The CardBoard

Full Version: Thoughts out of season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lots of wariness, worry and pessimism on this board about the upcoming football season. Tough schedule, losing lots of playmakers and concerns about ILBs, safety positions and depth to name a few. All of these concerns are valid. 

A few things to keep in mind to temper some of this:

1. It’s college football. All teams have to worry about these kinds of things to some degree, especially turnover. 
2. Two of our biggest rivals in the North, the Washington schools, are breaking in new QB’s.  Two of our non-conference rivals, NW and UCF, are also breaking in new QBs. We are returning one of the best in the league. 
3. The conference schedule, while tough, is more favourable to us in odd years. We get Washington, Oregon and Cal at home. Also NW and ND at home. 
4. Several components of the pass defence could be really good to elite. Paulson Adebo is as good of a corner as we’ve had in years, and if reports are to be believed, Eboh could be really good. I think we have some excellent edge rushers, with considerable depth to boot. 
5. The D line has considerable playing time under their belts and has been marinading in the system for a few years now. 
6. Elite pass catching tight end in Parkinson, and some young receivers that look like they have some real playmaking abilities after the catch. 
7.  Reliable RB in Scarlett, who can catch the ball and knows the playbook cold. A couple of other veteran guys that seem at least serviceable, and one incoming freshman who by all accounts could be the next in a series of great Cardinal backs. 
8. A LT who has the potential to be a first round NFL pick. 
9. A fair bit of experience on the rest of the OL. 
10. Not sure about others views, and I know he doesn’t have much experience, but I am intrigued by what I saw during the spring game by Ricky Miezan at ILB. Big physical kid who can move and tackle. 

End of the day, I think much of the season comes down to whether the O line can stay healthy and gel. Some good pieces there, and if they perform so that we have a decent running game to complement what I think could be a very good passing game, it will take a lot of pressure off the defense. I could see this team going anywhere from 7-5 to 10-2.
Why worry? I just never got that even when I played. Just enjoy the entertainment. Duane Kuiper aside it shouldn’t be torture unless you have a financial interest in selling tickets. I think this team will be entertaining and so will the opponents. Aside from the question marks about Stanford some fascinating questions re the opponents:

- Can The Piratework work his magic again?
- Can Eason finally live up to his #1 prep ranking of four years ago?
- How many wins does Helton need to retain his job?
- Can Herman Edwards follow up his good season?
- What about the mystery team, ASU?
- Which Herbert shows up at Stanford Stadium?

Just have fun, it’s not the stock market fellows.
(08-03-2019, 10:36 AM)Phogge Wrote: [ -> ]- What about the mystery team, ASU?

Do we care? Stanford does not play ASU this season.
(08-03-2019, 08:43 PM)Spiny_Norman Wrote: [ -> ]

We might.
(08-03-2019, 08:43 PM)Spiny_Norman Wrote: [ -> ]

I guess that's how much of a mystery U of Arizona is, huh?
U of A no mystery. All about how Tate bounces back. Black and white. Preseason last year Voldemort candidate to not much hype this year. Most mock drafts have him going as a WR.
(08-04-2019, 08:27 AM)Phogge Wrote: [ -> ]U of A no mystery. All about how Tate bounces back. Black and white. Preseason last year Voldemort candidate to not much hype this year. Most mock drafts have him going as a WR.

There were many rumors that Tate would transfer when Sumlin got hired. They tried to make him a pocket passer last year. Really weird. Picture KJ trying to run the Chip Kelly Oregon offense - it's that in reverse.
(08-04-2019, 10:55 AM)SamuelMcF Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-04-2019, 08:27 AM)Phogge Wrote: [ -> ]U of A no mystery. All about how Tate bounces back. Black and white. Preseason last year Voldemort candidate to not much hype this year. Most mock drafts have him going as a WR.

There were many rumors that Tate would transfer when Sumlin got hired. They tried to make him a pocket passer last year. Really weird. Picture KJ trying to run the Chip Kelly Oregon offense - it's that in reverse.

For sure Tate and Sumlin (or Mazzone) didn't see eye-to-eye. Many say they still don't. However, Tate was hurt. His reduced rushing yardage was partly scheme and partly physical inability. He would fairly often have a running lane on a broken play and not attack it. The burst wasn't there. Last year, the OL was kind of a happening, and played better than it should have, given the talent level. This year probably will be no better, and could be worse, as there are 5 new guys to work in. They only have 12 OL including freshman and walk-ons. Their running backs will be very good again, but their receivers probably will regress at least some. They are in the same situation we are, with mostly new people with some limited experience. Even a healthy Tate probably will have trouble winning with this team. The defense is still not big, deep, or talented. So, it isn't just Tate that is in question.
(08-03-2019, 09:46 AM)pcgoode Wrote: [ -> ]Lots of wariness, worry and pessimism on this board about the upcoming football season. Tough schedule, losing lots of playmakers and concerns about ILBs, safety positions and depth to name a few. All of these concerns are valid. 

1. It’s college football. All teams have to worry about these kinds of things to some degree, especially turnover. 
2. Two of our biggest rivals in the North, the Washington schools, are breaking in new QB’s.  Two of our non-conference rivals, NW and UCF, are also breaking in new QBs. We are returning one of the best in the league. 
3. The conference schedule, while tough, is more favourable to us in odd years. We get Washington, Oregon and Cal at home. Also NW and ND at home. 
4. Several components of the pass defence could be really good to elite. Paulson Adebo is as good of a corner as we’ve had in years, and if reports are to be believed, Eboh could be really good. I think we have some excellent edge rushers, with considerable depth to boot. 
5. The D line has considerable playing time under their belts and has been marinading in the system for a few years now. 
6. Elite pass catching tight end in Parkinson, and some young receivers that look like they have some real playmaking abilities after the catch. 
7.  Reliable RB in Scarlett, who can catch the ball and knows the playbook cold. A couple of other veteran guys that seem at least serviceable, and one incoming freshman who by all accounts could be the next in a series of great Cardinal backs. 
10. Not sure about others views, and I know he doesn’t have much experience, but I am intrigued by what I saw during the spring game by Ricky Miezan at ILB. Big physical kid who can move and tackle. 

End of the day, I think much of the season comes down to whether the O line can stay healthy and gel. Some good pieces there, and if they perform so that we have a decent running game to complement what I think could be a very good passing game, it will take a lot of pressure off the defense. I could see this team going anywhere from 7-5 to 10-2.

I too was impressed by Ricky.  He has size, speed and willingness to hit, attributes you really can't teach.  I think our defense may well be a suprise.  We have a lot of talent and we shall see how it goes.
(08-04-2019, 12:15 PM)GK3 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2019, 09:46 AM)pcgoode Wrote: [ -> ]Lots of wariness, worry and pessimism on this board about the upcoming football season. Tough schedule, losing lots of playmakers and concerns about ILBs, safety positions and depth to name a few. All of these concerns are valid. 

I too was impressed by Ricky.  He has size, speed and willingness to hit, attributes you really can't teach.  I think our defense may well be a suprise.  We have a lot of talent and we shall see how it goes.

I've been sold on Ricky since the first open practice in his freshman year where I saw him make crushing tackles for 4 or 5 plays in a row. I think he's going to be a star.
The team will be perfectly fine, the schedule perfectly not.