The CardBoard

Full Version: The NFL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has a season ever started with less fanfare than this one. Amazed at how little conversation, media attention, and sports talk has been devoted to the NFL. Quite surprising, frankly.

And out of curiosity, why doesn't every helmet come with a plexiglass face shield? I would have thought that would have been mandatory equipment.
I didn't watch one second of the NFL game last night. Instead, my TV was tuned to U.S. Open Women's Semifinals. I wanted to see Osaka, and was hoping to see Serena on her way to tying Margaret Court.

I'm just not "feeling" football season. I felt the same way about the NBA bubble at first, but have since found it to be compelling. Maybe I'll get more into it on Sunday.

But one observation I do have: cutting off media access to your team does nothing but mute the passion your fans have for it.
It's Friday and there are still some unanswered questions about Levis on Sunday. The best news for me is that there will be little sideline presence so my shot will look cleaner. Damn still photographers!
Notably, yesterday was the first day EVER that the NFL, MLB, NBA, WNBA, MLS, and NHL all played on the same day. Not to mention the US Open and CFB (Miami played UAB). A sports smorgasboard. (Sporgasboard?)
(09-10-2020, 07:30 PM)cardcrimson Wrote: [ -> ]Has a season ever started with less fanfare than this one. Amazed at how little conversation, media attention, and sports talk has been devoted to the NFL. Quite surprising, frankly.

And out of curiosity, why doesn't every helmet come with a plexiglass face shield? I would have thought that would have been mandatory equipment.

The fact that it was a blowout certainly didn't help. I think part of the issue is that bigger and more important things are in the news. Woodward revelations, COVID-19, and social justice. People are also probably more glued to their Netflix shows than football.
(09-11-2020, 01:57 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote: [ -> ]Notably, yesterday was the first day EVER that the NFL, MLB, NBA, WNBA, MLS, and NHL all played on the same day. Not to mention the US Open and CFB (Miami played UAB). A sports smorgasboard. (Sporgasboard?)

The ratings will be interesting - I can see them being down for a variety of reasons, including lack of buildup and interest, due to "more important things."  Also, one colleague said he has given up on US pro sports because he does not appreciate "all the lecturing" on social justice matters (I think an easy out is to just avoid all pre-game coverage, but whatever . . . ).

All I know is we had the NFL game on one TV last night, and the Gyros on the other.

Speaking of the NFL, how can they possibly play the game at Santa Clara on Sunday?  The air quality right now is a "very unhealthy" 232, and it is projected to be over 200 on Sunday.  How bad will it look if NFL players are gasping for air and holding their chests from inhaling ash for 3+ hours?
(09-11-2020, 04:14 PM)teejers1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2020, 01:57 PM)SamuelMcF Wrote: [ -> ]Notably, yesterday was the first day EVER that the NFL, MLB, NBA, WNBA, MLS, and NHL all played on the same day. Not to mention the US Open and CFB (Miami played UAB). A sports smorgasboard. (Sporgasboard?)

The ratings will be interesting - I can see them being down for a variety of reasons, including lack of buildup and interest, due to "more important things."  Also, one colleague said he has given up on US pro sports because he does not appreciate "all the lecturing" on social justice matters (I think an easy out is to just avoid all pre-game coverage, but whatever . . . ).

All I know is we had the NFL game on one TV last night, and the Gyros on the other.

Speaking of the NFL, how can they possibly play the game at Santa Clara on Sunday?  The air quality right now is a "very unhealthy" 232, and it is projected to be over 200 on Sunday.  How bad will it look if NFL players are gasping for air and holding their chests from inhaling ash for 3+ hours?

Not certain on this, but I believe the NFL has a rule that if it’s over 200 they can’t play.  What they should have done earlier this week is move the game to Arizona.  (No fans being inconvenienced.  But now I think it’s too late logistically) They play twice. So they could have moved the other one to Levi’s.  Of course, by then the locusts will be upon us.....
(09-11-2020, 04:19 PM)lex24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2020, 04:14 PM)teejers1 Wrote: [ -> ]

Not certain on this, but I believe the NFL has a rule that if it’s over 200 they  can’t play.  What they should have done earlier this week is move the game to Arizona.  (No fans being inconvenienced.  But now I think it’s too late logistically) They play twice. So they could have moved the other one to Levi’s.  Of course, by then the locusts will be upon us.....

Yeah, that would have made sense.

But I separately think the NFL should kick the entire schedule 3 weeks as a buffer of sorts.  Hard to imagine no games being impacted by Covid . . . so I would have had some placeholder "make up" days for games that just can't be played.  If they had done that, then they could slot this game there (though I'm sure they would hate to do that for a non-Covid reason).

