The CardBoard

Full Version: Baseball Pre Season Top 25
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Prep Volleyball is a paid site I’ve subscribed to for years run by John Tawa Tim’s dad.
(01-16-2020, 03:56 PM)Mr. Baseball Wrote: [ -> ]D1 baseball did a preview of the team and mentioned these freshmen:

Crampton
Jones
Gargus
Huff
Cobb
Mathews

No mention of Hinkelman.

That being said, they've been very wrong the past couple of years, so...

Seems to me that, with Cobb and Mathews on the team, we should be pretty good.  I didn't know they had any eligibility left...
(01-17-2020, 02:40 PM)76lsjumb Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-16-2020, 03:56 PM)Mr. Baseball Wrote: [ -> ]D1 baseball did a preview of the team and mentioned these freshmen:

Crampton
Jones
Gargus
Huff
Cobb
Mathews

No mention of Hinkelman.

That being said, they've been very wrong the past couple of years, so...
Seems to me that, with Cobb and Mathews on the team, we should be pretty good.  I didn't know they had any eligibility left...

Unfortunately it's Rusty Cobb and Teddie Matthews...:)
Baseball America omits Stanford from its pre-season top 25 in what I think is a sound decision. Just too many question marks before the season to think of this team as a top contender. Let the Card earn their way into the rankings, I say!
(01-22-2020, 09:29 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]More

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/artic...-preseason

Interesting.

That is an article from D1baseball.com, which on their own site I had only been able to see the intro.

The article is written to indicate substantial inside knowledge of the team. Lots of players are described as having had very strong falls (i.e. autumn). As far as I know there are no organized games during the fall, so presumably that means in team practices - which in turns means that they spoke to somebody who was able to see fall practices, or watched themselves. Even further, they claim that Henry Gargus "has shown impressive power since missing the fall while rehabbing a hamstring injury", so some of their information is quite recent.
If all of this means they have been speaking to the coaches, then maybe we should take some of their projections about starters seriously.
Mr Baseball would know more about fall games but they used to have them just not publically announce them like say softball does

Media day is the 30th so you can compare notes
Looks like Brueser will bat leadoff. Not a prototype in the position, but sees lots of pitches and has good power. Could play RF or 1B.

CRob will hit second. Lefty stick. No homers over his first two years but he has juice in the bat and can run. Will play CF or LF.

Tawa third. Missed all of the fall. Could have big year with a fast start. Can do it all. Will play SS or CF.

Belly clean up. of immense proportions power and is a veteran. Needs to continue high-level play shown at the end of last year to make team competitive. Plays a strong 3B.

CMO fifth. Another veteran who hit well in the Cape. Not sure I love him as a catcher. Has lots of experience. Knows this is his year.

Gargus sixth. Missed fall. Great stick. Ball jumps. Will play RF or 1B.

Dieter seventh. Primed for breakout year. Strong defensively at second.

The final two spots are wide open.

Veteran Nick Oar could DH. It could also be Huff or Hinkelman.

The last spot could go to Cobb or Crampton is Tawa goes back to the outfield or it could be Jones or Burton in left.

All of these guys will get a shot at some point in the year. It is also possible that C Martinez and infielders Kretzchmar and Segal will get on the field.
Great post. Really appreciate
Bay Area Media Day today. Curious to hear what Coach says about the fellas
Hey Bobbbbb, is there any RPI consequence when a D1 team plays a ranked D2 squad?
Yes but never sure what. SEC plays D2 right ?

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/...l-preview/

Good story on Stanford and the Pac 12
Pages: 1 2