The CardBoard

Full Version: LSU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(12-28-2019, 10:02 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-28-2019, 08:03 PM)d4cohn Wrote: [ -> ]Based on what I have seen in the Clemson-Ohio State game, coupled with
the National Championship being played in New Orleans, it certainly looks
like LSU is bringing home the title this year.

Yeah, but Clemson tOSU was a better game.  Nice comeback by the Tigers.

BC

In terms of competitiveness, the Clemson tOSU game was more competitive. But I actually enjoyed
the LSU game more because of the history we were witnessing with Burrow's performance.
I enjoyed the LSU game more, because the level of play from LSU was just fantastic.

I wasn't impressed at all by the level of play of either Clemson or tOSU.
(12-29-2019, 06:24 PM)cardcrimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2019, 06:10 PM)Brickcity Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2019, 03:51 PM)teejers1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2019, 10:33 AM)Austroturf Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2019, 06:19 AM)JohnR34231 Wrote: [ -> ]Looking forward to when Wazzu starts Couging it against us, since they haven't since 2015.

My sentiments exactly: Wazzu seems to find a way to lose to everybody but us.

Never thought I'd see the day where I actively root for LSU over a non-SEC opponent, but I will be.

So tired of Dabo's sanctimony and whining . . . but much respect for his ability to recruit and coach 'em up.

I'm also not a fan of his "praise Jesus!" routine.

Perhaps you might want to learn about the man a little before you cast aspersions about the guy and his faith. By all accounts a really good guy who has overcome a ton in his life. . . .

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/dabo-swinn...d=36146292

I have little doubt that there are many people who have had a rough upbringing...who don't feel the need to praise Jesus at every turn. Personally, I find it tacky. Then again, there's always the mute button. Which I plan to use in the future or simply change the channel.
Well, from what I’ve read he runs a clean program, cares about his players, builds a tremendously positive atmosphere.  All good stuff. I like Swinney. 

So while  I could do without the “praise God” bit, I’ll take the positive. 
I also could do without players woofing, gesticulating etc after darn near every play.  In the end, to each his own.

I’ll be rooting for Clemson. Love the way Clemson plays. I also think he’s the best coach in college football 

quote="Brickcity" pid='266034' dateline='1577728625']
(12-29-2019, 06:24 PM)cardcrimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2019, 06:10 PM)Brickcity Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2019, 03:51 PM)teejers1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2019, 10:33 AM)Austroturf Wrote: [ -> ]My sentiments exactly: Wazzu seems to find a way to lose to everybody but us.

Never thought I'd see the day where I actively root for LSU over a non-SEC opponent, but I will be.

So tired of Dabo's sanctimony and whining . . . but much respect for his ability to recruit and coach 'em up.

I'm also not a fan of his "praise Jesus!" routine.

Perhaps you might want to learn about the man a little before you cast aspersions about the guy and his faith. By all accounts a really good guy who has overcome a ton in his life. . . .

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/dabo-swinn...d=36146292

I have little doubt that there are many people who have had a rough upbringing...who don't feel the need to praise Jesus at every turn. Personally, I find it tacky. Then again, there's always the mute button. Which I plan to use in the future or simply change the channel.
[/quote]

To quote John McEnroe “ARE YOU SERIOUS?”  The level of play in the Clemson-OSU game was sky high.  For one thing – I can’t recall a game in the last couple years where I saw hitting in a college game that was as hard as it was in that game.   You had two teams evenly matched both loaded with talent. In fact I’ve heard several pro scouts say that Ohio State has the most talent in the country. OSU shot them selves in the foot a few times which obviously helped  Clemson win. 

You had two tremendous quarterbacks – the number one and two recruits in the country two years ago by the way. The guy that generally is considered the best player in college football ( Ohio State‘s defensive lineman) speed all over the field and some truly terrific playmaking against top-flight defenses. Which when you get right down to it is what was different about that game. Both those teams not only have excellent offenses -But they also have great defenses. Which means teams had to earn their yards. Unlike LSU – which was a complete mismatch. Taking nothing away from the Tigers they are a great football team no question about it. But Oklahoma had no chance because as with essentially all big 12 teams they can’t defend.  

