The CardBoard

Full Version: My big feature on what made K.J. Costello
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey there,

I'll be back with more Stanford features on The Athletic this year — they were happy with the traction we got with some of my features on the team last year so it looks like I'll be able to write even more this season. 

First one: 3,000 words on K.J. Costello, the people from Orange County who helped mold him into the QB that he is, his position at the controls of an evolving Stanford offense, and more. Can he add to what Andrew Luck and Kevin Hogan helped build?

https://theathletic.com/1139327/2019/08/...ped-build/

Thank you for reading! I hope everyone enjoys the season.
(08-18-2019, 06:48 AM)davidmlombardi Wrote: [ -> ]Hey there,

I'll be back with more Stanford features on The Athletic this year — they were happy with the traction we got with some of my features on the team last year so it looks like I'll be able to write even more this season. 

First one: 3,000 words on K.J. Costello, the people from Orange County who helped mold him into the QB that he is, his position at the controls of an evolving Stanford offense, and more. Can he add to what Andrew Luck and Kevin Hogan helped build?

Tell your bosses to get a Bay Area college football reporter to cover each school. I subscribe to the Athletic, but want to see the Cal and Stanford logos on the CFB tab of The Athletic website!

Oh, and Stanford fans who read this article, rate it as awesome so the management at The Athletic sees Stanford football content is in demand.
Thank you! "Awesomes" and subscriptions through Stanford stories (even if they're just free trials) will help further indicate interest in the coverage. The handful of Stanford features I wrote last year did well, so I will have more chances to write on the Cardinal in this long-form style this year. Thank you for checking it out!

(08-18-2019, 06:55 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-18-2019, 06:48 AM)davidmlombardi Wrote: [ -> ]Hey there,

Tell your bosses to get a Bay Area college football reporter to cover each school. I subscribe to the Athletic, but want to see the Cal and Stanford logos on the CFB tab of The Athletic website!

Oh, and Stanford fans who read this article, rate it as awesome so the management at The Athletic sees Stanford football content is in demand.
Paywall? Bummer.
If you don't have a The Athletic subscription, you are being a sports fan wrong, or at least have lots of room to improve as one.
With respect I have enough to read without spending any more retirement money. Lombardi is a good guy and has a bright future.
This was awesome. Thanks so much, David.

For those complaining about the paywall: buy 1 less coffee a month. This is some of the best sports journalism out there (BECAUSE it's paid).
Love the moral judgements. Lol

Moving on
Just noticed a comment on that article that said "there will be more Stanford articles next year," and it was from from DL.

Does this mean The Athletic is getting a Stanford-dedicated reporter to cover football next year?
I will be writing more Stanford features on top of my 49ers duties. The more interest we get through pieces like this, the better obviously. But I promise to make it out to Stanford has much as possible. 

(08-18-2019, 10:12 AM)OutsiderFan Wrote: [ -> ]Just noticed a comment on that article that said "there will be more Stanford articles next year," and it was from from DL.

Does this mean The Athletic is getting a Stanford-dedicated reporter to cover football next year?
Read and rated awesome. Thanks for the heads up and please keep these articles coming!
Hey Sam, before you pop off, try living on SS. And I make my own coffee.
Phogge, dm me your name and email address and I’ll buy you a subscription. It’s routinely available for 40% off and costs like $2.99/ mo.
It's $1.99/month at the moment.  But it auto-renews in a year's time at $4.99/month.  Turns out I had a subscription before, and cheapskate that I am, I cancelled it just before auto-renew time.
Been a subscriber for awhile.  Keep'em coming. Thank you.
love the Athletic. Keep up the fine work!
Thanks to all of you for your kind words on this story and for checking it out. There will be more on the way after the season gets going....

(08-19-2019, 12:50 AM)yvonne Wrote: [ -> ]love the Athletic. Keep up the fine work!
Yup.  Subscribed yesterday.

(08-18-2019, 07:09 PM)qwerty49 Wrote: [ -> ]It's $1.99/month at the moment.  But it auto-renews in a year's time at $4.99/month.  Turns out I had a subscription before, and cheapskate that I am, I cancelled it just before auto-renew time.
1. Great piece, David.
2. I can echo what's been said here -- the Athletic is worth the price of admission. There's been some discussion recently about whether or not this is a sustainable model from a financial standpoint, but it's tremendous from a journalistic standpoint. What I value the most is the quality of the writing and reporting. I am proof that anyone can pretend to be a writer and push content out onto the internet, and while that means more content for everyone, it also dilutes the quality of that content considerably. You won't find that at the Athletic. Also, if you use the app (and probably the actual site, but I've never visited) you can tailor your stream to feed all your favorites, by team, by league, or by sport. I understand and respect the resistance to paying for sports content, but if you can get past that, this will be some of the best money you'll ever spend.
As of today The Athletic has 400 writers.  I don't know how much each is paid, but let's for a placeholder say each costs $100k annually.

It was reported in Bloomberg today that the site has hit 600k subs and they pay an average of $64.year.  I'm not sure how true this is, as most people including me are on intro deals for like $3/mo or something like that.  Anyway... using those numbers, the site is grossing about $38.4 million at the current time. If 400 writers get paid $100k  = $40 million writer expenses, plus G&A. They project to have 1M subs by year end.  That seems aggressive, but let's say they do. Now they are at $64M in revenue.  If they don't hire more than 100 more writers, they'll be profitable by year's end.

I don't understand how people are skeptical The Athletic can survive.  It has people paying for its service in great numbers and it has room to grow.  Is the thinking that you can't survive without selling ads?  Is the thinking the site must add video content? I don't get the skepticism.
Pages: 1 2