The CardBoard

Full Version: Little out for the year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

BC
And the beat goes on. Sad
Sad news for Stanford fans, but I have to believe Walker Little is making the best decision for his long-term playing future.
what appears to be the UCF depth chart is page 14 here

https://admin.gostanford.com/documents/2...03_UCF.pdf
(09-10-2019, 11:45 AM)needle Wrote: [ -> ]Sad news for Stanford fans, but I have to believe Walker Little is making the best decision for his long-term playing future.

The bigger question is whether walker Little will see another snap in a Stanford uniform. It would be very sad if so, but even with a presumed drop on the draft board, he has to weigh how he can improve his position versus the possibility of a career ending injury.

Either way, I wish him the best. It will be sad if his Stanford career was cut short like this, but, on the other hand, the guy sacrificed his knee for us.

BC
(09-10-2019, 11:54 AM)82lsju Wrote: [ -> ]what appears to be the UCF depth chart is page 14 here

https://admin.gostanford.com/documents/2...03_UCF.pdf

Ouch, besides Little's injury, RG/RT looks like a hot mess.
Will be interesting to see how Hattis starts at both RG and RT (yeah, I know there’s an -or- there).

Bc

By the way, IlB, another position where we were facing a depth problem, will see us without either back-up. So, we now have a converted OLB, a converted safety, backed up by true freshmen.

BC
(09-10-2019, 12:06 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]By the way, IlB, another position where we were facing a depth problem, will see us without either back-up. So, we now have a converted OLB, a converted safety, backed up by true freshmen.

BC

I was just looking at ILB. given our S play Saturday, I wouldn't mind seeing Sinclair back at S. I think we end up playing a few more true FR on D before long.

on positive news (if depth chart is accurate), we are up to 8 healthy OL again.
How is it we seem to be having a crazy number of injuries over the last few years? I don't recall the same problems at the start of the run, is it all strength and conditioning? Don't we owe it to the players to fix this?
(09-10-2019, 11:58 AM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2019, 11:45 AM)needle Wrote: [ -> ]Sad news for Stanford fans, but I have to believe Walker Little is making the best decision for his long-term playing future.

The bigger question is whether walker Little will see another snap in a Stanford uniform. It would be very sad if so, but even with a presumed drop on the draft board, he has to weigh how he can improve his position versus the possibility of a career ending injury.

Either way, I wish him the best. It will be sad if his Stanford career was cut short like this, but, on the other hand, the guy sacrificed his knee for us.

BC

Little has NFL talent but the resilience and durability of his body is questionable. Perhaps a better strategy would be to stay in school and get his degree because he may not last too long in the NFL. Really sad.
We're down to 8 linemen, 5 of whom are freshman. . . .
(09-10-2019, 12:21 PM)slide Wrote: [ -> ]on positive news (if depth chart is accurate), we are up to 8 healthy OL again.

I appreciate the optimism, but I wouldn't call that positive news. It's mostly because they were off the chart and now need to be on it, or else we have nobody filling the spots. But we should never have three 18 year-olds on our depth chart for OL, with two of them starting.

Anyone know the general nature of Sarell's injury? Any chance of having him back for Oregon?
(09-10-2019, 12:25 PM)bubbleburster Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2019, 11:58 AM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]

BC

Little has NFL talent but the resilience and durability of his body is questionable. Perhaps a better strategy would be to stay in school and get his degree because he may not last too long in the NFL. Really sad.

I hope (selfishly) that that's the way he sees it, and that he comes back next year with a vengance and a desire to show NFL talent scouts that he is worthy of his first pre-injury round projections. The flip side is that even a day 2 or 3 draft gets him some money and a chance to play in the NFL, and if the injuries rob him of a productive NFL career, he can always come back and finish his degree. My guess is that Little has been making preparations for three-and-out for some time, so coming back to graduate wouldn't be too much of a burden.

BC
Given that he is out for the year before school starts, if he wants to graduate in three years he can certainly load up on classes this quarter. That, plus three years of summer school, should put him in the ballpark of having enough credits to graduate from most majors at the end of this year. I hate to say it, but the NFL is so desperate for good o-linemen, that I think he would still be in the top 3 rounds. Therefore, the only reason for him to come back is if his injury is of the nature that his draft status would slide beyond that.
(09-10-2019, 02:23 PM)bbm233 Wrote: [ -> ]Given that he is out for the year before school starts, if he wants to graduate in three years he can certainly load up on classes this quarter. That, plus three years of summer school, should put him in the ballpark of having enough credits to graduate from most majors at the end of this year. I hate to say it, but the NFL is so desperate for good o-linemen, that I think he would still be in the top 3 rounds. Therefore, the only reason for him to come back is if his injury is of the nature that his draft status would slide beyond that.

If Little returned next season and played very well, would he likely be a top 15 draft pick ?
(09-10-2019, 02:37 PM)SF_Cardinal_Fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2019, 02:23 PM)bbm233 Wrote: [ -> ]Given that he is out for the year before school starts, if he wants to graduate in three years he can certainly load up on classes this quarter. That, plus three years of summer school, should put him in the ballpark of having enough credits to graduate from most majors at the end of this year. I hate to say it, but the NFL is so desperate for good o-linemen, that I think he would still be in the top 3 rounds. Therefore, the only reason for him to come back is if his injury is of the nature that his draft status would slide beyond that.

If Little returned next season and played very well, would he likely be a top 15 draft pick ?

I think Kiper had him at #14 overall before the injury.
Second year of devastating injuries. Bad luck or something else?
(09-10-2019, 12:02 PM)qwerty49 Wrote: [ -> ]Ouch, besides Little's injury, RG/RT looks like a hot mess.

The entire OL is a hot mess, as anticipated given the lack of depth to start the season
(09-10-2019, 09:27 PM)Phogge Wrote: [ -> ]Second year of devastating injuries. Bad luck or something else?

Stated similarly earlier in the thread. Doesn't Stanford need to fix this for the players?
(09-10-2019, 12:21 PM)slide Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-10-2019, 12:06 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]By the way, IlB, another position where we were facing a depth problem, will see us without either back-up. So, we now have a converted OLB, a converted safety, backed up by true freshmen.

BC

I was just looking at ILB. given our S play Saturday, I wouldn't mind seeing Sinclair back at S. I think we end up playing a few more true FR on D before long.

on positive news (if depth chart is accurate), we are up to 8 healthy OL again.

Stanford is going to be down 4 OL - Little, Sarell, Grant Pease and Dylan Powell will all be unavailable. Stanford will only have 3 OL who had game experience prior to this season - Hamilton, Hattis and Dalman. They may have to move Tucker Fisk from TE to OL just to have enough healthy bodies to practice.
Pages: 1 2