I thought OSU-Clemson was one of the best College Football games I’ve seen in a long time. 

(12-29-2019, 07:01 PM)d4cohn Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-28-2019, 10:02 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-28-2019, 08:03 PM)d4cohn Wrote: [ -> ]Based on what I have seen in the Clemson-Ohio State game, coupled with

Yeah, but Clemson tOSU was a better game.  Nice comeback by the Tigers.

BC

In terms of competitiveness, the Clemson tOSU game was more competitive. But I actually enjoyed
the LSU game more because of the history we were witnessing with Burrow's performance.
I enjoyed the LSU game more, because the level of play from LSU was just fantastic.

I wasn't impressed at all by the level of play of either Clemson or tOSU.
(12-30-2019, 11:11 AM)lex24 Wrote: [ -> ]
To quote John McEnroe “ARE YOU SERIOUS?”  The level of play in the Clemson-OSU game was sky high.  For one thing – I can’t recall a game in the last couple years where I saw hitting in a college game that was as hard as it was in that game.   You had two teams evenly matched both loaded with talent. In fact I’ve heard several pro scouts say that Ohio State has the most talent in the country. OSU shot them selves in the foot a few times which obviously helped  Clemson win. 

You had two tremendous quarterbacks – the number one and two recruits in the country two years ago by the way. The guy that generally is considered the best player in college football ( Ohio State‘s defensive lineman) speed all over the field and some truly terrific playmaking against top-flight defenses. Which when you get right down to it is what was different about that game. Both those teams not only have excellent offenses -But they also have great defenses. Which means teams had to earn their yards. Unlike LSU – which was a complete mismatch. Taking nothing away from the Tigers they are a great football team no question about it. But Oklahoma had no chance because as with essentially all big 12 teams they can’t defend.  

I thought OSU-Clemson was one of the best College Football games I’ve seen in a long time. 

Justin Fields missed an easy TD on a basic screen pass to JK Dobbins that forced Ohio State to settle for its second FG. Ohio State was forced to settle for a third FG after JK Dobbins dropped a sure TD on another screen pass.

You also had mistakes like the roughing the punter by Ohio State (when a mere running into the kicker still wouldn't have extended the drive) on fourth and long deep in Clemson territory that Clemson ultimately cashed in on a 99 yard TD drive (and allowed them to take their first lead).

Then Ohio State's defense, for all the talk about our defensive deficiencies, gives up a 94 yard drive in 1:18, with Clemson pinned back at its 6, down with under 3 minutes left in the fourth quarter.

You also had the disastrous miscommunication on OSU's final drive that led to Fields throwing the INT to seal the game.

Coupled those mistakes with the targeting penalty on third down with Ohio State up 16 that kept another Clemson drive alive that allowed them to turn momentum in the game when they were getting dominated.

I mean, I tally all that up, and the conclusion I reach is Ohio State gave away that game with costly mistakes, when the game easily could and should have been put out of reach in the second quarter.

The game also featured a combined 13 punts. Like I told BC, I thought the OSU-Clemson game was certainly more competitive, but there is a marked difference in the quality of LSU versus either Clemson or Ohio State. To wit, I cannot see Burrow missing on an easy RB screen, or one of their receivers dropping a sure TD on a screen.
(12-30-2019, 11:53 AM)d4cohn Wrote: [ -> ]

Justin Fields missed an easy TD on a basic screen pass to JK Dobbins that forced Ohio State to settle for its second FG. Ohio State was forced to settle for a third FG after JK Dobbins dropped a sure TD on another screen pass.

You also had mistakes like the roughing the punter by Ohio State (when a mere running into the kicker still wouldn't have extended the drive) on fourth and long deep in Clemson territory that Clemson ultimately cashed in on a 99 yard TD drive (and allowed them to take their first lead).

Then Ohio State's defense, for all the talk about our defensive deficiencies, gives up a 94 yard drive in 1:18, with Clemson pinned back at its 6, down with under 3 minutes left in the fourth quarter.

You also had the disastrous miscommunication on OSU's final drive that led to Fields throwing the INT to seal the game.

Coupled those mistakes with the targeting penalty on third down with Ohio State up 16 that kept another Clemson drive alive that allowed them to turn momentum in the game when they were getting dominated.