Under normal circumstances it would be called a sports equinox (when all major sports leagues hold games).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/tod...s-equinox/

This would be some kind of blood red harvest moon equinox. 

BC
(09-11-2020, 04:19 PM)lex24 Wrote: [ -> ]Of course, by then the locusts will be upon us.....

I'm predicting an earthquake, followed by a repeat of the Great Flood of 1862. Surprisingly, according to Native American lore, not all that uncommon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Flood_of_1862

(09-11-2020, 05:06 PM)BostonCard Wrote: [ -> ]

Under normal circumstances it would be called a sports equinox (when all major sports leagues hold games).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/tod...s-equinox/

This would be some kind of blood red harvest moon equinox. 

BC

How about a burnt orange midday sky?
(09-11-2020, 05:12 PM)cardcrimson Wrote: [ -> ]I'm predicting an earthquake, followed by a repeat of the Great Flood of 1862. Surprisingly, according to Native American lore, not all that uncommon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Flood_of_1862

I realize that California is a dry state.  But about every 200 years or so, there exists a combination of factors that create a megaflood.  The last one was 158 years ago, the Great Flood of 1862 which put much of California under water, and forced the relocation of the state capital from Sacramento to San Francisco for a time.  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Flood_of_1862

These floods occurred in A.D.: 212, 440, 603, 1029, c. 1300, 1418, 1605, 1750, 1810, and 1861–62. The flood in 1605 was particularly strong, making the 1862 flood look like a summer mist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_flood_of_1605

The U. S. Geological Survey estimates that the Flood of 1605, were it to happen today, would produce 3x the damage of a massive Southern California earthquake.  I'm not sleeping tonight...
https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/ofr20101312
(09-12-2020, 12:26 PM)Mick Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-11-2020, 05:12 PM)cardcrimson Wrote: [ -> ]I'm predicting an earthquake, followed by a repeat of the Great Flood of 1862. Surprisingly, according to Native American lore, not all that uncommon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Flood_of_1862

I realize that California is a dry state.  But about every 200 years or so, there exists a combination of factors that create a megaflood.  The last one was 158 years ago, the Great Flood of 1862 which put much of California under water, and forced the relocation of the state capital from Sacramento to San Francisco for a time.  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Flood_of_1862

These floods occurred in A.D.: 212, 440, 603, 1029, c. 1300, 1418, 1605, 1750, 1810, and 1861–62. The flood in 1605 was particularly strong, making the 1862 flood look like a summer mist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_flood_of_1605

The U. S. Geological Survey estimates that the Flood of 1605, were it to happen today, would produce 3x the damage of a massive Southern California earthquake.  I'm not sleeping tonight...
https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/ofr20101312

December 1955 was no slouch either.  The slide at Emerald Bay and the Yuba City Flood were the result of an amazing amount of rainfall.
Thanks Giants I was trying to think of the flood IN The fifties. My street was flooded but only maybe 18”
From the ARKStorm report: The 1862 flood was so bad “it required Governor Leland Stanford to take a rowboat to his inauguration.”

Thanks for sharing. I had no idea a thread about the NFL would lead to me reading about the predicted impact from a 2,000 year flood in California, but kinda cool that it did.
Back to football - it will be interesting to see TV ratings. I predict records will be broken.
Big flood in ‘55 in Marysville and Yuba City. Bigger in ‘64 in Humboldt. My in laws were on a bump near the Van Duden and were able to accommodate a few extra herds from ranches below the flood line.

Entry to Levi pretty smooth. Air quality OK with a slight breeze. They have cranked up the crowd noise to ear shaking levels. None of the cutouts complaining.
Hope you do a dance when they show you Phogge. Become more famous
Really strange day apart from the action. Just seemed like a bunch of guys got together and put on unis. Very big guys. Hooray, the sideline was the cleanest ever. They got rid of the still guys and the hangers-on.

Turn on Inside the NFL this week and our stuff will be epic.
(09-13-2020, 11:03 AM)Phogge Wrote: [ -> ]Big flood in ‘55 in Marysville and Yuba City. Bigger in ‘64 in Humboldt. My in laws were on a bump near the Van Duden and were able to accommodate a few extra herds from ranches below the flood line.

Entry to Levi pretty smooth. Air quality OK with a slight breeze. They have cranked up the crowd noise to ear shaking levels. None of the cutouts complaining.

Van Duzen?  There used to be a high water mark along 101 where it runs along the Eel river.  Hard to imagine the river having that much water in it.
I know the mark you mean but the ‘64 Flood came up almost to Fernbridge and flooded the Van Duzen in Alton.
Pages: 1 2