The CardBoard

Full Version: 2020 Stanford Football Personnel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Eligibility:
Redshirt
First Year
Second Year
Third Year
Fourth Year
Quarterback
Tanner McKee
Beau Nelson
Jack West
Dylan Plautz
Davis Mills
Isaiah Sanders
Running Back
E.J. Smith
Casey Filkins (punt returns)
Caleb Robinson
Austin Jones*
Nathaniel Peat* (kickoff returns)
Justus Woods
Cameron McFarlane
[Dorian Maddox]
Fullback
[Jay Symonds]
Houston Heimuli
Tight End
Lukas Ungar
Benjamin Yurosek
Bradley Archer
Tae Le
Tucker Fisk
Kyle McCombs^
Scooter Harrington
Wide Receiver
John Humphreys
Bryce Farrell (punt returns)
Silas Starr
Colby Bowman
Marcus Graham
Simi Fehoko
Brycen Tremayne
Elijah Higgins*
[Michael Wilson]*
[Connor Wedington]
[OSB]
Cameron Buzzell
Offensive Tackle
Myles Hinton
Connor McLaughlin
James Pogorelc
Walter Rouse*
Foster Sarell
Offensive Guard
Levi Rogers
Max Kalny
Branson Bragg
Barrett Miller*
Jake Hornibrook*
Jake Koffman
Center
Drake Metcalf
Logan Berzins
Drake Nugent
Drew Dalman

Defensive Tackle
Tobin Phillips
Zephron Lester
DWP
Defensive End
Lance Keneley
Matthew Merritt
[Joshua Pakola]^
Trey LaBounty
Thomas Booker*
Ryan Johnson
Thomas Schaffer
Outside Linebacker
Kiersten Lee
Stephen Herron Jr.
[Tobe Umerah]
[Loa Kaufusi]
Andres Fox
Caleb Kelly
Gabe Reid
[Thunder Justice Keck]
Caleb Phillips^
[Jordan Fox]
Inside Linebacker
Anson Pulsipher
[Tristan Sinclair]
Aeneas DiCosmo
Levani Damuni
[Ricky Miezan]
[JMF]
Spencer Jorgensen*
Jake Lynch
Curtis Robinson
Cornerback
Brandon Jones
Omari Porter
STM
[Nicolas Toomer]
Kyu Blu Kelly*
[Ethan Bonner]
Zahran Manley*
Donjae Logan
Treyjohn Butler
Safety
Alaka'i Gilman
Jason Kaul
Jonathan McGill* (nickelback)
Kendall Williamson*
Noah Williams
Malik Antoine
J.J. Parson

Kicker
Joshua Karty
Diego Preciado
Jet Toner (kickoffs)
Punter
Alexander Thorpe
Ryan Sanborn* (holder)
Long Snapper
Bailey Parsons
[Kyle Petrucci]

Scholarships
Walk-Ons
Players

Total Scholarships: 81 (max 85)
Total Walk-Ons: 21
Total Players: 102
Bold = starter
Italics = non-scholarship
* = burnt shirt
+ = redshirt game played
[player] = injured
(position) = other positional responsibilities
^ = transfer portal
Awesome.  Thanks for posting.  It may be useful to add a footnote to the players who are in the portal, lest people get too excited about the fact that we have 92 scholarship players, when in fact at least seven and maybe more will transfer or retire.

BC
A few notes on the 2020 Stanford Football Personnel grid.

1. To the 2019 Stanford Football Personnel grid, I have added 23 players
    1. The 22-person incoming “CardClass20”
    2. QB Tanner McKee, who returns from his two-year church mission
    3. If we have more signings, I will add them as well

2. From the 2019 Stanford Football Personnel grid, I have removed 11 players
    1. Five who have exhausted their eligibility
      • Three fifth-year players (OLB Casey Toohill, RB Cam Scarlett, ILB Ryan Beecher)
      • One senior who has played all four years (LS Richard McNitzky)
      • One enigmatic sixth-year player (WR IBS)

2. Six who have not exhausted their eligibility
      • Three walk-on seniors, who I am assuming will not stick around for a non-scholarship fifth year (WR Harry Schwartz, OLB Anthony Trinh, K Collin Riccitelli)
      • One player declaring for NFL draft (TE Colby Parkinson)
      • Two seniors with a year of eligibility left who are transferring (OG Dylan Powell, to Indiana; DT Bo Peek, to USF)
      • More players will not be coming back, of course; the current number of scholarships (92) exceeds the NCAA maximum. But several other players in the transfer portal will decide to transfer, graduating seniors will not come back for their fifth year for other reasons, there will be medical retirements or players who will quit the team, etc. I will take names off the grid when it has been confirmed players are leaving, and we will watch the scholarship number shrink to 85.

3. When a player is rostered at two positions, I have listed them according to the position named on the front side of the slash. For instance, if a player is rostered as offensive tackle/guard, I have listed them as a tackle. The only exception to this rule is if a player ends up getting more playing time at the position named at the backside of the slash, for instance, if a tackle/guard ends up playing guard, I switch them to guard in the grid.

4. I have removed all injury designations, though I realize that some players are still injured. This is a projection for the fall, when I am hoping we will have a healthy roster, though recent history suggests it will be otherwise.

5. You will note that I have projected starters marked for some positions, but not others. I have only marked starters at positions where I think we are reasonably sure who the starters will be. I am happy to designate starter status to players if and when it seems we are reasonably sure who the starter will be, e.g., it is announced by coaches, a possible starter transfers leaving an obvious candidate, an injury or poor spring performance removes a player from consideration, etc.

6. As always, I am open to and appreciate any corrections or input.

-m.
It was announced at the signing press conference that Hector would be playing safety.  I think it is safe to move him there.