I mean, I tally all that up, and the conclusion I reach is Ohio State gave away that game with costly mistakes, when the game easily could and should have been put out of reach in the second quarter.

The game also featured a combined 13 punts. Like I told BC, I thought the OSU-Clemson game was certainly more competitive, but there is a marked difference in the quality of LSU versus either Clemson or Ohio State. To wit, I cannot see Burrow missing on an easy RB screen, or one of their receivers dropping a sure TD on a screen.

This: "I also could do without players woofing, gesticulating etc after darn near every play." This type of behavior is why I've avoided, for the most part, watching the NFL since the mid-nineties. Unfortunately, this behavior has infiltrated the college game of late. Really sucks. And agree with your bigger point: Swinney seams like a good guy...I just can't stand the in-your-face religious schtick. 
I watched LSU and thought the PAC-12 probably would have looked as unworthy as Oklahoma. 

I watched tOSU v Clemson and thought Oregon and Utah could be competitive in a game against those teams.   

Any team can win a single game, but I think  those in the French Quarter will be preparing for an LSU post game celebration.
(12-30-2019, 12:43 PM)Brickcity Wrote: [ -> ]And agree with your bigger point: Swinney seams like a good guy...I just can't stand the in-your-face religious schtick. 

Why the animosity towards his Evangelical beliefs?

Schtick? Seriously?!? I wouldn't suggest trying that out on an athlete fasting during Ramadan.

FWIW, here's an interesting article on the Clemson program. While I don't share his Evangelical ideology, I do respect his right to practice it without ridicule.

https://www.getreligion.org/getreligion/...son-tigers
Then you watched a different game than I. The difference between LSU-Oklahoma and OSU- Clemson is in the former you had a mismatch. And OSU and Clemson both have great defenses. So the yards had to be earned. 

Oregon could be competitive against Oklahoma.  The other three teams would blow Oregon out. Either Clemson or OSU would have blown out Oklahoma.  

Clemson may match up better with LSU than they did OSU. LSU is favored and should be.  But Clemson ain’t awed by anyone. They have been there - and won.  So I wouldn’t bet against them. 

(12-30-2019, 12:47 PM)Farm93 Wrote: [ -> ]I watched LSU and thought the PAC-12 probably would have looked as unworthy as Oklahoma. 

I watched tOSU v Clemson and thought Oregon and Utah could be competitive in a game against those teams.   

Any team can win a single game, but I think  those in the French Quarter will be preparing for an LSU post game celebration.
(12-30-2019, 01:27 PM)cardcrimson Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2019, 12:43 PM)Brickcity Wrote: [ -> ]And agree with your bigger point: Swinney seams like a good guy...I just can't stand the in-your-face religious schtick. 

Schtick? Seriously?!? I wouldn't suggest trying that out on an athlete fasting during Ramadan.

FWIW, here's an interesting article on the Clemson program. While I don't share his Evangelical ideology, I do respect his right to practice it without ridicule.

"Why the animosity towards his Evangelical beliefs?" Really?

Incidentally, I would be curious to learn of any athletes/coaches who incessantly talk about their muslim beliefs on national television. 
(12-30-2019, 01:27 PM)cardcrimson Wrote: [ -> ]

I consider myself religious (actually attend mass most weeks), but I'm not big on PDRs (Public Displays of Religion - or PDAs, for that matter).  But that's not why I'm tired of Swinney - who admittedly is a great coach.

Rather, was sick of his belly aching about his team being outside the Top 4 for most of the year; no respect; only undefeated defending champ treated that way in history; blah, blah, blah.  Just stop already!  There was never any doubt that if Clemson won out they would be in the Final Four.  As for the lack of respect, how about playing somebody worth a damn OOC (or in conference, for that matter)?  And eking out a 1-point win over UNC didn't help matters, either.  Just got tired of his whining.

One of the few great Harbaugh quotes that I always appreciated:  "Just shut up and play."
(12-30-2019, 01:27 PM)cardcrimson Wrote: [ -> ]While I don't share his Evangelical ideology, I do respect his right to practice it without ridicule.

