version: Cormac Ryan entering transfer portal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(06-10-2019, 07:23 PM)JJJ Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-10-2019, 05:14 PM)Papa John Wrote: [ -> ]Of course I'm not satisfied with the current state of Cardinal basketball, but I remind myself that it was worse during my first two undergraduate years at Stanford and the men's basketball coach was Dick DiBiaso.

We didn't have any trouble scoring great seats, though! 8)

So true, JJJ! Although I'm not sure how the Maples student section layout in 2019 compares to the layout in, say, 1981.
(06-10-2019, 10:35 PM)Papa John Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-10-2019, 05:14 PM)Papa John Wrote: [ -> ]Of course I'm not satisfied with the current state of Cardinal basketball, but I remind myself that it was worse during my first two undergraduate years at Stanford and the men's basketball coach was Dick DiBiaso.

So true, JJJ! Although I'm not sure how the Maples student section layout in 2019 compares to the layout in, say, 1981.

I liked that 1981 seating.  Of course, I was sitting in the visitor's side during SCU's 62-60 win...;).
(06-11-2019, 08:36 PM)Mick Wrote: [ -> ]I liked that 1981 seating.  Of course, I was sitting in the visitor's side during SCU's 62-60 win...;).

In 1981-82, Stanford men's basketball finished 6-20 and 2-16 (dead last) in the Pac-10. We played our first five games at Maples and won four of five: wins versus US International (?), Harvard, Furman (the University, not Mark), and LMU; the loss versus Penn. We also swept Oregon home and away. 

I'm certainly not claiming that these are the glory days for men's basketball, but it's been much worse.

I liked that 1981 seating.  Of course, I was sitting in the visitor's side during SCU's 62-60 win...;).  

Sad that the series has lapsed.  SCU and Stanford used to play every year, then there were a few two year hiatuses (hiatii?).  1971-1975 was the first four year hiatus, and there have been a few since then.  Now, it's going on 11 years.  The last time Stanford played Santa Clara was 2008, the first year Davey helped coach Stanford.  Apparently, that was the kicker.
(06-12-2019, 03:15 AM)Mick Wrote: [ -> ]

Sad that the series has lapsed.  SCU and Stanford used to play every year, then there were a few two year hiatuses (hiatii?).  1971-1975 was the first four year hiatus, and there have been a few since then.  Now, it's going on 11 years.  The last time Stanford played Santa Clara was 2008, the first year Davey helped coach Stanford.  Apparently, that was the kicker.

Well do Steve Nash, Kurt Rambis and Dennis Awtrey have any eligibility left?
Nope. Neither does Kenny Sears.
(06-12-2019, 12:14 AM)Papa John Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2019, 08:36 PM)Mick Wrote: [ -> ]I liked that 1981 seating.  Of course, I was sitting in the visitor's side during SCU's 62-60 win...;).

In 1981-82, Stanford men's basketball finished 6-20 and 2-16 (dead last) in the Pac-10. We played our first five games at Maples and won four of five: wins versus US International (?), Harvard, Furman (the University, not Mark), and LMU; the loss versus Penn. We also swept Oregon home and away. 

I'm certainly not claiming that these are the glory days for men's basketball, but it's been much worse.

Thank you for pouring lemon juice on a paper cut. I was one of the assistant team managers that year and saw every one of the games at Maples. I even got to watch Stanford get swept in Seattle and Pullman too!
Ogden brothers also out of eligibility
What was their dad know for ? Phogge?
(06-12-2019, 03:15 AM)Mick Wrote: [ -> ]Sad that the series has lapsed.  SCU and Stanford used to play every year, then there were a few two year hiatuses (hiatii?).  1971-1975 was the first four year hiatus, and there have been a few since then.  Now, it's going on 11 years.  The last time Stanford played Santa Clara was 2008, the first year Davey helped coach Stanford.  Apparently, that was the kicker.

The plural of hiatus is... hiatus or hiatuses.

