The CardBoard

Full Version: Today in opponent coaching attrition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Colorado coach Mel Tucker to Michigan State.  In one year at Colorado he went 5-7.

https://theathletic.com/1601435/2020/02/...oach-hire/

BC
Two thoughts:
1. What a total hypocrite. Since he was identified as a potential replacement for D'Antonio he has repeatedly said he's committed to Colorado
2. Fire Larry Scott. The conference can no longer compete on salary with the other major conferences because of the increasingly large revenue gap, now more than $10M per school. This is the direct result of the failure of the network and his failure to more aggressively promote the conference and publicly challenge the CFP, Voldemort voters, etc.
Shaw to Colorado!
The "fire Larry Scott as panacea for the Pac-12" trope is getting a little tiring. You could put literally anyone in his job and it isn't changing the market dynamics that lead to the revenue disparities seen in the Power 5 conferences, and the Pac-12 between the other four in particular.
OF, don't you know?

Phase 1: Fire Larry Scott -> Phase 2: ? -> Phase 3: Profits!

BC
I thought Tucker did some good things in his short time there. If I was a Colorado fan, I'd be very, very upset...mostly at Tucker and some at the Colorado administration, but also at the world in general. Strange confluence of events leading up to this.
[Image: miracle.jpg]
For those who haven't watched South Park, the reference is here:

[Image: Gnomes_plan.png]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnomes_(South_Park)

BC
Why is Lansing, MI considered a preferable destination? You've got Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St in your division for one thing. The Pac-12, and Southern Kal, are down now so that arguably presents an opportunity. Boulder vs Lansing? I'd rather make a pitch to Texas and California kids for Boulder than Lansing, MI. (The thermometer is going down to 0 F in these parts in the next 48 hours.)
(02-12-2020, 09:18 AM)ChicagoCard Wrote: [ -> ]Why is Lansing, MI considered a preferable destination?

Did they make him governor, too?
(02-12-2020, 09:18 AM)ChicagoCard Wrote: [ -> ]Why is Lansing, MI considered a preferable destination? You've got Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St in your division for one thing. The Pac-12, and Southern Kal, are down now so that arguably presents an opportunity. Boulder vs Lansing? I'd rather make a pitch to Texas and California kids for Boulder than Lansing, MI. (The thermometer is going down to 0 F in these parts in the next 48 hours.)

MSU upped the money after the Cincy coach turned them down.

It’s not just the Pac-12 being humbled. What does it say about MSU that they couldn’t hire Fickell?
(02-12-2020, 10:46 AM)chrisk Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-12-2020, 09:18 AM)ChicagoCard Wrote: [ -> ]Why is Lansing, MI considered a preferable destination? You've got Ohio St, Michigan and Penn St in your division for one thing. The Pac-12, and Southern Kal, are down now so that arguably presents an opportunity. Boulder vs Lansing? I'd rather make a pitch to Texas and California kids for Boulder than Lansing, MI. (The thermometer is going down to 0 F in these parts in the next 48 hours.)

MSU upped the money after the Cincy coach turned them down.

It’s not just the Pac-12 being humbled.  What does it say about MSU that they couldn’t hire Fickell?
MSU is in a difficult situation.

tOSU clearly is getting the best available players.   Michigan and Penn State have massive community support.  All three have stunningly impressive stadiums that they fill routinely.   MSU is, at best, in the next tier of that division.   That means a good year will be 9-4 type season with almost no chance at getting to the BigTen CG. 

A football coach working in Ohio would certainly understand the area recruiting landscape and realities.   MSU is a good job, but a top 25 coach at Cincinnati has a better chance at NY6 games than the MSU coach.   Better options will likely emerge for him.

Still MSU has a lot of money, loads of top tier indoor facilities and plays in those massive and famous BigTen stadiums.   Colorado plays Arizona and ASU every year.   THAT is the pitch that gets players and coaches to MSU rather than Colorado.
Larry Scott's all-in approach to making the Pac-12 network its own media organization has failed spectacularly.  Scott's profligate spending, salary, and oversight of a failing conference under his watch is completely inappropriate.  Where the other networks have contracted out their media operations, Scott has spent and spent while attracting little interest from the cable companies at his price point.  You think he's going to be the one to save the Pac-12?