I would assume you can see a difference between practicing and proselytizing.
I don't know how many of you here ever make your way over to VolleyTalk but I just discovered it this year while following the WVB tournament run.  Over there they've had a couple contentious threads about the Baylor team and religion.  Baylor apparently has a habit of forming a prayer circle after their matches and inviting the opponent team to take part in it.  Some teams accept the invitation and some decline, but during their semifinal exit apparently the ESPN cameras entered the prayer circle and inspired a discussion about the intersection of prayer and sports competition.  

Personally, I'm a little relieved Stanford didn't have to face them in the final because I wouldn't want Stanford as a unit or individual Stanford players to have to publicly decide whether or not to enter a prayer circle and be judged for the choice.
(12-30-2019, 03:09 PM)CowboyIndian Wrote: [ -> ][quote="cardcrimson" pid='266048' dateline='1577737633']
While I don't share his Evangelical ideology, I do respect his right to practice it without ridicule.

I would assume you can see a difference between practicing and proselytizing.
[/quote]

Of course, yet for Evangelicals, I believe that to be a fundamental part of practicing their faith.

"Then the fourth cardinal belief of evangelicals is the need to proselytize, or in their case, to spread the evangel, to evangelize" where evangel refers to the good news of Jesus Christ.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline...vmain.html

(12-30-2019, 03:08 PM)teejers1 Wrote: [ -> ][quote="cardcrimson" pid='266048' dateline='1577737633']

I consider myself religious (actually attend mass most weeks), but I'm not big on PDRs (Public Displays of Religion - or PDAs, for that matter).  But that's not why I'm tired of Swinney - who admittedly is a great coach.

Rather, was sick of his belly aching about his team being outside the Top 4 for most of the year; no respect; only undefeated defending champ treated that way in history; blah, blah, blah.  Just stop already!  There was never any doubt that if Clemson won out they would be in the Final Four.  As for the lack of respect, how about playing somebody worth a damn OOC (or in conference, for that matter)?  And eking out a 1-point win over UNC didn't help matters, either.  Just got tired of his whining.

One of the few great Harbaugh quotes that I always appreciated:  "Just shut up and play."

No argument from me on any of the above, though I have to admit, Christmas lights, trees, wreaths, crosses, etc are okay by me.
(12-30-2019, 02:21 PM)lex24 Wrote: [ -> ]Then you watched a different game than I. The difference between LSU-Oklahoma and OSU- Clemson is in the former you had a mismatch. And OSU and Clemson both have great defenses. So the yards had to be earned. 

Oregon could be competitive against Oklahoma.  The other three teams would blow Oregon out. Either Clemson or OSU would have blown out Oklahoma.  

Clemson may match up better with LSU than they did OSU. LSU is favored and should be.  But Clemson ain’t awed by anyone. They have been there - and won.  So I wouldn’t bet against them. 

(12-30-2019, 12:47 PM)Farm93 Wrote: [ -> ]I watched LSU and thought the PAC-12 probably would have looked as unworthy as Oklahoma. 

I watched a game where tOSU looked AMAZING between the 20s, but the found a way (often with no real role contribution by Clemson's D) to end up kicking FGs.  The tOSU special teams and defense kept finding ways to keep Clemson's O on the field and in the game.   I saw loads of potential for tOSU to win by 3 or 4 TDs, but the team was also very charitable.    Too charitable as it turns out.

The LSU team I saw, and I have no idea what game you saw, grabbed literally every ball that was in the air.   Their receivers caught everything, their DBs got everything too.  They only became charitable once they were up by 5 TDs, so at that point that's not the same deal.

I think at the combine tOSU stars will match LSU stars, but the LSU crew were making big time plays with virtually no errors.   tOSU was far more charitable.   Clemson only won because tOSU was too charitable.  I don't think Clemson 2019 has as many top draft picks, but credit to them for not giving up even when it appeared tOSU was just a play or two away from breaking the game open.

