The CardBoard

Full Version: A problem with the Cardboard. . . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Cardboard works fine on my ancient Mac Pro desktop. It works fine on my iPhone. It doesn't work at all on my relatively new MacBook Pro. I can get to the front page, then with I click on any post, it simply reloads the same page. Same issue using Chrome and Safari. No other problems with any other sites. Cleared the cache and all such things to no avail. Any suggestions?
I have a 2014 MacBook Pro with a replaced mother board, hard drive (basically everything but the screen), running the latest OS.  Cardboard site works fine.

Now, on the iPad, when I type a post entry and the post button, I get message saying the post can't be made because it is empty, and it is.  But I click the browser back button, and there is my text.  If I close the keyboard control it can in some cases post.
I've never seen or heard of this. I don't have a Mac Pro to test it on. 

We're running behind one revision. Maybe updating will help.
I have a 2017 MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6.  CardBoard site works fine.
(08-25-2019, 12:27 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote: [ -> ]Now, on the iPad, when I type a post entry and the post button, I get message saying the post can't be made because it is empty, and it is.  But I click the browser back button, and there is my text.  If I close the keyboard control it can in some cases post.

I have same issue and same solution that works most times.
(08-25-2019, 12:28 PM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]I've never seen or heard of this. I don't have a Mac Pro to test it on. 

We're running behind one revision. Maybe updating will help.
Every day I find a new way to cobble up some computer. A special talent I seem to have. . . . .It's very, very odd. . . .
(08-25-2019, 12:27 PM)OutsiderFan Wrote: [ -> ]I have a 2014 MacBook Pro with a replaced mother board, hard drive (basically everything but the screen), running the latest OS.  Cardboard site works fine.

Now, on the iPad, when I type a post entry and the post button, I get message saying the post can't be made because it is empty, and it is.  But I click the browser back button, and there is my text.  If I close the keyboard control it can in some cases post.

Try turning off the wysiwyg editor, if it's on. The toggle is the last icon, the one that looks like a sheet of paper writing on it.

The wysiwyg editor doesn't seem to work well on Apple products and the board is configured to try to turn it off by default there, but it seems it gets turned on sometimes anyway.
(08-25-2019, 12:12 PM)cardcrimson Wrote: [ -> ]The Cardboard works fine on my ancient Mac Pro desktop. It works fine on my iPhone. It doesn't work at all on my relatively new MacBook Pro. I can get to the front page, then with I click on any post, it simply reloads the same page. Same issue using Chrome and Safari. No other problems with any other sites. Cleared the cache and all such things to no avail. Any suggestions?

I remember some reports of that from long ago, but I couldn't reproduce or understand it. Check what URL you have bookmarked and let us know what it is (copy/paste from the URL bar). If it's not https://thecardboard.org/board/ (with no more characters after that), try that.
Turns out we were down two maintenance releases. I've upgraded. Refresh your cache and see whether you can get in now.
(08-25-2019, 01:01 PM)CompSci87 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2019, 12:12 PM)cardcrimson Wrote: [ -> ]The Cardboard works fine on my ancient Mac Pro desktop. It works fine on my iPhone. It doesn't work at all on my relatively new MacBook Pro. I can get to the front page, then with I click on any post, it simply reloads the same page. Same issue using Chrome and Safari. No other problems with any other sites. Cleared the cache and all such things to no avail. Any suggestions?

I remember some reports of that from long ago, but I couldn't reproduce or understand it. Check what URL you have bookmarked and let us know what it is (copy/paste from the URL bar). If it's not https://thecardboard.org/board/ (with no more characters after that), try that.

That seemed to fix it. The book mark were from a long time ago. That and the cache I think. I recently went straight to the site from Google and it didn't function, must have linked to the old site in the cache. Thanks!
It would help if you'd copy/pasted the bad URL. We might be able to fix it so that URL would redirect to the good one, in case others have the same problem. Oh well.
<p>
(08-25-2019, 01:50 PM)CompSci87 Wrote: [ -> ]It would help if you'd copy/pasted the bad&nbsp;URL. We might be able to fix it so that URL would redirect to the good one, in case others have the same problem. Oh well.

</p><p><br></p><p>https://thecardboard.org/board/index.php/forumdisplay.php?fid=5<br></p>
(08-25-2019, 01:59 PM)cardcrimson Wrote: [ -> ]<p>
(08-25-2019, 01:50 PM)CompSci87 Wrote: [ -> ]It would help if you'd copy/pasted the bad&nbsp;URL. We might be able to fix it so that URL would redirect to the good one, in case others have the same problem. Oh well.

