The CardBoard

Full Version: Panthers fire Ron Rivera
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, Christian McCaffrey will be playing for a new coach.

BC
I'm genuinely bummed about that.  Rivera went to Seaside HS in Monterey, common for the sons and daughters of Fort Ord personnel (Ron's dad was an officer).  We played basketball against Seaside.  One of our players, nicknamed "Huey" was 6'9" and 280 pounds, and became a lineman in the NFL years later.  When a shot went up in that game, it was those two guys battling for the rebound and eight other guys looking for a reason to be anywhere but near the basketball. 

And he was a worthy opponent at Cal.  And by worthy, I mean he wasn't anything like Albert Dorsey, Mariet Ford, Damariay Drew, Tracy Slocum or Mike Pawlawski.  He was a decent guy.
One word about Pawlawski. You may not like him but he was a passionate gamer. A total Baer. Stanford has a coach who shows no passion. I wish Stanford had a dozen guys who bled for their school like Pawlawski. Playing football is not like working with crap in a Petri dish or running statistics in the Business School (all worthy pursuits). You need guys to play with their hair on fire. Haven’t seen it since 2015 at Stanford.
(12-04-2019, 08:26 AM)Phogge Wrote: [ -> ]One word about Pawlawski. You may not like him but he was a passionate gamer. A total Baer. Stanford has a coach who shows no passion. I wish Stanford had a dozen guys who bled for their school like Pawlawski. Playing football is not like working with crap in a Petri dish or running statistics in the Business School (all worthy pursuits). You need guys to play with their hair on fire. Haven’t seen it since 2015 at Stanford.

At odds with this description of Shaw.

BC
(12-04-2019, 08:26 AM)Phogge Wrote: [ -> ]One word about Pawlawski. You may not like him but he was a passionate gamer.

And that "passion" cost his team the '91 Big Game.
Not him alone CI. Even the kicker got a PF called against him. But they went 10-2 and destroyed some Southern team in the Citrus Bowl. He is a horrible radio guy, I will give you that.
Just because I saw this. I have no axe to grind here, but he seems like a good guy.

Quote:Rivera added that he wants to keep coaching not just so he can win the Super Bowl, but also to continue impacting the lives of his players. Rivera praised both Greg Olsen and Eric Reid, saying both men “are going to change this world and make it a better place.”

After the press conference, Rivera thanked the media who covered him over the past nine years.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ron-rivera-...00093.html
(12-03-2019, 05:42 PM)Mick Wrote: [ -> ]I'm genuinely bummed about that.  Rivera went to Seaside HS in Monterey, common for the sons and daughters of Fort Ord personnel (Ron's dad was an officer).  We played basketball against Seaside.  One of our players, nicknamed "Huey" was 6'9" and 280 pounds, and became a lineman in the NFL years later.  When a shot went up in that game, it was those two guys battling for the rebound and eight other guys looking for a reason to be anywhere but near the basketball. 

And he was a worthy opponent at Cal.  And by worthy, I mean he wasn't anything like Albert Dorsey, Mariet Ford, Damariay Drew, Tracy Slocum or Mike Pawlawski.  He was a decent guy.

Agree about Rivera.

Maybe we can turn this thread into athletes who competed for Cal that we admire (enthusiastically or begrudgingly).  I'll start with a couple:

1.  Tony Gonzalez - two sport stud; showed great sense of humor at hoops game at Maples when student section did a "Clap, Clap, Fum-ble" cheer (recalling the Gonzalez fumble late that allowed Stanford to win BG).  Plus, he is a good TV announcer, and I absolutely LOVED reading that Gonzalez takes his family every summer on a trip to some interesting place on the globe so the family can get some history and general edification (wish I did that with my family).

2.  Russell White, the Cal RB who overcame Prop 48 (dyslexia-related, IIRC) and earned his Cal degree.  That showed some  real internal fortitude and desire to pursue an achievement that is not rewarded with much in material sense.  Oh yeah, he was a helluva football player, too.  He and Milburn put on a show for the ages in the Revenge of the Play year.

I am sure there are many others, but those two pop immediately to mind.

P.S.  Kevin Johnson, the super-quick guard for Bears (and later Suns) was pretty amazing to watch and hard to dislike.  He just played.  Really, really well.  He also got into politics, IIRC, in Arizona (?) after his playing days.
Joe Roth. . . .
what about the Cal guards who beat Duke in 1993 (Kidd and Haase)?
  :)
And my cousin Joe DeRosa who started on the right side of the OL blocking for Muncie in ‘74 and ‘75. Great kid, died at age 22.
Marshawn Lynch is just here so he doesn't get fined.
Kevin Johnson was Mayor of Sacramento for iirc 8 years until The end of 2018.

My hero

https://calbears.com/sports/womens-volle...nnie/14146

Liver transplant as a soph
Cancer as a jr
Played against Stanford last Friday on an ACL
(12-04-2019, 07:59 PM)teejers1 Wrote: [ -> ]1.  Tony Gonzalez - two sport stud; showed great sense of humor at hoops game at Maples when student section did a "Clap, Clap, Fum-ble" cheer (recalling the Gonzalez fumble late that allowed Stanford to win BG).  Plus, he is a good TV announcer, and I absolutely LOVED reading that Gonzalez takes his family every summer on a trip to some interesting place on the globe so the family can get some history and general edification (wish I did that with my family).

Agree on Tony Gonzalez. I don't remember the Fumble cheer, but I remember that we of the 6th man club chanted "CFL" every time he got the ball for a few possessions and he acknowledge it with a wry grin and almost a wink before performing some miraculous athletic feat on the court. He's a tough guy not to like and just an incredible athlete.
(12-04-2019, 08:30 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]
My hero

https://calbears.com/sports/womens-volle...nnie/14146

Liver transplant as a soph
Cancer as a jr
Played against Stanford last Friday on an ACL

Her fellow HS alumni include John Lynch

...and, IIRC, our very own BC.
(12-04-2019, 08:30 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Played against Stanford last Friday on an ACL

She probably played on two ACL's; one of them may have been reconstructed, though.

And yes, qwerty, I am a proud Falcon, though I really was only there for a year and a half.

Chad Hutchinson was another alum.

BC
(12-04-2019, 10:21 AM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-04-2019, 08:26 AM)Phogge Wrote: [ -> ]One word about Pawlawski. You may not like him but he was a passionate gamer. A total Baer. Stanford has a coach who shows no passion. I wish Stanford had a dozen guys who bled for their school like Pawlawski. Playing football is not like working with crap in a Petri dish or running statistics in the Business School (all worthy pursuits). You need guys to play with their hair on fire. Haven’t seen it since 2015 at Stanford.

At odds with this description of Shaw.

BC

Yeah, but what does she know?
Torn acl Rennie played on a recently torn acl and no I don’t believe the coaches were lying
Bob
(12-05-2019, 08:09 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Torn acl Rennie played on a recently torn acl and no I don’t believe the coaches were lying
Bob

I knew what you were getting at.  Just having fun.

BC
There you go, trying to have fun on a sports board. Shame.

(12-05-2019, 08:11 AM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2019, 08:09 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Torn acl Rennie played on a recently torn acl and no I don’t believe the coaches were lying
Bob

I knew what you were getting at.  Just having fun.

BC
Pages: 1 2