BC
(06-12-2019, 07:08 AM)Spiny_Norman Wrote: [ -> ]

Thank you for pouring lemon juice on a paper cut. I was one of the assistant team managers that year and saw every one of the games at Maples. I even got to watch Stanford get swept in Seattle and Pullman too!

So we were definitely breathing the same air back then! That was my frosh year, and since Steve Brown and Charles Hunt (RIP) lived in Roble, we made it a point to go to as many games as possible.  Sometimes, it seemed there were more people on the floor (counting the bench and people working) than in the stands... Other '85ers that year I believe were Johnny Rodgers (who transferred out) and Kent Seymour. The more established were Brian Welch, Doug Marty, John Revelli, (Keith Jones was out that year) etc...

*Apologies for the thread drift. I'm quite sure we covered this ground once before with all the premature departures from back then (or was that on Facebook?) including Hans Wichary and Andy Fischer (RIP to both).
Wow, this thread drifted HARD.

The 90s were the glory days. That was 20 years ago. Since then, it's not been that great with a couple of exceptions in the Montgomery/Johnson era in the early 2000s.

Unfortunately those times set an expectation that Dawkins and now Haase have been incapable of even coming close to. I for one am not going to lower my standards. I will not accept the mediocrity of the past decade-plus and as a fan & donor I will continue to press Muir to hire a coach who can do better.
Two of Monty’s last 4 years were 30 win seasons. The other two 20 and 24. That’s great
Did Ogdens’ dad play in the PCL? I’m in Graeagle with 40 SI classmates including Joe Diffley who was a starting guard on the Ogden teams. I’ll ask him tomorrow.
Anyone thinking Tara might be an alternative?  It takes care of the women’s BB coaching transition, and I can’t help but wonder if she’s interested in a new challenge.
The Ogden brothers Dad was awarded the Medal of Honor WW2
(06-13-2019, 08:23 AM)Poly81 Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone thinking Tara might be an alternative?  It takes care of the women’s BB coaching transition, and I can’t help but wonder if she’s interested in a new challenge.

I honestly doubt coaching pros is a meaningful challenge for Tara. She’s at the point in her career where retirement is always a realistic option. And she has a couple of great recruiting classes in the pipeline, so maybe that could be the denouement.
(06-12-2019, 07:58 PM)JJJ Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-12-2019, 07:08 AM)Spiny_Norman Wrote: [ -> ]

So we were definitely breathing the same air back then! That was my frosh year, and since Steve Brown and Charles Hunt (RIP) lived in Roble, we made it a point to go to as many games as possible.  Sometimes, it seemed there were more people on the floor (counting the bench and people working) than in the stands... Other '85ers that year I believe were Johnny Rodgers (who transferred out) and Kent Seymour. The more established were Brian Welch, Doug Marty, John Revelli, (Keith Jones was out that year) etc...

*Apologies for the thread drift. I'm quite sure we covered this ground once before with all the premature departures from back then (or was that on Facebook?) including Hans Wichary and Andy Fischer (RIP to both).

That was a tough year!  Thanks for the reminder (I'd add the throw up emoji, but I don't know how).

Hate to add another to the RIP list, but Doug Wall (frosh in '82-'83, transferred to Nevada) died in a motorcycle accident in 1989.
(06-13-2019, 03:01 PM)qwerty49 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-13-2019, 08:23 AM)Poly81 Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone thinking Tara might be an alternative?  It takes care of the women’s BB coaching transition, and I can’t help but wonder if she’s interested in a new challenge.

I honestly doubt coaching pros is a meaningful challenge for Tara. She’s at the point in her career where retirement is always a realistic option. And she has a couple of great recruiting classes in the pipeline, so maybe that could be the denouement.

Ha! I thought Poly was suggesting Tara should replace Haase! If hiring the next coach is going to be a crapshoot if done the traditional way, why not go with a hall of famer!?!
(06-13-2019, 04:07 PM)bbm233 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-13-2019, 03:01 PM)qwerty49 Wrote: [ -> ]

Ha! I thought Poly was suggesting Tara should replace Haase! If hiring the next coach is going to be a crapshoot if done the traditional way, why not go with a hall of famer!?!

I was!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5