The CardBoard

Full Version: NEW, June 16 Women's Basketball Recruiting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
2021:
COMMITS:
Brooke Demetre, 6-3 Wing, CA. Ranked # 4 in her Class.
Jzaniya Harriel 5-9 Guard CA 4.75 GPA ranked # 1 Nor Cal and #52 ESPN
Eleni Bosgana, 6-2 Wing from Greece

Possible:
Azzi Fudd, 5-11 Guard VA, ranked # 1 in her Class. Per Jan 10, 2018 story we have offered or shown great interest.
Khylee Pepe, 6-0 Guard SoCal - NR
Ally Stedman, 5-9 G, AZ. Committed to Pepperdine
Okikiola "Kiki" Iriafen, 6-2 F, SoCal, ranked # 9 She has visited. She lists Stanford in her top five as of 6/14/20.
Mia Hughes 5-11 Wing from Washington. Was outstanding player for her division at their state tournament.
Tatiana Popa, 6-5 Post MD.  Committed to Nebraska June 20, 2020.

2022:
Kiki Rice, Guard from DC. Ranked # 6 Niece of Susan Rice. Kiki has visited. On the National 16U team.
Timea Gardiner, 6-2 4/5 Utah. On the National 16U team, ranked # 5. Offer made to Gardiner.
Londynn Jones, 5-5 PG, SoCal ranked # 7
Maya Nnaji, 6-4 Post MN ranked #8. Offer made.
Lauren Betts, 6-7 Post CO Ranked # 1
Shay Bollin, 6-3 Forward. MA Ranked # 7.  Announced on June 25, 2020 she has a Stanford offer
Carleigh Wenzel, 5-11 Guard San Antonio TX
Caroline Lau 5-6 PG CT. # 8 PG in the class PN
Natalie Johnson, 5-7 PG/SG MD. Not ranked but followed by a Stanford coach
Jennah Isai, 5-11 AZ, Wing # 54
Ysabella Fauntleroy, 6-1 W MO # 55
Indya Nivar 5-9 G NC, # 17
Christeen Iwuala, 6-3 Post TX, # 10 Post
Grace Vanslooten, 6-3 F OH, # 14
Ashlon Jackson, 5-10 G TX # 19
Zyanna Walker, 5-8 G KS # 22
Ndjakalenga Mwenentanda 6-2 W SD
Mila Reynolds, 6-2 GUARD Ranked # 41 From :) South Bend Indiana

2023:
Judea Watkins, 6-0 Wing Windward HS in August. Youngest player at the recent 16U tryouts. Ranked top 25
Sofia Bell, 6-1 PG Portland OR. Followed by both Kate and Tempie
Bri Camaj, 6-0 G PA honor student plays for the famous Philly Belles. Followed by a Stanford coach
Amanda Muse, 6-3 Post Nor Cal Frosh of the Year. 4.0 HPA Local and 4.0 so thought I’d add
Courtney Ogden, 6-1 Wing GA, Ranked # 5
Donovyn Hunter, OR, Dad says has a Stanford offer. True or not shows interest. Prep Girl # 26
Madison Booker, 6-1 W # 18 MS
Laci Steele, 5-10 G, OK, # 22 ASGR
Maggie Mendelson, 6-6 Post UT, # 22  Also a top Volleyball player, maybe top 10 in her class
Ebelechukwu Mbagwu, 5-5 G, CA
Ashlynn Shade, 5-9 G, IN ranked # 1 indiana for 2023s

2024:
Kendall Dudley, 6-2 Forward, DC ranked # 1 by one site.
Done. Would a mod please add today's posts to this tread. Thanks
Thanks, Bob. It's really good to have this new thread -- and as always, thanks for your keeping us all up to date on this.
Thanks!! But no bueno, Bob - if I move older posts into this thread they become older than your first post, and whoever's post is the oldest becomes the Czar of the thread, and your list of recruits drops down. Best we can do is post a link to the recent portion of that thread here, for anyone who wants to come back to it later on for posterity's sake.
Thanks 2006.

I added 4 players. Muse, 2023, a hunch, and three others because they are followed by Kate or Tempie or both
Johnson a 2022
Camaj and Bell who are 2023s
my in-laws live right down the road from Hull.  Hull is undergoing a bit of renaissance of late.  population is probably up to 225 or so.
This is about recruiting, if finding a new assistant coach is about recruiting. I talked to some Stanford folks today -- who have to remain anonymous, as does the reason I was talking to them -- and asked about the hiring freeze and how it applies to sports, in particular women's BB. None of what follows is absolutely sure, but here's what I took away from their responses. Freeze applies to everyone at Stanford, academic, sports, support, etc. It will be in place for a yet to be determined period, but announcements re how they are going to proceed may be coming in June. Note that "may be." In meantime, much review is going on, including classifying positions as essential or less so. Coaches of major sports are almost certainly going to be classified as essential. They were sure that that would include women's basketball. Preliminary recruiting to fill the position is likely to begin this summer. Actual hiring may be delayed until the start of the next fiscal year.  I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but it's more than I've heard up to now.
WBB certainly can’t hire now. June? July ? Or as WBB fan says Sept.
however they are recruiting a potential assistant. Of course just names as the hire could be way off in time.
Rumor again rumor on the Oregon State board is that Talia has committed to the Beavers
If true on the Talia rumors, our well did dry up very quickly didn't it?