</p><p><br></p><p>https://thecardboard.org/board/index.php/forumdisplay.php?fid=5<br></p>

Thanks! I can reproduce the problem with that syntax. I'll see what I can do about it.
<p>
(08-25-2019, 02:15 PM)CompSci87 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2019, 01:59 PM)cardcrimson Wrote: [ -> ]<br><br>
(08-25-2019, 01:50 PM)CompSci87 Wrote: [ -> ]It would help if you'd copy/pasted the bad URL. We might be able to fix it so that URL would redirect to the good one, in case others have the same problem. Oh well.
<br><br><br>https://thecardboard.org/board/index.php/forumdisplay.php?fid=5<br><br>
Thanks! I can reproduce the problem with that syntax. I'll see what I can do about it.
<br><br><br>As you presumably can see, his reply had visible, embedded HTML markers (&lt;P&gt;) that were visible.&nbsp; I had a reply in another thread that had that symptom. (They show up in the preview &amp; the post.)&nbsp; I suspect it is a result of the updates that were put in.&nbsp; Restarting my browser didn't fix it.&nbsp; Flushing the cache and restarting didn't fix it.&nbsp; I noticed that a Quick Edit didn't add or change the HTML markers.</p><p><br></p><p>"the one that looks like a sheet of paper writing on it" has a hint of "View Source".&nbsp; Do we have to now write our posts using HTML???&nbsp;&nbsp; That seems so 90s....<br><br>Oh, by the way, I am now seeing a problem where the "Your Message" block can't really grow.&nbsp; You can make it physically larger, but the number of lines visible is limited by the initial size of the scroll bar.</p><p><br></p><p>Personally, the last two "updates" seem to have been backward steps.&nbsp; Surely they must have fixed something, even if I see two things they broke.<br></p><p><br></p>
It seems clear the update broke something, causing junk that looks like HTML tags visible in messages. Ugh.
(08-25-2019, 07:55 PM)CompSci87 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2019, 07:54 PM)CompSci87 Wrote: [ -> ]It seems clear the update broke something, causing junk that looks like HTML tags visible in messages. Ugh.

Test 123

Test 456

It doesn't happen for me, at least not with what I'm doing on my Android phone.
(08-25-2019, 07:56 PM)CompSci87 Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2019, 07:54 PM)CompSci87 Wrote: [ -> ]It seems clear the update broke something, causing junk that looks like HTML tags visible in messages. Ugh.

Test 123

Test 456

General Electric (GE), an industrial conglomerate founded by Thomas Edison 125 years ago, is in trouble. Its market valuation, once over $400bn, is now closer to $150bn. Its share price has fallen by about two-fifths this year alone. The firm recently replaced Jeffrey Immelt, its long-serving chairman and CEO, with John Flannery (pictured), another company veteran. What went wrong at one of America’s best-known and oldest companies?

Testing on a Mac by pasting formatted text from another site

BC

No, doesn't happen for me either.

BC
<p>
(08-25-2019, 07:56 PM)CompSci87 Wrote: [ -> ]

Test 123

Test 456

</p><p><br></p><p>Some add more water.... some boil water away.</p><p>With cooks doing their own separate things, you'll never know what you've got....</p><p><br></p><p>Someone who only goes by "Admin" wrote:</p><p></p><p>
(08-26-2019, 12:53 AM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]I noticed that the tweets were showing up as blank boxes. I installed a
plugin that allows embedding of HTML in posts. So here's a test of
pasting in the tweet embed code from the original tweet's down arrow. It
works pretty well. <br></p><p>{Tweet removed}<br></p><p>
<br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p><br></p><p>Whatever broke now seems fixed.&nbsp; Who did what, and in what order, seems undefined.</p><p><br></p><p>Hmmm... I would have sworn that when you quoted a message, you would get the link to the message as well as its text. (If you quote a post from 3 months ago in some other thread, the link can help you find the original context.)&nbsp; I don't see the link there now in the quote I just inserted, but I do see&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; pid='253124'&nbsp; in the quote of Admin's message.&nbsp; Just no link to it.&nbsp; It was in the current "Whoa!!!" thread.<br></p><p><br></p><p></p>
Admin is Yvonne. No one else was actually changing anything lately. At least I wasn't.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Proud of my dog <a href="https://t.co/WtWDgoEyjc">pic.twitter.com/WtWDgoEyjc</a></p>&mdash; Zach Ertz (@ZERTZ_86) <a href="https://twitter.com/ZERTZ_86/status/1165663417597927424?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 25, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://twitter.com/ZERTZ_86/status/1165663417597927424
Pages: 1 2