BC
Outstanding Langdude. The Big Visit is this coming weekend where we expect/hope to sign two. One will go on a mission.
We appear from photos to have a couple in the portal returning but proof will be in announcements
Thank you, Langdude. This is great, as usual. Obviously we'll see some changes here, but excellent to see it in one place.

(01-19-2020, 12:22 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]we have 92 scholarship players [...] in fact at least seven and maybe more will transfer or retire.

If insiders are correct, there will be two more scholarship freshmen to add to this board (keeping in mind DE Lance Keneley is committed but did not sign so he's not on the board yet). As Bob said, there is 1 more probable '20 signee besides Keneley, and the LDS guy won't count til '22. Thus we actually need 9 or more players to transfer/retire.

Given there are 10 scholarship guys still in the portal, we will be extremely close to full if even just a couple of them return, depending on the number of retirements/additional transfers.
The issue is that there are a couple of guys in the portal that we’d prefer to have back, and a couple guys not in the portal that are unlikely to contribute much next year, so even though we might be at 83 or 84 scholarships, functionally it could be closer to 80.

BC
(01-19-2020, 03:32 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]The issue is that there are a couple of guys in the portal that we’d prefer to have back, and a couple guys not in the portal that are unlikely to contribute much next year, so even though we might be at 83 or 84 scholarships, functionally it could be closer to 80.

BC

That's essentially par for the course, though. There will always be scholarship guys who won't play. It's a matter of having enough healthy bodies to actually run competitive practices, scrimmages, and a full spring game.

"Functionally closer to 80" is sooooo much better than functionally closer to 65.
(01-20-2020, 12:16 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2020, 03:32 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]The issue is that there are a couple of guys in the portal that we’d prefer to have back, and a couple guys not in the portal that are unlikely to contribute much next year, so even though we might be at 83 or 84 scholarships, functionally it could be closer to 80.

BC

That's essentially par for the course, though. There will always be scholarship guys who won't play. It's a matter of having enough healthy bodies to actually run competitive practices, scrimmages, and a full spring game.

"Functionally closer to 80" is sooooo much better than functionally closer to 65.

Yes. I'm thrilled that this is a problem.

As has been well covered on this board, a significant part of the struggles of this past year was the cumulative result of Shaw's inability or reluctance to get as close to 85 scholies as possible every year. It results in little or no depth at various positions, as we saw. I don't think that the press adequately covered this failing when speaking of Stanford's down year.

-m.
We have never been close to 65. :)
(01-20-2020, 01:58 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]We have never been close to 65.  :)

The word “functionally” is doing some work there.  We were in the mid to upper 70’s, but amongst those players, there were easily 10+ non-contributors, so that’s like having functionally 65 players.

Obviously, every team is going to have some non-contributors.  You can’t have 85 players on your two-deep, but if you start with 85 players, having a dozen non-contributors leaves you with plenty depth, whereas if you start with 76, you will be dangerously thin at some positions *cough* inside linebackers, safety *cough*

BC
(01-20-2020, 02:13 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2020, 01:58 PM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]We have never been close to 65.  :)

The word “functionally” is doing some work there.  We were in the mid to upper 70’s, but amongst those players, there were easily 10+ non-contributors, so that’s like having functionally 65 players.

Obviously, every team is going to have some non-contributors.  You can’t have 85 players on your two-deep, but if you start with 85 players, having a dozen non-contributors leaves you with plenty depth, whereas if you start with 76, you will be dangerously thin at some positions *cough* inside linebackers, safety *cough*

BC

Agree 100% here. You need to start with as full a roster as possible. There's a reason scholarship sanctions affect teams and set them back years...

This is generally the same issue I took with the recruiting class of '18. Just as with every team overall, every individual recruiting class will have some non-contributors. If (as is the case with '18 so far) 6-7 guys in the class are non-contributors, that's both expected and not a big deal when the class size is pushing 20 or more. It's a MUCH BIGGER deal when the class size is 15. 

The '17 class - also 15 players IIRC - got lucky in terms of "hitting" on most players, but you simply can't count on that. This is why I'm glad the target size for the "smaller" class of '21 appears to be ~18, not 15. If those 3 players all contribute, amazing - but even just 1-2 more contributors per class can make a significant difference when you aggregate over multiple classes.
Added transfer portal designation for fifth years to track their possible departures and Stanford's scholarship availabilities.

-m.
I believe Williams is in the portal.

BC
(01-20-2020, 10:05 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]I believe Williams is in the portal.

BC

I definitely marked Williams; strange that it did not show up for you. I double checked the code. Hopefully it's working now?

-m.
(01-20-2020, 10:37 PM)Langdude Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-20-2020, 10:05 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]I believe Williams is in the portal.

BC

I definitely marked Williams; strange that it did not show up for you. I double checked the code. Hopefully it's working now?

-m.

Yes, working now. Thanks.

BC
https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals100/

Hinton at 25 and Smith at 74. And McKee and quite a haul
(01-21-2020, 11:18 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals100/

Hinton at 25 and Smith at 74.  And McKee and quite a haul

Should go in the "Class of 2020" thread :)

But yes, Hinton should play right away, at the worst as an extra lineman. Will actually be pretty interesting to see if a couple of the frosh who burnt shirts end up retaining them this season. At this point the questions are the status of our portal guys, and after that, who takes the guard spots since we have Little, Dalman, and Sarell pretty firmly entrenched.

There is a grad transfer OL that we're hoping could come take one of those guard spots, but nobody is actively believing that will happen because we don't do transfers.
Scarlett the last grad transfer? The only one ever?
We do have several grad transfers. Track and baseball to name a couple

However I’m not holding my breath either
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10