The NC game will be a unique deal but LSU rightfully is a 6 point favorite, and that point spread implies people saw what I saw.   LSU is quite a bit better than Clemson.
Taking a quick break from whatever-the-hell is making me dizzy while sitting down to put on my moderator hat and say that religion is one of the banned topics on this board for a reason, and while this has been largely civil it's probably for the best to take it to PM, another board, or cut it out entirely.
Oklahoma was by far the weakest of the 4. (How weak - read an SI snippet where the writer notes that LSU staffers said Oklahoma was the 5th best team. Not overall. The 5th best team LSU faced this year) Agree completely LSU looked fantastic. To say the least. I just disagree on your take on tOSU- Clemson. (And Oregons ability to play with either) 

LSU is probably the better team. But Clemson has been in this position before.  Against seemingly better Alabama teams. And won.

In any event, should be a fun game. Two fantastic QB’s (prob no 1 overall picks in this draft and next) talent all over the field. 

(12-30-2019, 03:31 PM)Farm93 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2019, 02:21 PM)lex24 Wrote: [ -> ]Then you watched a different game than I. The difference between LSU-Oklahoma and OSU- Clemson is in the former you had a mismatch. And OSU and Clemson both have great defenses. So the yards had to be earned. 

I watched a game where tOSU looked AMAZING between the 20s, but the found a way (often with no real role contribution by Clemson's D) to end up kicking FGs.  The tOSU special teams and defense kept finding ways to keep Clemson's O on the field and in the game.   I saw loads of potential for tOSU to win by 3 or 4 TDs, but the team was also very charitable.    Too charitable as it turns out.

The LSU team I saw, and I have no idea what game you saw, grabbed literally every ball that was in the air.   Their receivers caught everything, their DBs got everything too.  They only became charitable once they were up by 5 TDs, so at that point that's not the same deal.

I think at the combine tOSU stars will match LSU stars, but the LSU crew were making big time plays with virtually no errors.   tOSU was far more charitable.   Clemson only won because tOSU was too charitable.  I don't think Clemson 2019 has as many top draft picks, but credit to them for not giving up even when it appeared tOSU was just a play or two away from breaking the game open.

The NC game will be a unique deal but LSU rightfully is a 6 point favorite, and that point spread implies people saw what I saw.   LSU is quite a bit better than Clemson.

Yes, 13 punts. Because those two teams actually play defense. Yes, tOSU made mistakes that hurt. Any and all QBs miss occasional throws and all receivers drop passes ocassionally.

Lawrence and Fields ain’t exactly chopped liver. OSU put a lot of pressure on Lawrence. Not sure LSU will be able to.  

LSU is better. I agree with you on that. But I thought Clemson- OSU was a high end game between two relatively evenly matched teams. Both of whom would have blown out Oklahoma. 

I’m expecting a terrific NC game. 

quote="d4cohn" pid='266039' dateline='1577731986']

[/quote]
(12-30-2019, 03:31 PM)Farm93 Wrote: [ -> ]The NC game will be a unique deal but LSU rightfully is a 6 point favorite, and that point spread implies people saw what I saw.   LSU is quite a bit better than Clemson.

That point spread implies that the NC is basically a home game for LSU. New Orleans will be going insane for the Bayou Bengals, and that alone is probably worth a couple of field goals. . . .

Yes, they appear to be the better team, by a lot. Then again, Alabama was a six point favorite over Clemson last year, and looked to be the better team, by a lot. . . .
(12-30-2019, 04:35 PM)cardcrimson Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, they appear to be the better team, by a lot. Then again, Alabama was a six point favorite over Clemson last year, and looked to be the better team, by a lot. . . .

Fundamentally agree with Lex:  Oklahoma was a clear notch (or two) below the other 3 CFP participants - which is why the late flip of tOSU and LSU on #1 spot was so critical.  The team with the #1 seed was almost certain to make the final - not so the #2 seed, as we saw.  And yet, I also agree that tOSU charitied that game to Clemson as much (if not more) than Clemson won it.

And yet . . . I also agree that with Lex that you can never count out Clemson.  I think LSU will pull it out, but am by no means certain.  It will not be anything close to the cakewalk we saw against OU.

Lastly, the final last year was not the same.  I don't know how/why Alabama was a 6-point favorite (and that was said real-time, not just hindsight).  This year you can understand why LSU is the favorite . . . especially with game in New Orleans.

D4cohn (and others in this thread)... take a bow. LSU has dominated the game and probably has to be counted as one of the top teams in college football history (certainly their offense is one of the best, if not the best ever).

BC
Pages: 1 2 3