A plethora of candidates it seemed like just a couple months ago has gotten very small.

Hopefully we can make it up with a Fudd commitment or a of immense proportions 2022 class with Betts, Jones, Rice and Gardiner or both.
Disappointing if true, and yes, it does seem like our 2021 class is not turning out quite like we hoped. I do think we've gotten a little wildly optimistic given all the top recruits we have landed, however. Right now we are the only program to land three top 5 recruits in the 2019-2021 classes, and the only one to have one in each. Because some of our recruits like Brink and Demetre committed early, it means that our "big get" recruit happens long before most are highly attuned to that class. 

Another thing to remember, and I know I've said it before but it bears repeating, is that top recruits want playing time. Most of the programs that have consistently landed a lot top recruits, like UConn, Tennessee, Duke, and South Carolina, have also seen a lot of them transfer out, something that's a highly, highly undesirable option for Stanford student-athletes. Through the end of the Class of 2021's year, we will have a LOT of top recruits competing for playing time. 

Last, remember that we don't always know about door one problems, as Bob likes to put it. Lots of admissions indications for recruited student athletes happen around this time of year as test scores come back, etc., so it's not surprising our pool tends to winnow significantly by end of a recruiting class's junior year. There is a reason why it's very rare for a top recruit like Jones to announce her admission offer months ahead of her decision.

And so much to look forward to over the next few years... once there is basketball again.
(05-14-2020, 09:15 PM)2006alum Wrote: [ -> ]Disappointing if true, and yes, it does seem like our 2021 class is not turning out quite like we hoped. I do think we've gotten a little wildly optimistic given all the top recruits we have landed, however. Right now we are the only program to land three top 5 recruits in the 2019-2021 classes, and the only one to have one in each. Because some of our recruits like Brink and Demetre committed early, it means that our "big get" recruit happens long before most are highly attuned to that class. 

Another thing to remember, and I know I've said it before but it bears repeating, is that top recruits want playing time. Most of the programs that have consistently landed a lot top recruits, like UConn, Tennessee, Duke, and South Carolina, have also seen a lot of them transfer out, something that's a highly, highly undesirable option for Stanford student-athletes. Through the end of the Class of 2021's year, we will have a LOT of top recruits competing for playing time. 

Last, remember that we don't always know about door one problems, as Bob likes to put it. Lots of admissions indications for recruited student athletes happen around this time of year as test scores come back, etc., so it's not surprising our pool tends to winnow significantly by end of a recruiting class's junior year. There is a reason why it's very rare for a top recruit like Jones to announce her admission offer months ahead of her decision.

And so much to look forward to over the next few years... once there is basketball again.

Top recruits want playing time... and National Championships.
The Stanford Women's Basketball twitter account just started following Kiki Iriafen.  Not a guarantee of anything but it is a good sign.  Here is the history of whom they follow:
  • For a while, the account would only start following players once they had committed.  Sometimes this would be a day or two before news about a recruit was public
  • Then they started following a handful of recruits but not commits.  For example they started following Sonia Citron after she got an offer (we know this because Citron or her team made the offer public)
  • But it was only a very small number of potential recruits
  • Most recently, they started following Harriel after she committed
Basically my thinking is that Iriafen has been a known recruit for a while now, she isn't some new 2023 target.  Now is the time when 2021's are making their decisions.  Seems weird to randomly add her now unless a) Iriafen has recently gotten good news about admissibility and is deciding or hopefully b) Iriafen has committed and it will be public soon.

This is all speculation on my part.  No inside info.
Wow that’s great news Bos Card. Let’s hope it’s admissions news.

Now the down side I looked at Mia Hughes stats and just two threes in her career.

That said After 10 years as a pro Brook Lopez became a great three shooter
(05-15-2020, 07:20 AM)BobK Wrote: [ -> ]Wow that’s great news Bos Card. Let’s hope it’s admissions news.

Now the down side I looked at Mia Hughes stats and just two threes in her career.

That said After 10 years as a pro Brook Lopez became a great three shooter

Tara needs to fill 15 spots and they can't all start, so if Mia Hughes is in the mold of Jenna Brown (great driving guard but not much of a shooter), not the end of the world, especially if we get Kiki Iriafen. And yes, BosCard, thanks for sharing your sharp observations about the social media followings!

If we got Demetre and Iriafen + lower ranked recruits I would consider that to be among our best classes - when was the last time we had a top 5 and a second top 10 in one year? Ever? (Tells you something about how greedy we have been getting that that feels underwhelming!)

BTW: what we really need for 2022 is a PG - otherwise everything rests on Van Gytenbeek after 2021. Let's hope we are on our way to signing two Kikis...
Talia Von Oelhoffen - I can't find anything on any media site or forum about a possible commit to OSU

Rumor about Talia now on OSU board
The StanfordWBB Instagram account also recently followed Iriafen (it follows von Oelhoffen as well). 

It also follows 2022s Lau, Rice, and Gardiner.

Definitely adds some optimism to Iriafen.

It’s Oregon state
Why does the song “Another One Bites the Dust” come to mind? If she were admitted, I’d have to think driving distance for parents to see games would have been factor? We live in strange times.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8