(Everyone needs to read the OregonLive series on the Pac-12 network.)
[Image: serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fwww.marketing...05cd2fa0a5]

As Scott struggles to attract interest from the cable companies, cable companies struggle to attract interest from viewers, especially young viewers.  The next cable TV contract will be rich for conferences because live sports is about the only thing that isn't cratering.  But at some point, people are going to no longer justify having a cable package just to entertain themselves on week ends in the fall, which is why I predict that the following TV contract will be a rude awakening to leagues counting on its revenue.

BC
Interesting that half of the Stanford Men's basketball games are on Network or cable (ESPNs) the other half on the Pac 12.

(02-12-2020, 12:20 PM)fullmetal Wrote: [ -> ]Larry Scott's all-in approach to making the Pac-12 network its own media organization has failed spectacularly.  Scott's profligate spending, salary, and oversight of a failing conference under his watch is completely inappropriate.  Where the other networks have contracted out their media operations, Scott has spent and spent while attracting little interest from the cable companies at his price point.  You think he's going to be the one to save the Pac-12?

(Everyone needs to read the OregonLive series on the Pac-12 network.)
(02-12-2020, 11:05 AM)Farm93 Wrote: [ -> ]Still MSU has a lot of money, loads of top tier indoor facilities and plays in those massive and famous BigTen stadiums.   Colorado plays Arizona and ASU every year.   THAT is the pitch that gets players and coaches to MSU rather than Colorado.

Wait, you mean playing before tens of hostile fans at Stanford Stadium (where every seat has a good view!) isn't a big draw?

And lex and BC, I love how you guys embrace the eye test and the need to play entertaining ball in the Farhan/Giants discussion, but seem to downplay it when it comes to Stanford football.

P.S.  The thing about Tucker is that he was making all kinds of "I'm staying" comments on social media - presumably to keep the Colorado recruits signing the LOIs - and then bailed.  That is classic fraud in the inducement . . . and even if kids are given releases, many of them are going to have a hard time finding a spot somewhere else.  Example one billion of why recruits should sign with the school and not the coach (though according to the Talking Heads on the shows this morning, EVERY recruit signs for the head coach, and head coach alone (which I don't buy)).
(02-12-2020, 12:28 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ][Image: serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fwww.marketing...05cd2fa0a5]

As Scott struggles to attract interest from the cable companies, cable companies struggle to attract interest from viewers, especially young viewers.  The next cable TV contract will be rich for conferences because live sports is about the only thing that isn't cratering.  But at some point, people are going to no longer justify having a cable package just to entertain themselves on week ends in the fall, which is why I predict that the following TV contract will be a rude awakening to leagues counting on its revenue.

BC

Great graphic BC!  I wonder if there's a corresponding graphic of non-cable media in that demographic.  (I'm assuming that would include YouTubeTV, Sling, etc when it comes to sports.  I think even Amazon Prime now offers access to NBA/NFL)

My point being, do we know if general sports viewership is down in that demographic, or is it just related to the delivery media.  The optimal solution for Pac-12 sports would seem to depend on that.
(02-12-2020, 01:23 PM)qwerty49 Wrote: [ -> ]My point being, do we know if general sports viewership is down in that demographic, or is it just related to the delivery media.  The optimal solution for Pac-12 sports would seem to depend on that.

Young person here. Anecdotally speaking, my friends absolutely love watching sports, Stanford sports included. I don't have a single friend in my age group who has cable. We stream everything online. Thus IMO it's related to the delivery media...cable is on the way out.
BC, won't the next contract include potentially different players (i.e., the streaming services) that could significantly increase the rights fees? ESPN and/or Fox may not spend big bucks, but perhaps Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, Twitter, Facebook, etc. (or a combination) will keep the gravy train going.
I just started reading the CU board thread about the Mel Tucker drama. I haven't gotten to the part where he leaves, but, the guy said this on SATURDAY, so I can imagine what kinds of comments await. Just brutal...

And here are some Tucker quotes on a Denver radio station YESTERDAY!

When asked about MSU story:

"Always flattering. As we build this program, there is always going to be interest in all of our coaches. Just lost Jimmy Brumbaugh to Tennessee."

"1st year was about culture shift. 2nd year is about the build. I'm laser focused on the task at hand."

"We must be doing something right here. It's been a tall task to keep our staff intact this offseason."

And after Bruce Feldman reported the news Tucker was in fact headed to Michigan State, a CU fan posted probably what will be the best post in the thread:

MSU basically wrote a blank check for his salary along with assistant coach salaries.

The 5th or 6th best program in the BIG is able to throw that kind of money around, but hey, at least we can all watch water polo and gymnastics on the conference owned Pac 12 network!

LOL - that was perfect!
Pages: 1 2 3 4